Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20709 [287]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [71]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1162 [39]
Given Kudos: 228
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.62
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [11]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients.

(A) at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients
(B) at being a preventive against catastrophic illness financially destroying elderly patients
(C) at preventing a catastrophic illness from financially destroying the elderly patient
(D) to prevent a catastrophic illness financially destroying an elderly patient
(E) to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness

The entry into the topic is through the split between the singular patient and the plural patients. Nobody will enact a law for the sake of a single patient or the patient. Therefore, let's drop C and D.

In B and E, the use of the word 'being' used as modifier renders them wrong.

Particularly the use of 'to prevent' will be redundant in D and E because, we already have 'aimed at" as a purpose marker.

A remains as the correct choice.

Particularly the use of 'to prevent' will be redundant in D and E because, we already have 'aimed at" as a purpose marker.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19727 [8]
Given Kudos: 50
Send PM
Re: When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
hazelnut wrote:
When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients.

(A) at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients
(B) at being a preventive against catastrophic illness financially destroying elderly patients
(C) at preventing a catastrophic illness from financially destroying the elderly patient
(E) to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness

SC49561.01

Official Explanation

Verb Form; Diction

Two issues can be identified here: first, we must determine what form follows the phrase it was aimed, used to describe a goal or intended purpose; second, we must determine what preposition (if any) connects prevent or its cognates with the thing that is actually prevented.

A. This choice uses the idiomatically correct was aimed at. However, the word prevention incorrectly takes both the preposition of and the preposition from; this makes the sentence awkward and ambiguous. Furthermore, using the noun prevention makes the sentence wordier than choices using some form of the verb to prevent.

B. This choice uses the idiomatically correct was aimed at. However, using the noun a preventative makes the sentence wordier than cases using some form of the verb to prevent.

C. Correct. The phrase at preventing is correct in context: it describes Medicare's intended purpose. Furthermore, the preposition from correctly indicates a consequence that has been prevented.

D. This choice uses the idiomatically incorrect was aimed to. Furthermore, it fails to use the idiomatically correct prevent from.

E. This choice uses the idiomatically incorrect was aimed to. Furthermore, it fails to use the idiomatically correct prevent from.

The correct answer is C.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM
Please Experts,suggest me from where should I learn idioms that are frequently tested in GMAT ? Thanks ☺

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [6]
Given Kudos: 76
WE:General Management (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
shaonkarim wrote:
Please Experts,suggest me from where should I learn idioms that are frequently tested in GMAT ? Thanks ☺

Posted from my mobile device

Hi shaonkarim

Three things come to my mind:

1) a very concise list of "the most common idioms" by Magoosh:
https://magoosh.resources.s3.amazonaws.c ... Idioms.pdf

2) a great guide by GMATNinja who, in some way, busts myths to learn all 25,000 idioms:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/experts-topi ... 41848.html

3) another one, very reputable ManhattanPrep Sentence Correction Guide (they have a special section for Idioms and Odd/Ends)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Expert Reply
IDIOMS

(A) at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients ---- "prevention of X from Y" is an incorrect idiom. The correct idiom is "to prevent X from Y". Therefore, the idiom requires the verboid form of "prevent". It can't be set with the noun.
(B) at being a preventive against catastrophic illness financially destroying elderly patients ---- "being a preventive" is extremely wordy.
(C) at preventing a catastrophic illness from financially destroying the elderly patient ----- CORRECT
(D) to prevent a catastrophic illness financially destroying an elderly patient ---- the correct idiom should be "aiming at"
(E) to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness ----- the correct idiom should be "aiming at"
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

hazelnut wrote:

Choice A: Option A incorrectly uses the noun form of "preventing", "prevention”; the correct form of the idiom "aimed at" requires it to be followed by a verb in the "verb+ing" form. Thus, Option A is incorrect.

Choice B: Option B is needlessly wordy, due to its use of the word "being". Thus, Option B is not a good answer choice.

Choice C: Option C is quite concise and maintains the correct use of idioms throughout the sentence. Thus, C is correct.

Choice D: In Option D, we see the use of the unidiomatic phrase "aimed to". Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: Option E utilizes the same unidiomatic phrase that Option D does. Thus, Option E is incorrect.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

To understand the concept of “Use of ‘Being’ on GMAT”, you may want to watch the following video (~2 minutes):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [2]
Given Kudos: 185
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja could you please help us choose between option A and C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1731 [11]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
Send PM
When Medicare was enacted in 1965, it was aimed at the prevention of a [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sentence Analysis

The sentence provides the original aim of Medicare. The sentence seems to say that the aim was to prevent a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients.

The sentence has the following problems:

1. As is, the sentence means that the law, Medicare, was aimed at preventing a catastrophic illness – this doesn’t make much sense. How can a law prevent people from suffering catastrophic illnesses?
2. The modification of “prevention” by “from financially destroying elderly patients” doesn’t make sense since “prevention from financially destroying patients” doesn’t make sense.

Option Analysis

A. at the prevention of a catastrophic illness from financially destroying elderly patients
Incorrect. For the reasons mentioned above.

B. at being a preventive against catastrophic illness financially destroying elderly patients
Incorrect. For the following reasons:

1. The phrase “aimed at being a preventive against illness” is sufficiently awkward. For example, we don’t say “This protest is aimed at being a demonstrator for the injustice”; we say “This protest is aimed at demonstrating the injustice”.
2. In this option, “financially destroying elderly patients” is a verb-ing modifier for the “illness”. Thus, the option means that the law was aimed at preventing some kind of illness. What kind of illnesses? The kind of illnesses that are financially destroying elderly patients. Neither of these aspects – the law aiming at preventing illnesses, and preventing illnesses that are currently financially destroying elderly patients – makes sense.

C. at preventing a catastrophic illness from financially destroying the elderly patient
Correct. This option says that the law was aimed at preventing x from doing y i.e. the aim was that x should not be able to do y. In other words, the aim was that a catastrophic illness should not be able to financially destroy elderly patients. That makes a lot of sense. Financial aid could be provided to elderly people who are suffering from a catastrophic illness so that they don’t get financially destroyed.

D. to prevent a catastrophic illness financially destroying an elderly patient
Incorrect. This option has the second error of option B.

E. to prevent elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness
Incorrect. This option says that the law is trying to prevent elderly patients! Doesn’t make sense. Also, “being financially destroyed” is a verb-ing modifier for “patients”, meaning that we are talking about patients that are currently being destroyed by a catastrophic illness. Again, doesn’t make sense.

Please note that while the official explanation says that “aimed to” is incorrect, this use is quite common in credible publications such as WSJ.com and Nytimes.com. Thus, we do not consider this construction incorrect.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
unraveled wrote:
BillyZ wrote:

SC49561.01

Hello GMATNinja / experts..
I eliminated A after comparing it with C using VAN rule, though i don't if i applied it in a correct manner. Here 'the prevention... illness' is the noun phrase and sentence after that just don't make sense.
E, i got rid off as it changes the meaning. Is it saying that Medicare was for those elderly only who were financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness? No, i don't think so. Besides, there's one more question to ask - 'to prevent' WHAT??!!. Something's missing.

The singular 'patient', however, wasted my time to select C.

I think you're on the right track regarding (E). In (E), it sounds like Medicare was enacted to prevent elderly patients themselves -- as if there was a group of "elderly patients being financially destroyed by a catastrophic illness" and Medicare's goal was to "prevent" that group. Um... prevent them from doing something? Prevent the group from existing?

The logical meaning is more clear in (C): What was Medicare aimed at preventing? The financial destruction OF the elderly patient BY a catastrophic illness.

Here's an explanation of (A) vs (C) that doesn't depend on the alleged VAN rule.

Genoa2000 wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
dadele wrote:
GMATNinja could you please help us choose between option A and C.

The phrase "aim at" seems to have two possible functions. One is to aim the way we'd focus a gun on a target. In this case, we'd want a noun to come after the phrase. For example:

Tim aimed the Super Soaker at his toddler's head, greatly displeasing the toddler's grandparents.

The target here is the "toddler's head," a simple noun phrase.

The other way "aim at" can be used is to convey the sense of attempting to achieve a goal. In this case, the phrase is often followed by an -ing action:

Most of Tim's therapy has been aimed at making him less cruel and vengeful towards his children.

Now the therapy has an objective: making Tim less cruel.

Notice that, in (A) "aim at" is followed by the noun "prevention," and in (C) "aim at" is followed by the -ing form, "preventing. So the real question here is which usage makes more sense: are we focusing a projectile on a target, in which case, we'd prefer the noun? Or are we trying to achieve a goal, in which case, we'd want the -ing?

It doesn't make a whole lot of sense to claim that someone is launching Medicare at a target the way one might shoot an arrow. Rather, it's more logical to write that Medicare is attempting to achieve a goal, so it's the second usage that's appropriate, and we want to follow "aim at" with an -ing that captures the goal. This is what we have in (C).

I hope that helps!

Hi Ninja, great explanation.
I think I got another difference between the two, it seems that "aim at + -ing" cannot be active, or at least, it is mostly used in passive form.

What do you think?

Hmm... not sure I follow. Can you elaborate? The main subject-verb pair in the clause ("it was aimed") is identical in all five answer choices, so I'm not sure that passive vs. active could be an issue here at all. But let us know if you're thinking of something different.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [2]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Kudos
Dear IanStewart

What bewilders me in C is “the elderly patient”.
“the” seems to talk about one exact elderly patient, doesn’t it? While reading C, I was wondering how an entire Medicare can be enacted for one person? As it is, the correct choice is adopted from The New York Times. I browsed it but still have no clue. I would much appreciate if you could elucidate.

Many thanks in advance.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9242 [3]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos