Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

LBS vs. Wharton

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [2]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [2]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
LBS or Wharton? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Congratulations! Wharton is a pretty amazing opportunity in terms of recruiting into tech on the west coast - they are doing a lot! Unfortunately the schools are not really peers but I understand the London focus and that's great. I would say that this is your one opportunity to do something different and be outside of the US/travel/etc because then loan payments kick in, family, mortgage, kids, and you are toast at the point. You won't be able to take much time off until you are 50+. At the same time you need to really figure out how much London matters to you. I know most people who are graduating after 2 years of poverty and not having a job, are pretty fed up with a student lifestyle and all of that romance and want to get into a solid job that allow them to get a good footing and help start paying off their loans.... few are thinking of a hiatus in Europe.

As to LBS - yes, strong in London but has a bit of a limited/unknown name in the US. I feel the biggest unknown will be the ease of employable with the work permit after graduation. I have not seen any indicators that it would be tightening and I believe LBS is Tier 4 in the UK which provides a lot more freedom with recruiting. I would just double-check on that. If your goal is to be in London, then LBS is the good option. My cousin is going there in the Fall and that was his first choice (he did not have Wharton offer though, only a WL at Darden). At the same time, the caliber of students and the size of the program, employers that come on campus, class choices, are far superior to what you will find at LBS. How to value that? Not sure.... but it would be much harder to get a Work Permit in the UK with a Wharton diploma than LBS and the company hiring you would need to jump some hoops.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [4]
Schools: Wharton (A)
Send PM
Re: LBS or Wharton? [#permalink]
Kudos
I'm a Wharton MBA and did a semester at LBS via an exchange program between the schools. Both are fantastic in their own right (for the reasons already cited by others replying to this post). The choice really does come down to 1) how important it is for you to work in London post-MBA 2) where you intend to build your career long-term. If you are planning on returning to the US long-term (i.e., have no intention of staying in the UK/Europe forever), Wharton will give you the leverage in the US that LBS won't. Take it from someone who has moved around a lot. Different degrees carry different weight/leverage depending on where you are. So it's important to factor in your long-term plans in choosing the right school for you.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow. I could not have imagined a better suited person to respond to this decision. Thank you for finding this discussion and weighing in!

How was your impression of LBS vs Wharton? What stuck out? I am taking LBS more international? How was the overall feel about recruiting? Campus recruiting?

What attracted you in particular to LBS? What motivated you to do a semester abroad? (I did mine at HKUST and still not sure if it was the right move :lol: ).

PS. Sorry for all the questions but I don’t want to lose this opportunity :thumbup:

ConsultMasaki wrote:
I'm a Wharton MBA and did a semester at LBS via an exchange program between the schools. Both are fantastic in their own right (for the reasons already cited by others replying to this post). The choice really does come down to 1) how important it is for you to work in London post-MBA 2) where you intend to build your career long-term. If you are planning on returning to the US long-term (i.e., have no intention of staying in the UK/Europe forever), Wharton will give you the leverage in the US that LBS won't. Take it from someone who has moved around a lot. Different degrees carry different weight/leverage depending on where you are. So it's important to factor in your long-term plans in choosing the right school for you.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [3]
Schools: Wharton (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Like you say, LBS was (and is) wildly international in a way that you can't expect at US MBA programs. So I do understand how that is a draw for many US-based admits who have never lived/studied/worked abroad. Sitting in a classroom at LBS, and moreover, living in London (which rivals New York in terms of diversity, opportunities, and social scene), is a unique and valuable experience on its own. Classroom debates at LBS truly reflect the diverse experiences of students. But again, if coming back to the US long-term, Wharton may be the safer bet. I chose to attend Wharton for this very reason (over European schools), and did the one semester exchange to get a taste of the LBS experience without losing sight of long-term prospects in North America. Attending a school that has a strong hold among employers in that geography matters. I would choose a European school if staying in Europe long-term, and a US school if your long-term plans are in the US or other markets. There's too much to cover in one post, but that's my high-level take.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thanks! Appreciate the high level overview.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks all. After attending both Welcome Weekends, think I may actually take the risky choice and opt for LBS. Having been at Penn undergrad (with an alumni database that already includes Wharton grads), it feels like I'd have a more impactful MBA experience at LBS versus being back in Philly. Wharton students admitted its pretty difficult to find jobs in London, given the need for sponsorship and fact that companies aren't recruiting from Wharton for European offices (with the exception of opps in finance and a few consulting firms). Happy to elaborate if people have additional questions.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72861 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
mbaprospect2020 wrote:
Thanks all. After attending both Welcome Weekends, think I may actually take the risky choice and opt for LBS. Having been at Penn undergrad (with an alumni database that already includes Wharton grads), it feels like I'd have a more impactful MBA experience at LBS versus being back in Philly. Wharton students admitted its pretty difficult to find jobs in London, given the need for sponsorship and fact that companies aren't recruiting from Wharton for European offices (with the exception of opps in finance and a few consulting firms). Happy to elaborate if people have additional questions.

Congratulations on taking the plunge and your choice!!!! You will get heading over to LBS with my cousin this fall! He is deployed right now and for some crazy reason picked LBS (well, not crazy but still, not an orthodox choice for most, but he had his reasons just like you). Keep an eye out for a big quiet guy ;-)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
congratulation! You are brave! It wasn't easy to leave the dreamy option!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts