Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 590 Q45 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q35 V30
GMAT 3: 610 Q33 V40
GMAT 4: 680 Q44 V38
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [2]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
Send PM
Re: GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680. [#permalink]
Great debrief, Thanks for sharing. All the best for your app.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Send PM
GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680. [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks for your kind words, great questions, see my answers below:

adkikani wrote:
Pumaman5
Could you throw light on few more pointers:
  • Did your job involve fair amount of commute? If so, how did you utilize time efficiently in those periods?
  • How did you balance 100 quant qs / SC in a day?? Any particular plan / strategy (e..g using Analytics tab
    from online courses that you took) to move from say one sub-section (modifiers in SC to word problems in quant)
  • Finally, a close call to take last two fresh official prep in closing weeks of retake, huh? What one take away would you share as a learning from such perseverance that would help fellow members on this forum?

1. My daily commute is around 30 min (round-trip) and often I use my bike. If you mean travel to the client, no, I dont travel that much (perhaps 1-2x per month). Given that my job requires that much dedication and time, I tried to carve out an hour in the morning before I leave my house. Math Revolution has these 5 questions per day, this is really useful and represents the kind of things I did in this hour. Math is about practicing, so I wanted to keep the practice up.

2. My initial post hasnt been clear in this regard, I did not study 100 SC question per day but 100-150 quant and 10 SC. At this stage, my verbal was good enough so I just wanted to ensure it stays this way. What I mean by this, I usually did a set of 10, focused to remain below 20 min and max 2 wrong. Those 2 wrong I looked into it and tried to understand why I chose the wrong answer (e.g. sounded better, did not consider the not underlined part, etc.). I further created a list with my wrong SC questions + questions that tested a particularly SC skill (e.g. there is usually one question that tests you on "that, those" or a question that tests you on the right usage of past perfect). 2-3 days before test day, instead of new questions I only worked with thiis "best of" list which included my errors and typical SC questions. In my study periods before, I alternated between quant and verbal (e.g. 2h quant, break, 2h SC, repeat). I figured the only area in which I can fairly quick improve was SC (also it usually represented over 50% of my errors). So I watched the GMATninja videos in addition to practice with the OG question bank.
For quant I chose a different approach. Problem here, I did not know where my weak spots were. I had a roughly good understanding of most concepts but in almost each sub chapter 1-2 blind spots. It got confirmed through the fact that my error rate in 600-700 questions was similar to my error rate for 700+ questions. TTP was ideal for this because it builds a very comprehensive foundation and really uncovers your weak spots.
For both parts I did not really follow a list of sub-sections and ticked each once done but I worked the other way around. Through the practice questions, whenever I encountered a certain type of question that gave me a hard time, I used this forum's question bank to find similar questions and solved 10-20 of those.

3. Yes and no, don't forget I already took several mock tests before. With those two tests I actually only wanted to gain confidence and see that my scores no longer fluctuate (which was the case, I had identical scores in both). Ideally you take those tests earlier and what I personally consider very helpful is to repeat one of the previous tests a day before test day. While your score will be inflated (bear this in mind!!) it feels great to see such a high score and it reduces your anxiety and builds confidence.

4. Take care of your mental state. One of my best friends was also studying for it and we talked almost each Saturday or Sunday. By sharing experiences made, lessons learned and just having someone to talk to, you will feel much better. In the end, your score will be determined by a number of factors. You can practice little and achieve a high score just by being mentally in your best state. On the other side, you can practice a lifetime and then still score below your capabilities because you were not in a good state. This take-away might be even more important in more "competitive societies" where social pressure is much higher.

Hope my answers make sense. BTW, are you applying to IIMC (I saw that you are school moderator).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi Pumaman5, congrats on your achievement (getting 680 from 590). It is competitive score to apply to top european business schools. Wish you good luck for your school application

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 313 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Pumaman5 congratulations! It is so true what you said about "650-700 is a failure on this forum"... Of course, 680 is a solid score. Assuming the other aspects of your application are balanced, you have very good chances to get in a school of your preference. Good luck!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Congratulations Pumaman5 ..

What a debrief..!!
You have pulled a ton of effort to taste the success. Your insights are very good, a few of which follow and hope to remain consistent on them.

How would you advise on keeping pace with the timings because i am lacking on that front.??
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Congrats on your score!
Inspiring debrief.

All the best for your applications

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
lnm87 wrote:
How would you advise on keeping pace with the timings because i am lacking on that front.??

A few thoughts on that front:
- In verbal, I realized, often when I spend more time at a question, I’m going to answer it wrong anyways. With this insight, I forced myself to let those questions go and pick one of the answers more quickly. Set yourself a timer and if you cross the 3 minutes mark, pick one answer and move on.
- quant is a bit weird, whenever I was good in time it was because I answered many questions wrong and only got easy question. Hence, getting under time pressure was a good sign for me that I’m on my way to a good score.
- For the quant part I had two checks: after 10 questions I wanted to have 37-40 mins left and after 20, I expected to have 17-20 mins (btw on test day I was 5 mins behind in my second check).
- Be ready to guess! I typically picked DS questions for that. Roughly 3-5 questions (because I’m slow in math, you might need to guess fewer when you aim higher than Q45) and more at the end of the test. Also alternate between guessing, one right one wrong doesn’t change your score much but you get punished for a series of wrong answers!
- lastly, practice! I developed somewhat of an inner clock so that I knew when I was too slow. Don’t practice blindly, follow some of my suggestions (or use a strategy that works best for you) and practice it!

Hope it helps! All the best!

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Thanks Pumaman5

The third one i totally forgot while attempting questions in tests recently. I will try it in my next mock.
I have able to improve my score by 50 points till date(can't vouch on that since the improvement is in third party mocks) but i find myself always guessing consecutively almost 8-10 questions in Verbal and 4-5 in Quant. As a matter of fact, i gave four mocks(3 experts global, 1 e-gmat sequentially) in last 10 days, the first one had a 50 point jump from my official score, screwed up next that I could not complete verbal section, third one dropped 20 points compared to first one and then finally back to a score matching exactly to my official score; so basically its getting down as i move ahead. The scores are as follows: Q-V 47-30, 47-14(didn't complete), 46-28 and 46-24.

Also, in these 4 mocks i tried not to answer wrongly in first 10 questions in both Quant and Verbal, taking too much of time but have not been able to do so.
So, do you think that i should rather give official mocks(have 4 left) which i was not touching as I thought to first get confident about my skills(which i can't be sure about if i keep guessing those many questions). I know i can do better but verbal is playing the spoilsport here.

Pumaman5 wrote:
lnm87 wrote:

A few thoughts on that front:
- In verbal, I realized, often when I spend more time at a question, I’m going to answer it wrong anyways. With this insight, I forced myself to let those questions go and pick one of the answers more quickly. Set yourself a timer and if you cross the 3 minutes mark, pick one answer and move on.
- quant is a bit weird, whenever I was good in time it was because I answered many questions wrong and only got easy question. Hence, getting under time pressure was a good sign for me that I’m on my way to a good score.
- For the quant part I had two checks: after 10 questions I wanted to have 37-40 mins left and after 20, I expected to have 17-20 mins (btw on test day I was 5 mins behind in my second check).
- Be ready to guess! I typically picked DS questions for that. Roughly 3-5 questions (because I’m slow in math, you might need to guess fewer when you aim higher than Q45) and more at the end of the test. Also alternate between guessing, one right one wrong doesn’t change your score much but you get punished for a series of wrong answers!
- lastly, practice! I developed somewhat of an inner clock so that I knew when I was too slow. Don’t practice blindly, follow some of my suggestions (or use a strategy that works best for you) and practice it!

Hope it helps! All the best!

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Pumaman5,

Congrats on a great GMAT score! I’m thrilled to hear that TTP helped you achieve your quant score goal. Good luck with things moving forward.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
GMAT Journey, from 590 to 680. [#permalink]
lnm87

Apologies for my late reply, I'm back in full time work mode ;)

First of all, these are great quant scores, congratulations to that. I think your focus should be indeed on verbal and achieve a consistent score. As I wrote in my debrief. I don't think there is one solution that fits all. Perhaps start with this approach:
1. analyse your errors and see whether you are weak in 1 certain area or more
2. look at your timing, do you answer questions right when you spend a long time solving those? If not, stop doing it.
3. find the course / help you need and that you are able to understand. As I said, GMATNinja's videos did the job for me. Many other in this forum are fans of the mgmat series or veritas

Missed to answer your last question. I wouldnt touch more tests but would use the OG question bank first. Once you have finished it, give another mock.

Improving verbal is challenging, but I'm sure you have all it takes to succeed. let me know if you have more questions.
CEO
CEO
Send PM
Pumaman5 wrote:
lnm87

Apologies for my late reply, I'm back in full time work mode ;)

First of all, these are great quant scores, congratulations to that. I think your focus should be indeed on verbal and achieve a consistent score. As I wrote in my debrief. I don't think there is one solution that fits all. Perhaps start with this approach:
1. analyse your errors and see whether you are weak in 1 certain area or more
2. look at your timing, do you answer questions right when you spend a long time solving those? If not, stop doing it.
3. find the course / help you need and that you are able to understand. As I said, GMATNinja's videos did the job for me. Many other in this forum are fans of the mgmat series or veritas

Missed to answer your last question. I wouldnt touch more tests but would use the OG question bank first. Once you have finished it, give another mock.

Improving verbal is challenging, but I'm sure you have all it takes to succeed. let me know if you have more questions.

Thanks for putting things aptly.!!
Verbal is pain area. I have reached V30, 33-34 achievable if i pay a little more attention but getting beyond needs a different approach.
I am referring GMATNinja video series for CR/RC. Hope next mock is fruitful.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37310 posts