Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 23:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 23:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: IITK, KOEL
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: International Business, General Management
WE:Design (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Schools: (A$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GPA: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Re: Ask My Anything about European MBA Programs! [#permalink]
OmarZG wrote:
Hi Bishesh,

I am looking to apply to German B Schools. I want to understand the image Frankfurt School of Finance and Management carries in the German market.

German companies value the type of degree over the place you study it from because of the way German education is structured.

In case of Frankfurt, the school is old but their MBA program is farely new and has been rated among the top 5 programs in the country.

Posted from my mobile device

I am not sure how the portal works in terms of posting a reply. I hope this works.
Sure! I can give you a complete overview of the program. What do you want to know.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
nayakr1127 wrote:
Hi bisheshnaik,

Could you please elaborate a list on the best European b schools with maximum RoI.
Coz I've read statistics that says European schools are not that great in career services.

That is all hypothetical...and yes...you cant rely on colleges to provide you with job opportunities unlike that in countries like India.
If you have something specific in mind or have questions, feel free to revert. I can certainly give you a holistic approach of the B schools here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Also if typing is not your thing and you want to discuss your questions over call.
Here is my e-mail and number:

bishesh.naik@gmail.com

+49 15753874245
Whatspp preferred
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: ESADE '22 (A)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
bisheshnaik wrote:
nayakr1127 wrote:
Hi bisheshnaik,

Could you please elaborate a list on the best European b schools with maximum RoI.
Coz I've read statistics that says European schools are not that great in career services.

That is all hypothetical...and yes...you cant rely on colleges to provide you with job opportunities unlike that in countries like India.
If you have something specific in mind or have questions, feel free to revert. I can certainly give you a holistic approach of the B schools here.

Here is my take on the matter. See if you agree.

1-2 Best (but expensive) schools are most "prestigious" are INSEAD and LBS. good rankings and great ROI depending on what industry you want to do. If you are going into a lower paying industry and financing at these schools, still could be better of going to one of "the rest" with any type of scholarship.

The rest - top 10 - (IMD, IESE, HEC, ESADE, IE, SAID, JUDGE, SDA Bocconi)
- Really depends on where you want to work and what you want to do. For example IESE or SAID may rank higher than SDA on most rankings, but if you want to work in luxury fashion or in Milan SDA is the better choice. Other examples are IMD for industry reputation, IESE/HEC strength in consulting possibly banking in Spain/France in particular, ESADE in entrepreneurship and lower cost for 2 yr, SAID/JUDGE for London although only 1 years, IE for more exp. demographic and only 1 year.

the rest of the rest (rotterdam, Warwick, Cass, Imperial, st gallen, mannheim, rest of top german programs, etc etc)
- some great schools and often great parent universities. even more regionally based and favoring industries

I guess my point is, barring INSEAD and LBS, the top 10 rankings in Europe are not weighted as importantly or differences as drastic as the M7/m15 break down of schools in the states, at least not according to my research. Profile, desired location and industry, and program type and cost, are more important than absolute ranking.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
footballfan1919 wrote:
bisheshnaik wrote:
nayakr1127 wrote:
Hi bisheshnaik,

Here is my take on the matter. See if you agree.

1-2 Best (but expensive) schools are most "prestigious" are INSEAD and LBS. good rankings and great ROI depending on what industry you want to do. If you are going into a lower paying industry and financing at these schools, still could be better of going to one of "the rest" with any type of scholarship.

The rest - top 10 - (IMD, IESE, HEC, ESADE, IE, SAID, JUDGE, SDA Bocconi)
- Really depends on where you want to work and what you want to do. For example IESE or SAID may rank higher than SDA on most rankings, but if you want to work in luxury fashion or in Milan SDA is the better choice. Other examples are IMD for industry reputation, IESE/HEC strength in consulting possibly banking in Spain/France in particular, ESADE in entrepreneurship and lower cost for 2 yr, SAID/JUDGE for London although only 1 years, IE for more exp. demographic and only 1 year.

the rest of the rest (rotterdam, Warwick, Cass, Imperial, st gallen, mannheim, rest of top german programs, etc etc)
- some great schools and often great parent universities. even more regionally based and favoring industries

I guess my point is, barring INSEAD and LBS, the top 10 rankings in Europe are not weighted as importantly or differences as drastic as the M7/m15 break down of schools in the states, at least not according to my research. Profile, desired location and industry, and program type and cost, are more important than absolute ranking.

I mean...ya to some extent but again..one has to understand that ...unlike US... the education or the degree is not that important when looking for career opportunities. The basis of getting a job is totally different here and I believe all my European peers will agree. Obviously a degree from a good b school will definitely have its advantages but language and work exp along with specific skillsets are more sought after. The places where your degree could be valued more have very stringent requirements on language. At the end of the day....one has to understand that education is free in Europe, so going for MBA which is very expensive according to Europeans and is considered as an "unwanted luxury" because that is not a deciding factor when it comes to getting a high pay or a job. Almost all the executives in big firms dont have MBA or business degree in Europe..so the story is a bit different. At the end of the day depends on individuals how and what they want.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i understand what you are getting at and i think its important for applicants to grasp. At a top 20 US MBA program, there are endless companies that are looking to hire, even in roles that you have no experience with. It is truly a wide net. Whereas, Investment Banking in Europe rarely hire MBA graduates who do not have prior banking experience. In the US, it is common place. On top of that, most large and medium US companies recruit and want to hire MBAs. A lot of the large companies hiring from European programs are American companies or heavily American influenced.

So maybe i am wrong, but would you agree that a top European MBA is certainly worth it as long as you have an career focus that matches your prior experience, values MBAs, and with no language barrier?
For example, if you are a consultant or a banker and want to move to the next level post MBA, or you want to work at a US company that hires in Europe (Amazon, Microsoft, Nike, AMEX), or one of the few European companies that have large MBA footprints (AB InBEV, ADIDAS, HSBC, etc).

this article is great and related (wish it was more updated tho as data comes during time of big recession) https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015 ... ls-europe/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
footballfan1919 wrote:
i understand what you are getting at and i think its important for applicants to grasp. At a top 20 US MBA program, there are endless companies that are looking to hire, even in roles that you have no experience with. It is truly a wide net. Whereas, Investment Banking in Europe rarely hire MBA graduates who do not have prior banking experience. In the US, it is common place. On top of that, most large and medium US companies recruit and want to hire MBAs. A lot of the large companies hiring from European programs are American companies or heavily American influenced.

So maybe i am wrong, but would you agree that a top European MBA is certainly worth it as long as you have an career focus that matches your prior experience, values MBAs, and with no language barrier?
For example, if you are a consultant or a banker and want to move to the next level post MBA, or you want to work at a US company that hires in Europe (Amazon, Microsoft, Nike, AMEX), or one of the few European companies that have large MBA footprints (AB InBEV, ADIDAS, HSBC, etc).

this article is great and related (wish it was more updated tho as data comes during time of big recession) https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2015 ... ls-europe/

Yes... to some extent it can boost your career opportunities but again...yes depends on the hiring manager and the company... I mean...language will always be an issue here...but again... a lot of factors are to be considered. However I agree with you statement to some extent. Or lets put it this way. An European already in a good position plans to do an MBA to help catalyst his/her career opportunities. Then the answer is yes...that works. But again... quality of education is good and it for sure sets you apart and especially as you said...the american firms do generally recognize MBA... but post other criteria being fulfilled.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
bisheshnaik wrote:
footballfan1919 wrote:

Yes... to some extent it can boost your career opportunities but again...yes depends on the hiring manager and the company... I mean...language will always be an issue here...but again... a lot of factors are to be considered. However I agree with you statement to some extent. Or lets put it this way. An European already in a good position plans to do an MBA to help catalyst his/her career opportunities. Then the answer is yes...that works. But again... quality of education is good and it for sure sets you apart and especially as you said...the american firms do generally recognize MBA... but post other criteria being fulfilled.

Great discussion, thanks. so did most of your non-European classmates end up pretty disappointed with career outcomes? Or i guess any nationality who overestimated the ability of job opportunities from an EU MBA ended up disappointed?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
footballfan1919 wrote:
bisheshnaik wrote:
footballfan1919 wrote:

Great discussion, thanks. so did most of your non-European classmates end up pretty disappointed with career outcomes? Or i guess any nationality who overestimated the ability of job opportunities from an EU MBA ended up disappointed?

Well...some of them had to go back to their home countries or to some other places in search of job opportunities. But some of them are happy considering they were able to land a job at the end of the day. As it generally is a very tough market out their for non-tech resources without language skills. All's well that ends well. Compared to the price you pay these days for MBA programs, it would be a ok-ok calculated risk but if you are too optimistic about the prediction that only an MBA will catapult you to the top hierarchy of the corporate world, then you are in for a surprise. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [0]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Is it difficult to switch my career through Europe MBA?
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [1]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
bisheshnaik wrote:
Hi All,

If anyone wants to know anything about European MBA or B schools in Europe, feel free to get in touch.
I am not an agent and I don't charge anything. So no worries. Just a helpful guy who is willing to help others realize their MBA dream.
Thank you!
Bishesh

Thanks much for starting this initiative. Appreciate your help and efforts. I've designated your topic as Announcement so as to increase its visibility.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Narenn Thank you so much....I hope it helps some people.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
mangamma I think there's a great chance that you may switch careers in Europe post MBA and you are highly likely to do so. It is because in some roles and responsibilities people cant get a job in Europe in order to find a job people tend to change their domain of work. e.g. Sales and Marketing in Europe requires extensive knowledge of their local language, so people from similar background either burn the midnight oil learning languages on top of their curriculum or they try to find jobs more suitable in the current scenario. Sometimes it plays to your advantage as well.
Coming on to another factor. A lot of mid and small enterprises are looking towards for Asia and Africa as potential markets and are looking for international people with diverse background to increase their operations. So they hire people across different domains and LoB's.
Last but not the least. An internship is a great way to propel you to change your line of work. e.g. If you want to pursue a career in CSR or Change management etc. then doing an internship in a company with similar work makes a lot of sense . or probably in similar departments. It can help you land a permamanet job in that sector-.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [0]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi,
My friend has 15 years of job experience. He is planning to apply for MBA(Full time) in University of Edinburgh. Is it worth to apply? How would be the post MBA jobs? It is in FT ranking for the last four years Your suggestion will help to take decision.
Thanks in advance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hi Bishesh.
I have a specific query of German MBA and visas ie as many MBA schools there have a different start date ie more spread out than the US ones . Does the german student visa have a last date for entry in country(like US has 4th September ) or one can enter anytime before the MBA program?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Archived WHU MBA Discussion
Hi there,
You've stumbled upon an old discussion from our WHU MBA Forum that's now outdated and has been archived. No more replies are possible here.
Interested in current discussions? Feel free to dive into our dedicated WHU MBA Forum for all fresh things related to the WHU MBA MBA program.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts