Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:43 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 401 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 580 Q47 V23
GMAT 2: 640 Q49 V27
GPA: 4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor [#permalink]
Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor people in the South, Hosea Hudson, a laborer in Alabama, joined the Communist party in 1931.

(A) Seeming to be - modifier issue - seeming modifies HH but HH is a person and not an organisation
(B) As - meaning issue- HH is a person and not an organisation
(C) In that they seemed - they has not plural antecedent, usage of 'in that' is incorrect because we need a more direct causal connection
(D) Since it seemed
(E) Because it seemed to be

Can you please help to eliminate option D?
AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyTargetTestPrep , DmitryFarber , VeritasKarishma , generis , EducationAisle , VeritasPrepErika , other experts - please enlighten
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5136 [6]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Re: Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
Can you please help to eliminate option D?

Here's the version created via the use of (D).

Since it seemed the only organization fighting for the rights of poor people in the South, Hosea Hudson, a laborer in Alabama, joined the Communist party in 1931.

We can see that "since it seemed" is followed by a noun phrase, "the only organization fighting."

When "seemed" is followed by a noun or noun phrase, "seemed" is generally followed by "to be," and many consider "seemed" without "to be" followed by a noun or noun phrase incorrect.

On the other hand, "seemed" without "to be" can be followed by an adjective without a noun, as in the following example.

The koala seemed friendly.

However, some people take the stance that "seemed" followed by an adjective followed by a noun is correct. So, since "only" is an adjective, I think some people would consider the version created via the use of (D) correct. So, to answer this question correctly, you have to decide to eliminate (D) because (E) is indisputably correct, whereas many people, or even most people, though not all, would consider (D) incorrect.

So the following is always considered correct. ("seemed" followed by adjective)

The rabbit seemed happy.

The following is virtually always considered incorrect. ("seemed" followed by noun only)

The animal seemed an elephant.

The following is always considered correct. ("seemed" followed by "to be" followed by a noun)

The animal seemed to be a wolf-coyote hybrid.

The following is considered correct by some people. ("seemed" followed by an adjective followed by a noun)

London seems a nice city.

I guess we could analyze this further and say the following.

"London seems nice," is correct.

"London seems only," is incorrect.

So, does the above mean the following?

"London seems a nice city," is correct.

"London seems the only city to have this type of culture," is incorrect.

Perhaps, or perhaps that analysis is attempting to find logic where no such logic exists.

Anyway, this question is not the greatest, since probably some English speakers would consider (D) correct, and also since, even if we consider (D) incorrect, the difference between (D) and (E) is purely idiomatic. So, this question does not test much of value.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
generis daagh could you please help me with my doubt?

I think the question is a bit flawed as the modifier Because it seemed to be should be strictly followed by the object that it modifies, like an absolute phrase.

So the more correct version of the answer would be:

Because it seemed to be / Seeming to be / whatever... the only organization fighting for the rights of poor people in the South, the Communist party was joined in 1931 by Hosea Hudson, a laborer in Alabama.

This is why I excluded E, preferring A against logic.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Camach wrote

I think the question is a bit flawed as the modifier Because it seemed to be should be strictly followed by the object that it modifies, like an absolute phrase.

So the more correct version of the answer would be:

Because it seemed to be / Seeming to be / whatever... the only organization fighting for the rights of poor people in the South, the Communist party was joined in 1931 by Hosea Hudson, a laborer in Alabama.

This is why I excluded E, preferring A against logic

Camach

1. The clause you have mentioned is not a modifier. It is a subordinate clause with, because as a subordinate conjunction and seemed to be is the verb. The modification rules that apply to an adjectival modifier phrase do not apply to complex sentences.

2. When you use a passive voice main clause as in your sentences, it tends to mean that Hosea joined the CP with some other party such as the Conservative party.

Can you get why E is much better?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
daagh

So you are saying that one should look for meaning first and then understand if modifier rules (or whatever other rule) can be applied accordingly to the complexity of the sentence.. right?

Deciding when a rule might be slightly violeted to privilege meaning does not seem an easy task though.. any advices?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Seeming to be the only organization fighting for the rights of poor people in the South, Hosea Hudson, a laborer in Alabama, joined the Communist party in 1931.

Lets look at the opening statement and analyse the logic behind it. It looks to be modifying whatever proceeds the first comma, so we need to ensure that whatever preceeds the first comma can logically flow with 'Hosea Hudson' who is clearly a person i.e. a laborer in Alabama

A, B, C, and D are clearly illogically describing Hosea Hudson as the organisation itself. Also, 'they' is plural and doesn't agree to the collective noun 'communist party' unless it is referring to the individuals within that party, which, it is clearly not..

(A) Seeming to be
(B) As
(C) In that they seemed
(D) Since it seemed

(E) Because it seemed to be

E makes the first clause dependent to the remainder of the sentence and we have a clear logical thought. Because X, Hudson became a commie...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Ivey '24 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
EducationAisle Can we use "it" in option E?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Mayank221133 wrote:
EducationAisle Can we use "it" in option E?

Hey Mayank221133, I'm no expert but there is only one logical antecedent to "it", i.e, the communist party. So yes, it is correct here.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM