Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale [#permalink]
Hi I received interviww invite too.

It mentioned "We are impressed by your accomplishments and potential and are writing to invite you to campus to interview."

Did u also get similar mail with invitation to campus for interview?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.54
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale [#permalink]
Kudos
I did too. Same message. I was under the impression that Yale was okay with applicants doing interviews with alumni in their home city, but this invite seems to encourage you to come to New Haven for the interview and tour. I live in San Francisco, so it's a bit inconvenient but not the worst trek. The email says:

"If you are unable to visit New Haven on any of the available dates, complete this form or contact the Admissions Office and we may be able to offer options to interview on-campus other days, via video link, or in select cities around the world including: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Delhi, Mumbai, Seoul, Tokyo, London, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles."

Would it reflect poorly on me to not go to New Haven for an interview and opt for an alumni interview in SF instead?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
Send PM
As they have given choice for SF in mail, I think it will be fine. For students who live closer to NH, it might be an issue.

I am also planning to opt for Mumbai.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Do you all think the complete set of interviews have been released? Or should we still hold out hope?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Expert Reply
It seems very unlikely to me that they have read all the applications at this point.

Chekhov wrote:
Do you all think the complete set of interviews have been released? Or should we still hold out hope?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
By what date should we start worrying about not receiving an interview invite? I applied via the Consortium.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
If you're in SF I would totally go in person for an interview...why risk not being able to interact with admissions/ potential classmates or letting your full personality come through. It's hard to do that on video.

EDIT: Just noticed the date. Hopefully it's not too late! :blushing . If so, do all you can to prep for the video interview.

amac3408 wrote:
I did too. Same message. I was under the impression that Yale was okay with applicants doing interviews with alumni in their home city, but this invite seems to encourage you to come to New Haven for the interview and tour. I live in San Francisco, so it's a bit inconvenient but not the worst trek. The email says:

"If you are unable to visit New Haven on any of the available dates, complete this form or contact the Admissions Office and we may be able to offer options to interview on-campus other days, via video link, or in select cities around the world including: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Singapore, Delhi, Mumbai, Seoul, Tokyo, London, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, San Francisco, and Los Angeles."

Would it reflect poorly on me to not go to New Haven for an interview and opt for an alumni interview in SF instead?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
DivaKaye09 wrote:
If you're in SF I would totally go in person for an interview...why risk not being able to interact with admissions/ potential classmates or letting your full personality come through. It's hard to do that on video.

amac3408 wrote:

They wouldn't be doing a video interview. I'm assuming they would do the in person interview which they offer in select cities, including San Francisco.

It wouldn't reflect poorly to choose any of the options, but I agree that video interviews are much harder than in-person. Going to NH is a great way to get a feel for if you want to actually spend 2 years there, but if you don't have the time or money, the in person interview in SF should be fine and the selection of this interview type shouldn't detract from your application.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Either interview in SF or New Haven is "in person" he's just asking if he should cross country to do the interview on-campus DivaKaye09

DivaKaye09 wrote:

EDIT: Just noticed the date. Hopefully it's not too late! :blushing . If so, do all you can to prep for the video interview.

amac3408 wrote:

Send PM
Expert Reply
This on campus bit is a strategic move on the part of SOM. If you have a 770 GMAT,will you pick them if they pick you? If they have gotten their claws into you on campus, so you fell in love with the town and SOM culture, then there are better odds you will say yes to SOM even if <insert even higher ranked program> has admitted you.

If you have very high stats or URM, where it's likely people will be fighting over you, it's best to show as much interest as possible. Interviewing on campus is just one way to do that, but it makes a big statement.

My UK client has a 720 GMAT with lowish quant, and interviewing in London. But most who received invites last Monday have very high stats though. Hes interviewing in London. However if he had a 770 and/or Yale was his top choice, I would encourage him to show up on campus. amac3408

amac3408 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey MBAPrepCoach, thanks for point that out, missed the last sentence.

MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Either interview in SF or New Haven is "in person" he's just asking if he should cross country to do the interview on-campus DivaKaye09

DivaKaye09 wrote:

amac3408 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
amac3408, speaking as a new admit @ Yale if there's still time aim for an in-person, New Haven interview. You will have a better experience.

amac3408 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
This on campus bit is a strategic move on the part of SOM. If you have a 770 GMAT,will you pick them if they pick you? If they have gotten their claws into you on campus, so you fell in love with the town and SOM culture, then there are better odds you will say yes to SOM even if <insert even higher ranked program> has admitted you.

If you have very high stats or URM, where it's likely people will be fighting over you, it's best to show as much interest as possible. Interviewing on campus is just one way to do that, but it makes a big statement.

My UK client has a 720 GMAT with lowish quant, and interviewing in London. But most who received invites last Monday have very high stats though. Hes interviewing in London. However if he had a 770 and/or Yale was his top choice, I would encourage him to show up on campus. amac3408

amac3408 wrote:

MBAPrepCoach, if you had higher stats where people would be more likely to fight over you, why would it be more encouraged for you to show more interest than others? Is it because they might not admit you if they think you won't choose them?

Also, out of curiosity, how do you know that people who received invites last Monday had higher stats?
Send PM
Expert Reply
1.) Yes 2.) Common knowledge among admissions consultants or see for yourself on decision tracker

coloredflash wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

amac3408 wrote:

MBAPrepCoach, if you had higher stats where people would be more likely to fight over you, why would it be more encouraged for you to show more interest than others? Is it because they might not admit you if they think you won't choose them?

Also, out of curiosity, how do you know that people who received invites last Monday had higher stats?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

amac3408 wrote:

Most URM in general or URM with very high stats?

I haven’t heard from SOM yet in the first wave of interview invites.

I got a quick invite from Ross but haven’t heard from SOM yet. I’m a URM if that matters
Send PM
Expert Reply
I was speaking in reference to whether or not someone should interview on campus or if it's okay not to. If someone is kind of hot on the market then they're motivated to pick you but want to know they will get you. nobody wants to throw a wedding where no one shows up.

This is the case with high stats and urm candidates. More do URM candidates that have good stats, specifically, a decent Quant score, because they definitely want to know that you can do the work.

Not at all talking about whether you should worry about getting an invite so far or not. it's my understanding that they are doing interviews on a rolling basis as they complete their reading of applications. It's a bit surprising because usually they want to look at the whole pool of candidates as a set so I'm kind of not sure what's going on but I do not think they've made it through the full set of applicants in such a short period of time. So just for that reason I would not be panicking at all.

If forced to guess I would say that they are looking at high stat candidates and those who had really strong video responses as their first take. My client is not under-represented and he has a 720, just ok Quant, but he is phenomenal behind the camera. It's just a theory honestly.

Congrats on Ross!

Blazethrough14

Blazethrough14 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

amac3408 wrote:

I got a quick invite from Ross but haven’t heard from SOM yet. I’m a URM if that matters
Send PM
Expert Reply
By the way if you have stats that are significantly above the class average for Ross I would make an effort to get out to the campus for the team-based exercise.

Especially if you are strong in collaboration, with good people skills.

Or if you want to know what it feels like to be in Ann Arbor in February LOL which is quite something. Blazethrough14

Blazethrough14 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

amac3408 wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts