Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:50 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 6255 [6]
Given Kudos: 330
WE:General Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 170 [1]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [3]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: Oxford"18 (D)
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GMAT 2: 740 Q50 V39
Send PM
Re: In an attempt to protect the environment and stop oil companies from [#permalink]
I have a doubt over option D. Option D talks about the breaking of the ship and effecting the coastal waters. The argument says the sinking of the ship in deep sea waters which may or may not result in breakage of the ship and is sure to pollute the waters. Option D seems to be just a rephrase of the argument given. Please comment.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 832
Send PM
In an attempt to protect the environment and stop oil companies from [#permalink]
Dear VeritasKarishma AjiteshArun,

I have some question on choice A.

(A) The National Environmental Research Council approved the sinking of the oil platform, calling it the “best practicable environmental option.”

When the NERC or any other "expert" calls this approach “BEST practicable environmental option”, should we trust them and treat their statement as irrefutable fact? Or should we distrust them and treat their statement as meaningless?

IMO, it is the fact that sinking oil platform is the BEST PRACTICABLE ENVIRONMENTAL option.
Why opt for the worse option as suggested by the environmental group?
The suggested plan should be WORSE practicable environmental option. (It harms the environment or it is unpractical)

Thus, choice A. could weaken the argument.

Thank you in advance!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: In an attempt to protect the environment and stop oil companies from [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

(A) The National Environmental Research Council approved the sinking of the oil platform, calling it the “best practicable environmental option.”

When the NERC or any other "expert" calls this approach “BEST practicable environmental option”, should we trust them and treat their statement as irrefutable fact? Or should we distrust them and treat their statement as meaningless?

IMO, it is the fact that sinking oil platform is the BEST PRACTICABLE ENVIRONMENTAL option.
The suggested plan should be WORSE practicable environmental option. (It harms the environment or it is unpractical)

Thank you in advance!
Hi varotkorn,

We would definitely consider the statement as a whole to be true (Which of the following, if true). So, we take as true the statement that the NERC said something. This doesn't, however, mean that we need to trust what they said.

I think option D is better than option A, but I'd replace option A if this question were mine. The first option just brings in too many things that I wouldn't want in a question, especially if NERC is real.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:

Thank you in advance!

A layman's opinion should be disregarded, no two ways about it. Whether an expert's opinion has any weight or not depends on the question and other options. Usually, an opinion is just that, an opinion. It is not a fact. If NERC says it is the best option, the only thing true is that NERC SAYS it is the best option. Is it really the best option, we cannot say. But it does make the case for this option slightly stronger.

Now note what our question is : Which of the following, if true, indicates the plan to tow the oil platform to land is ill-suited to the environmentalist group’s goals?

We need to find the option that says: Hey Environmentalists! Your plan doesn't suit your goal. Your goal is X but your plan Y will ruin it.
Note that in this case a plan Z is irrelevant. We need to focus only on X and Y and how Y will ruin X.

X - Protect the ecosystem. (the goal of environmentalists)
Y - Tow the platform to land and then dismantle. (the plan of environmentalists)
Option (D) tells us why Y will ruin X and is the answer.

Z - Sink the oil platform
Z is irrelevant to our question and an expert supporting it is irrelevant too.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Send PM
In an attempt to protect the environment and stop oil companies from [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
A layman's opinion should be disregarded, no two ways about it. Whether an expert's opinion has any weight or not depends on the question and other options. Usually, an opinion is just that, an opinion. It is not a fact. If NERC says it is the best option, the only thing true is that NERC SAYS it is the best option. Is it really the best option, we cannot say. But it does make the case for this option slightly stronger.

Now note what our question is : Which of the following, if true, indicates the plan to tow the oil platform to land is ill-suited to the environmentalist group’s goals?

We need to find the option that says: Hey Environmentalists! Your plan doesn't suit your goal. Your goal is X but your plan Y will ruin it.
Note that in this case a plan Z is irrelevant. We need to focus only on X and Y and how Y will ruin X.

Y - Tow the platform to land and then dismantle. (the plan of environmentalists)

Dear VeritasKarishma,

Thank you for your response.

I have 2+1 questions on the 2 highlighted portions above:

Q1. Do you intend to mean that choice A is a good candidate?

Q2. I don't think Z is irrelevant to our question because according to the question: environmentalists ARGUED that sinking the oil platform would cause irreparable damage to the deep sea ecosystem.

Choice A. clearly weakens this sentence, which is the SUPPORT the environmentalists use for the proposed plan. In other words, the reason why the proposed plan exists is that "sinking the oil platform" is really bad. Hence, choice A. falsifies that very reason and hence gives us one less reason why the proposed plan should exist now.

IMO, Z is not some other random plan. Z is the plan that environmentalists claim is bad. So, I think Z is relevant here.
Essentially, environmentalists say that Z is bad. Choice A. just says the opposite. It says Z is the BEST (= any other plans are WORSE), thereby weakening their support. This in turn weakens their plan.

Why is this thinking wrong?

(BTW, I agree that irrelevant plans that are better do not weaken the existing plan. However, I think Z is relevant in this case)

Q3. I have additional question from the Veritas official explanation as well.

The OE says: While the expert (in this case, the NERC) may give an official statement, this does NOT mean that the expert has the same goals or motives as the environmental groups have

How could they NOT have the same goals as the environmental groups?
NERC is the environmental agency and is supposed to protect the environmental as well.
IMO, it would be illogical to assume NERC, which is an official national agency for the environment, does not want to protect the environment.
I would be afraid to assume that the corporate may bribe the government environmental agency or that NERC arbitrarily makes official statements without well proven scientific research.

This post is a bit long.
Thank you for your patience :please :please :please
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64922 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
varotkorn wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:

Dear VeritasKarishma,

Q2. I don't think Z is irrelevant to our question because according to the question: environmentalists ARGUED that sinking the oil platform would cause irreparable damage to the deep sea ecosystem.

Choice A. clearly weakens this sentence, which is the SUPPORT the environmentalists use for the proposed plan. In other words, the reason why the proposed plan exists is that "sinking the oil platform" is really bad. Hence, choice A. falsifies that very reason and hence gives us one less reason why the proposed plan should exist now.

IMO, Z is not some other random plan. Z is the plan that environmentalists claim is bad. So, I think Z is relevant here.
Essentially, environmentalists say that Z is bad. Choice A. just says the opposite. It says Z is the BEST (= any other plans are WORSE), thereby weakening their support. This in turn weakens their plan.

(BTW, I agree that irrelevant plans that are better do not weaken the existing plan. However, I think Z is relevant in this case)

The OE says: While the expert (in this case, the NERC) may give an official statement, this does NOT mean that the expert has the same goals or motives as the environmental groups have

NERC is the environmental agency and is supposed to protect the environmental as well.
IMO, it would be illogical to assume NERC, which is an official national agency for the environment, does not want to protect the environment.
I would be afraid to assume that the corporate may bribe the government environmental agency or that NERC arbitrarily makes official statements without well proven scientific research.

This post is a bit long.

Please don't get lost in the given information. An argument can give you a lot of irrelevant background.

Focus on the question:
Which of the following, if true, indicates the plan to tow the oil platform to land is ill-suited to the environmentalist group’s goals?

Now there are only two things you have to focus on:
What is the environmentalist group’s goal? Protect the ecosystem
What is the plan? To tow the platform to land

We are asked for the option which says that this plan to tow is ill suited to the goal. It doesn't ask us whether this plan is the best plan, whether there is another plan etc. Just for the option that says that towing to land could be bad for the environment. So that is all you need to focus on.

Option (A) is absolutely irrelevant to this question. We need to focus on only two things which are mentioned above. Some other plan has nothing to do with our question.

What do I mean when I say that option (A) makes the case for this plan a bit stronger - Had the question been different (say 2 plans were given and we were to find the better plan). An expert's opinion does add some weight to a plan. If NERC says that plan of sinking is the best, it does make the case for sinking stronger. Again, please note that, as given, plan of sinking is IRRELEVANT to our question. Since you asked a generic question (When the NERC or any other "expert" calls this approach “BEST practicable environmental option”, should we trust them and treat their statement as irrefutable fact?), I gave the generic answer. It has nothing to do with this question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [1]
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
varotkorn wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:

Dear VeritasKarishma,

This post is a bit long.

Please don't get lost in the given information. An argument can give you a lot of irrelevant background.

Focus on the question:
Which of the following, if true, indicates the plan to tow the oil platform to land is ill-suited to the environmentalist group’s goals?

Now there are only two things you have to focus on:
What is the environmentalist group’s goal? Protect the ecosystem
What is the plan? To tow the platform to land

We are asked for the option which says that this plan to tow is ill suited to the goal. It doesn't ask us whether this plan is the best plan, whether there is another plan etc. Just for the option that says that towing to land could be bad for the environment. So that is all you need to focus on.

Option (A) is absolutely irrelevant to this question. We need to focus on only two things which are mentioned above. Some other plan has nothing to do with our question.

What do I mean when I say that option (A) makes the case for this plan a bit stronger - Had the question been different (say 2 plans were given and we were to find the better plan). An expert's opinion does add some weight to a plan. If NERC says that plan of sinking is the best, it does make the case for sinking stronger. Again, please note that, as given, plan of sinking is IRRELEVANT to our question. Since you asked a generic question (When the NERC or any other "expert" calls this approach “BEST practicable environmental option”, should we trust them and treat their statement as irrefutable fact?), I gave the generic answer. It has nothing to do with this question.

Thank you Ma'am. It is much clearer now.
By the way, I am very honored and humbled that your response to mine is 9999th of your post!

Thank you for your support as always :please :please :please
Attachments

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG [ 216.71 KiB | Viewed 4118 times ]

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts