Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:48 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [26]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [6]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [3]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Re: Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constantly increasing [#permalink]
Kudos
I think it's B.

Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate tax increase, not increasing taxes. We can't get rid of tax, but we want to eliminate the increase of tax because the increase has negative impacts on people (maybe it reduces people's purchase power). So A, C are out.
(D) "that results as" is unidiomatic --> out.

(B) constant tax increase because inflation pushes individuals into higher tax brackets --> CORRECT
(E) constant tax increase as a result of individuals being pushed by inflation into higher tax brackets --> I think passive voice should be avoided when an active voice like in (B) is much more direct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 294
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V28
GMAT 2: 630 Q42 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q48 V34
GPA: 4
Send PM
Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constantly increasing [#permalink]
Re-read explanation from Tracy95 and found out that mine was wrong. :blushing
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 151 [0]
Given Kudos: 160
GPA: 3.9
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constantly increasing [#permalink]
Quote:
Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constantly increasing taxes that result because of inflation pushing individuals into higher tax brackets.

Hi,
IMO B.

Meaning: Income tax indexing is supposed to eliminate taxes that keep increasing constantly because of inflation, which pushes individuals into higher tax brackets.
Analysis: Constantly is an adverb, so it cannot modify a noun/gerund- increasing taxes. This takes care of A & C.
Quote:
(A) constantly increasing taxes that result because of inflation pushing individuals
(C) constantly increasing taxes because individuals are pushed by inflation

Quote:
(B) constant tax increase because inflation pushes individuals
(D) constant tax increase that results as inflation pushes individuals
(E) constant tax increase as a result of individuals being pushed by inflation

Now, among B,D & E, D changes the meaning of the sentence saying that taxes become inflation.
Between B & E, B is a better choice for being concise and using active voice construction.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 314
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 590 Q37 V33
WE:Law (Manufacturing)
Send PM
(A) constantly increasing taxes that result because of inflation pushing individuals

because of inflation pushing individuals ? cant pinpoint what exactly wrong but seems to be unidiomatic.

This sentence is idiomatic and grammatical, however doesnt make much sense logically. should be kept on hold.

individuals are pushed by inflation - passive. I am suspicious

Seems to be correct, as it makes sense here, constant tax increase is result of something, which is intended to be eliminated.

awkwardy phrase, and usage of being.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 2.7
Send PM
Hey Guys... Always go for the meaning...there are two splits-
1. Eliminate Constantly ( adverb) Increasing taxes,seems as if the taxes are to be eliminated no but the increase is as per the sentence.
2. Because individuals are pushed or because inflation pushes individual seriously that does'nt make sence either with the first part so D it is the best choice.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [1]
Given Kudos: 370
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
Send PM
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Day 203: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constantly increasing taxes that result because of inflation pushing individuals into higher tax brackets.

First, we should figure out the following split: constantly increasing taxes / constant tax increase. The second option makes sense, because it seems logical: clearly, we can't eliminate the tax as such because this idea is ridiculous. So we should eliminate options A and C. The option E seems bad because of passive voice and "being". We should prefer active voice in GMAT. Between B and D I've chosen B, because "that results as" seems ugly. On the other hand, option D unites two parts of the sentence and connects "tax increase" with "inflation".
Kudos to anyone who can clarify my doubts concerning "results as".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos

POE :

constantly increasing taxes vs constant tax increase = Latter is preferred ----> Thereby eliminating A & C

Within the choices BDE,

E can be eliminated, as the individuals being pushed by inflation which is incorrect to use

i am confused between B & D, can someone please help me out..

Thanks & Kudos in advance :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 212
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
WE:General Management (Health Care)
Send PM

understanding the meaning of the sentence...

IT indexing is intended to eliminate something...
what is it??
taxes or the increase in taxes..
per the meaning of the sentence.
it needs to eliminate the increase.
going on with the meaning of the sentence,
the increase in taxes is due to the "inflation pushing individuals into higher tax brackets."

per the explanation,
A and C are out..

Coming to choice B,
Quote:

because is explaining the reason for the indexing to eliminate the increase..(which is wrong)
the sentence should explain reason for increase..
B is out

Coming to E,
Quote:

this seems to explain the reason for "elimination by Income tax indexing"
E is out..

Coming to D,
Quote:

this aptly gives the meaning clarity with "indexing eliminating the increase in tax and the reason for this increase" without any ambiguity.

this is the right one
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 287
GMAT 1: 610 Q41 V35
GMAT 2: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Can someone explain why E is wrong

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 161
GMAT 1: 600 Q43 V30
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constantly increasing [#permalink]
eakabuah wrote:

Meaning: Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constant tax increase that results as inflation pushes individuals into higher tax brackets.

When I read through the answer choices, I felt the contest was between A and D. Why? My reason is because of the usage of that to emphasize taxes, in A, and increase, in D. This implies that the prepositional phrase in A and the subordinate clause in D modify taxes and increase respectively. Without this emphasis with a relative pronouns that result in A and that results in D, one might think that the subordinate clauses introduced by because in B and C, and as in option E present the cause of the preceding clauses and this is not the case. Therefore we can safely eliminate B, C, and E based on this.

In addition, I later found out that the structure: because of + noun + action (verbing) is not acceptable on the GMAT. Because of as a compound preposition is expected to take a noun; this noun can be a verbing but not a noun + verbing. The whole idea is that the verbing should not suggest that the noun after the compound preposition is performing an action. For example: Because of the Prime Minister going to Paris, this week's cabinet meeting is rescheduled. This sentence is incorrect on the GMAT because of the verbing going after the noun the Prime Minister. This information can be accessed here: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-idiom-because-vs-because-of/ Hence option A is incorrect. I read a similar post on the same magoosh webpage that suggested a similar restriction on with on the GMAT a while back.

The bottom line for me is that this is an excellent question in my view as it has helped me to understand another very important requirement on the GMAT. Kudos Sir generis I'm very grateful. I thought I will share this information with the community although I got it belated and hence could not post before the OA was revealed. I didn't know how best to explain the reason why B is incorrect, but somehow, I felt it is inferior to D so I opted for D instead.

eakabuah
What's your thought on usage of RESULT and BECAUSE side by side in option A? As per me it creates redundancy error.

Originally posted by deveshj21 on 23 Jan 2020, 10:41.
Last edited by deveshj21 on 04 Oct 2020, 03:14, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [0]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
deveshj21 wrote:
eakabuah wrote:

Meaning: Income tax indexing is intended to eliminate constant tax increase that results as inflation pushes individuals into higher tax brackets.

When I read through the answer choices, I felt the contest was between A and D. Why? My reason is because of the usage of that to emphasize taxes, in A, and increase, in D. This implies that the prepositional phrase in A and the subordinate clause in D modify taxes and increase respectively. Without this emphasis with a relative pronouns that result in A and that results in D, one might think that the subordinate clauses introduced by because in B and C, and as in option E present the cause of the preceding clauses and this is not the case. Therefore we can safely eliminate B, C, and E based on this.

In addition, I later found out that the structure: because of + noun + action (verbing) is not acceptable on the GMAT. Because of as a compound preposition is expected to take a noun; this noun can be a verbing but not a noun + verbing. The whole idea is that the verbing should not suggest that the noun after the compound preposition is performing an action. For example: Because of the Prime Minister going to Paris, this week's cabinet meeting is rescheduled. This sentence is incorrect on the GMAT because of the verbing going after the noun the Prime Minister. This information can be accessed here: https://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-idiom-because-vs-because-of/ Hence option A is incorrect. I read a similar post on the same magoosh webpage that suggested a similar restriction on with on the GMAT a while back.

The bottom line for me is that this is an excellent question in my view as it has helped me to understand another very important requirement on the GMAT. Kudos Sir generis I'm very grateful. I thought I will share this information with the community although I got it belated and hence could not post before the OA was revealed. I didn't know how best to explain the reason why B is incorrect, but somehow, I felt it is inferior to D so I opted for D instead.

eakabuah
What's your thought on usage of RESULT and BECAUSE side by side in option A? As per me it creating redundancy error.

deveshj21 I don't think the usage of result and because of create redundancy in the sentence in option A. Why? Result per the context or meaning is synonymous to occur/happen/come up/arise. Besides, in A, we are dealing with a compound preposition because of and that should be followed by a noun.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts