Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618806 [29]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [0]
Given Kudos: 126
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Send PM
Re: As long as savings deposits are insured by the government, depositors [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

As long as savings deposits are insured by the government, depositors will have no incentive to evaluate the financial strength of a savings bank. Yield alone will influence their choice of bank. To attract deposits, banks will be forced to offer the highest possible interest rates. And since paying higher rates inevitably strains the financial strength of a bank, ______

(A) the government will be forced o impose limitations on interest rates
(B) deposit insurance will ultimately lead to the financial weakening of many banks
(C) savers will be forced to choose between deposit insurance and higher interest rates
(D) deposits will tend to go to the banks with the greatest financial strength
(E) bank profits will tend to rise to ever-higher levels

D) is a near answer, a trap, as i see it.
D) is probably true, however, only WHEN financial strength would correlate with higher rates. Then the banks with the greatest financial strength would be able to offer better rates. But this is not explicitly mentioned or implied!
Also, D) has a limited scope and does not fit as nicely in the line of reasoning as C).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: HKUST (A)
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Re: As long as savings deposits are insured by the government, depositors [#permalink]
maybe A is wrong because it introduces new info. that is the gov should impose limitations.

introducing new information is not allowed in infer questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Hello Expert

In the stated question, the correct option is B which is merely the restatement of the last line of the question stem.
"....Strains the financial strength of the bank, ...financial weakening of many banks"

Can you please explain in a little more detail justifying the option choice? It would really be very helpful.

My answer choice was D or A in that sequence. With the strain on the financial strength of the bank, the bank with the greatest financial strength will tend to push out more interest rates "to attract people" because "yield alone will influence" their choice of bank.
Consequently, the government will be forced to impose limitations on interest rates (option A)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 510 Q35 V25
GMAT 2: 670 Q47 V35
Send PM
The only thing that influences savers is the yield, since govt insures the savings. Higher yield strains financial strength leading to weakening the bank's financial strength. So B is the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
I am continuously finding difficulties in answering such " complete the passage questions". I am pretty sure that i am doing something fundamentally wrong . Can someone please explain me how to approach such questions and what are some Do's and Dont's of these kind of questions. Bunuel GMATNinja
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34 (Online)
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
mbain21 wrote:
This is “Must be True” question
Question stem :
Fact 1 - Since deposits are protected, evaluation of financial strength of bank turns out to be a difficult task.
Fact 2 - Choice of bank is driven by yield or interest rate they offer.
Fact 3 - So to attract more deposits banks will offer higher rate of interest

The decision of bank offering a higher rate of interest is driven by the fact that the deposits are protected by the government. So if the banks keep on offering higher rate of interest it would end up eroding banks financial strength.

So option B.

Posted from my mobile device

Hi,
My thinking is deposits are protected by the Government and not the bank. If the banks offer higher interest rates, it will likely weaken the financial strength of the Government since they are responsible for the payback of the deposits. In that case, they will limit the rates to protect themselves.
Could you please help me understand the flaw in my thinking.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: ISB '23 (S)
GPA: 4
Send PM
According to me, the answer was D.

Reasoning-
We are told that yield alone will influence the choice of bank. The higher the interest more the depositors. and if interest rates are higher, it will strain the financial strength of the bank. So, if banks are financially strong from the start, people will choose those banks as they provide higher interest rates. And since paying higher rates will strain the bank, it will ultimately lead to banks being financially weak.

So the two options I was confused between were B and D. I chose D as it will be the immediate cause, while B will be caused way ahead in the future.

Please let me know where I went wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Which of the following best completes the passage below?

As long as savings deposits are insured by the government, depositors will have no incentive to evaluate the financial strength of a savings bank. Yield alone will influence their choice of bank. To attract deposits, banks will be forced to offer the highest possible interest rates. And since paying higher rates inevitably strains the financial strength of a bank, ______

(A) the government will be forced o impose limitations on interest rates
(B) deposit insurance will ultimately lead to the financial weakening of many banks
(C) savers will be forced to choose between deposit insurance and higher interest rates
(D) deposits will tend to go to the banks with the greatest financial strength
(E) bank profits will tend to rise to ever-higher levels

What's wrong with Option C

Option C states, since offering HIGHER interest rates strains the financial strength of Bank, it forces savers to choose between deposit insurance and higher interest rates

Can anyone explain?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 142
Send PM
But isn't B redundant, since its repeating, what's mentioned in the other half that "paying higher rates inevitably strains the financial strength of a bank". financial weakening of the bank one and the same thing.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts