Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Businessx   Long Passagex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 112 [0]
Given Kudos: 122
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: The majority of successful senior managers do not closely [#permalink]
ajaygupta2021 wrote:
Which of the following best describes the organization of the first paragraph of
the passage?
(A) An assertion is made and a specific supporting example is given.
(B) A conventional model is dismissed and an alternative introduced.
(C) The results of recent research are introduced and summarized.
(D) Two opposing points of view are presented and evaluated.
(E) A widely accepted definition is presented and qualified.

why tha OA is B and not D ?
how he is dismissing the conventional model of problem solving , he is just contrasting it with intuition approach

If we see closely in the 1st paragraph, author is stating a conventional way and by using "RATHER" transitional word author is dismissing the conventional way and introducing an alternative model. Later on, the whole passage talks about the alternative model.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 126 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
WE:Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I have a concern over Q7-D. Why III is an inference?
It can be inferred from the passage that “thinking/acting cycles” (line 45) in managerial practice would be likely to result in which of the following?

I. A manager analyzes a network of problems and then acts on the basis of that analysis.
II. A manager gathers data by acting and observing the effects of action.
III. A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

We have "Given the great uncertainty of many of the management issues that they face, senior managers often instigate a course of action simply to learn more about an issue.". I think the statement can be considered a reason why they act - "to learn more abt an issue". So we can't say (III) "A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.". A manager can articulate the reason, which is "to learn more abt an issue".

Could anyone shed some light on this?
I am also looking forward to the OA of this question! teal
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [5]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Tracy95 wrote:
I have a concern over Q7-D. Why III is an inference?
It can be inferred from the passage that “thinking/acting cycles” (line 45) in managerial practice would be likely to result in which of the following?

I. A manager analyzes a network of problems and then acts on the basis of that analysis.
II. A manager gathers data by acting and observing the effects of action.
III. A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

We have "Given the great uncertainty of many of the management issues that they face, senior managers often instigate a course of action simply to learn more about an issue.". I think the statement can be considered a reason why they act - "to learn more abt an issue". So we can't say (III) "A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.". A manager can articulate the reason, which is "to learn more abt an issue".

Could anyone shed some light on this?
I am also looking forward to the OA of this question! teal

Although the writer of this passage is able to articulate this reason (to learn more about an issue), the managers themselves might not be able to articulate that reason.

More importantly, we can trace the third inference back to paragraph three, where another implication of thinking/acting cycles is described:

Quote:
One of the implications of the intuitive style of executive management is that “thinking” is inseparable from acting. Since managers often “know” what is right before they can analyze and explain it, they frequently act first and explain later. Analysis is inextricably tied to action in thinking/acting cycles, in which managers develop thoughts about their companies and organizations not by analyzing a problematic situation and then acting, but by acting and analyzing in close concert.

• Managers don't analyze a problem first and then act. Instead, they engage in thinking/acting cycles, in which action and analysis are intertwined -- "thinking" is inseparable from acting.
  • Managers who engage in such thinking/acting cycles will "frequently act first and explain later." Why? Because they "often 'know' what is right before they can analyze and explain it."
  • So it is reasonable to infer that intuitive managers who engage in thinking/action cycles often take action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Can anyone explain why not option A in question 5? and why not option E in Q4? Thanks in advance
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [3]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Bhawanshu wrote:
Can anyone explain why not option A in question 5? and why not option E in Q4? Thanks in advance

Question 4

Here's choice (E):

Quote:
According to the passage, senior managers use intuition in all of the following ways EXCEPT to
(E) evaluate possible solutions to a problem

The third paragraph tells us that some managers will rely on intuition to evaluate solutions that have been reached through formal decision analysis:

"Fourth, some managers use intuition as a check on the results of more rational analysis. Most senior executives are familiar with the formal decision analysis models and tools, and those who use such systematic methods for reaching decisions are occasionally leery of solutions suggested by these methods which run counter to their sense of the correct course of action."

We were asked which answer choice is NOT a way that senior managers use intuition, so (E) can be eliminated.

Question 5

Here's choice (A):

Quote:
The passage suggests which of the following about the “writers on management” mentioned in line 12?
(A) They have criticized managers for not following the classical rational model of decision analysis.

(A) can be eliminated because the author never indicates that these generations of writers on management have criticized managers — let alone criticized managers for not following the classical rational model.

You can check out my previous explanation of question 5 if you're still not sure how to get to the correct answer. But without more information on why you think (A) could be correct, I can't say much more about why it's not. The evidence simply isn't there.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
can someone please explain q8?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [2]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Top Contributor
esha12012000 wrote:
can someone please explain q8?

Hi Esha

Q8 asks us to describe the organization of the first paragraph. Upon reading, we can summarize the gist of the first paragraphs as follows:

Most successful managers do not follow the traditional "rational model" of decision making, but rely on intuition to manage a network of interconnected problems.

Now, let us examine the answer options:

(A) An assertion is made and a specific supporting example is given. While an assertion is made, no supporting examples are given. Eliminate.

(B) A conventional model is dismissed and an alternative introduced. This appears promising. While I don't like the usage of the word "dismissed" for the way the rational model is treated in the first paragraph, it is definitely set aside for a different approach. We can hold on to this option at this stage.

(C) The results of recent research are introduced and summarized. The first paragraph does not talk about any research. Eliminate.

(D) Two opposing points of view are presented and evaluated. We can consider the first paragraph to be presenting two opposing points of view. However, there is no "evaluation" of either view in the first paragraph. Eliminate.

(E) A widely accepted definition is presented and qualified. If we consider the first half of the first paragraph as presenting a "definition" of the rational model, the second half of the first paragraph does not "qualify" this definition in any way but deals with a completely different model altogether. Eliminate.

As we can see, the only option that comes close to being fully correct is option (B), and hence is the correct answer.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
VeritasKarishma GMATNinja

doubt regarding question 7

Managers who engage in such thinking/acting cycles will "frequently act first and explain later."

if they can explain later then doesn't it meant they do know what they are doing
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
saby1410 wrote:

Managers who engage in such thinking/acting cycles will "frequently act first and explain later."

if they can explain later then doesn't it meant they do know what they are doing

Hi saby1410,

Please refer the following explanation by expert: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-majority ... l#p2432105

Your doubts have been referred to in this reply.

Let me know if you still have doubts.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
saby1410 wrote:

Link isn't working can you explain i have read ninja solution but i still have doubt

Hi saby1410,

Please refer the following explanation by expert: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-majority ... l#p2432105

Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device

Link isn't working llease can you expalin i read ninja's solution but i wasn't satisfied ghat's why i asked again
Retired Moderator
Send PM
saby1410 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
saby1410 wrote:

Link isn't working can you explain i have read ninja solution but i still have doubt

Hi saby1410,

Thanks.

Link isn't working llease can you expalin i read ninja's solution but i wasn't satisfied ghat's why i asked again

Let me know if this helps.

Quote:
One of the implications of the intuitive style of executive management is that “thinking” is inseparable from acting. Since managers often “know” what is right before they can analyze and explain it, they frequently act first and explain later. Analysis is inextricably tied to action in thinking/acting cycles, in which managers develop thoughts about their companies and organizations not by analyzing a problematic situation and then acting, but by acting and analyzing in close concert.

These lines imply that yes managers usually know what they are doing, which is why they act first , and then explain it. Managers possessing intuition usually take action first before they can provide a reason for the same.

Which is why statement I in question 7 is wrong. Managers usually first act and then analyze or provide a reason for their action.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bm2201 wrote:
saby1410 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
saby1410 wrote:

Hi saby1410,

Thanks.

Quote:

These lines imply that yes managers usually know what they are doing, which is why they act first , and then explain it. Managers possessing intuition usually take action first before they can provide a reason for the same.

Which is why statement I in question 7 is wrong. Managers usually first act and then analyze or provide a reason for their action.

Thanks.

My question is for statement 3 not for statement 1

If managers know what they are doing isn't meant that they articulate reason for particular action
Retired Moderator
Send PM
saby1410 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
saby1410 wrote:
bm2201 wrote:
saby1410 wrote:

Hi saby1410,

Thanks.

Quote:

Thanks.

My question is for statement 3 not for statement 1

If managers know what they are doing isn't meant that they articulate reason for particular action

Statement 3: "A manager takes action without being able to articulate reasons for that particular action."

So to answer your question, since managers know what they are doing (from the inference drawn in above replies), as they act before they can actually analyse or explain their actions, they often take action without being able to articulate reasons for their actions.

So when they are actually taking the action, they have no reasons for it.
Whether they can explain it later or not is not the point of the statement, though they can explain it later.

Hope this Helps.
Thanks.
Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64899 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos