Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Moderator - Masters Forum
Own Kudos [?]: 2147 [1]
Given Kudos: 276
GMAT 1: 460 Q42 V13
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [1]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: ONE LAST CHANCE / Need Help [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi,

As rightly said by Kiran, GMAT Score could contribute around one third of entire application. So, you can strengthen other areas while giving your best shot in last chance. You may need to focus more on your weak areas of verbal section. Believe in yourself that you can do it. You are just few more streaks away from your destination. Best of luck!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Asad wrote:
Hello,
Welcome to the GMAT Club.
Are you native speaker?
Which section in verbal is your weakest area?
Do you understand every concept of verbal section perfectly?
May I have attention on these questions?
Thanks__
newlifesoon wrote:
Guys,

I've been thinking for so long to share a success story here but it didn't happen. (at least in my perspective)

I'll try my best and tell everything in a short story.
I've decided to apply top 10 MBA programs in US in May'17. I visited some b-schools in US and then started to study for GMAT in Jun'17.
Most of my friends had 3-4 weeks study for GMAT and got 720+ scores. So, I supposed that 3-4 weeks would be enough for me as well.
However, I commenced with a score of 400 in my mock exam to my GMAT journey.

At the end of the day, I got GMAT 7 times in 1.5 year period with a highest score of 680. (twice: Q50, V31 and Q49 v34)
So, in the 2nd round I applied some b-schools in US and UK.

Now, I'm planning to give one more shot (last one) to GMAT in order to pass the 700 barrier because I'll apply some other schools in Round 3.
(I am aware that there is less chance in Round 3)

I need a 3-4 weeks study plan and real help for direction.

Materials Used
OG-Almost All
Manhattan GMAT Books
E-GMAT Verbal Online
E-GMAT Scholarinium
Magoosh Course
Kaplan Verbal Guide
GMAT Club Tests
Veritas Prep Exams
Offical Guide 6 Exams
Kaplan 4 Exams
MGMAT 6 Exams

Thanks for your time and sharing your comments in advance.
It means a lot to me!

Are you native speaker? - Unfortunately not.
Which section in verbal is your weakest area? I am not sure of that because my sub-section rankings are changing considerably in every exam. I am only consistent on RC.
When I had V34, my sub-section rankings were 74th CR, 72nd RC, and 50th SC.
Other time, when I had V31, my sub-section rankings were 31th CR, 68th RC and 81st SC.

Do you understand every concept of verbal section perfectly? I thought so. I several times studied the concepts especially on SC.
May I have attention on these questions? Sure:)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
kiran120680 wrote:
newlifesoon wrote:
Guys,

I've been thinking for so long to share a success story here but it didn't happen. (at least in my perspective)

I've decided to apply top 10 MBA programs in US in May'17. I visited some b-schools in US and then started to study for GMAT in Jun'17.
Most of my friends had 3-4 weeks study for GMAT and got 720+ scores. So, I supposed that 3-4 weeks would be enough for me as well.

At the end of the day, I got GMAT 7 times in 1.5 year period with a highest score of 680. (twice: Q50, V31 and Q49 v34)

Now, I'm planning to give one more shot (last one) to GMAT in order to pass the 700 barrier because I'll apply some other schools in Round 3.

Materials Used
OG-Almost All
Manhattan GMAT Books
E-GMAT Verbal Online
E-GMAT Scholarinium
Magoosh Course
Kaplan Verbal Guide
GMAT Club Tests
Veritas Prep Exams
Offical Guide 6 Exams
Kaplan 4 Exams
MGMAT 6 Exams

It means a lot to me!

Hi, 680 is not a bad score to apply to any B-Schools. However, the top school's average is high compared to your score. GMAT score a factor to consider our application, it has 25-40% weightage. other 60-75% has weightage on essays, LOR, your experience, and diversity. Good essays and strong recommendations will help to get admit in TOP schools with your current score.

Thanks for your answer.
I've already applied to 7 b-schools MBA program with that score.
Fingers crossed.

However, I'm planning to apply few more in the next round. So, I just wanted to give one more shot to GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Raxit85 wrote:
Hi,

As rightly said by Kiran, GMAT Score could contribute around one third of entire application. So, you can strengthen other areas while giving your best shot in last chance. You may need to focus more on your weak areas of verbal section. Believe in yourself that you can do it. You are just few more streaks away from your destination. Best of luck!!

Thanks for your support!
In my seven attempts, I struggled to spot my weaknesses and decide my way of studying for my next attempt without getting any professional help.
I thought that may be this time, it would be much better to write down here to get some help from experts.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi newlifesoon,

From your initial post, I think that you already know that GMAC has an 8-test 'limit' for each Test Taker (but I just want to make sure that you know that since you've taken the Official GMAT 7 times already, this next attempt would be your last). Beyond that, I'd like to know a bit more about your prior Official GMATs and your timeline going forward:

1) On what dates did you take EACH of your Official GMATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
2) What application deadlines are you currently facing?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your most recent Official GMAT. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi newlifesoon,

From your initial post, I think that you already know that GMAC has an 8-test 'limit' for each Test Taker (but I just want to make sure that you know that since you've taken the Official GMAT 7 times already, this next attempt would be your last). Beyond that, I'd like to know a bit more about your prior Official GMATs and your timeline going forward:

1) On what dates did you take EACH of your Official GMATs and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report for your most recent Official GMAT. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

Rich

Thanks for your response Rich.

1. Exams
20 November 2018 - 660
7 December 2018 - 650
26 December 2018 - 640
16 July 2019 - 660
23 August 2019 - 680 (Q49, V34)
13 December 2019 - 680 (Q50, V31)
30 December 2019 - 640 (Q50, V28)

I don't remember exactly my other scores subsets but for Quantative part, it was mostly Q49 or Q50; and for Verbal Part, it was changing around V28 to V35.

2. Deadlines
I'm looking forward to apply LBS, INSEAD and Stanford with the dates of 5 March, 11 March and 8 April respectively.

3. ESRs
I'm sharing ESRs for 2 exams in my next post since system does not allow me to share a file before sharing 5 posts.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi newlifesoon,

Rich

You can find ESRs in the attachment.
Attachments

File comment: 23 August-2019_ESR_GMAT
23 August-2019_ESR_GMAT.pdf [506.4 KiB]
Downloaded 44 times

File comment: 13 December-2019_ESR_GMAT
13 December-2019_ESR_GMAT.pdf [490.89 KiB]
Downloaded 46 times

newlifesoon wrote:
Asad wrote:
Hello,
Welcome to the GMAT Club.
Are you native speaker?
Which section in verbal is your weakest area?
Do you understand every concept of verbal section perfectly?
May I have attention on these questions?
Thanks__
newlifesoon wrote:
Guys,

Materials Used
OG-Almost All
Manhattan GMAT Books
E-GMAT Verbal Online
E-GMAT Scholarinium
Magoosh Course
Kaplan Verbal Guide
GMAT Club Tests
Veritas Prep Exams
Offical Guide 6 Exams
Kaplan 4 Exams
MGMAT 6 Exams

It means a lot to me!

Are you native speaker? - Unfortunately not.
Which section in verbal is your weakest area? I am not sure of that because my sub-section rankings are changing considerably in every exam. I am only consistent on RC.
When I had V34, my sub-section rankings were 74th CR, 72nd RC, and 50th SC
Other time, when I had V31, my sub-section rankings were 31th CR, 68th RC and 81st SC.[/b]
Do you understand every concept of verbal section perfectly? I thought so. I several times studied the concepts especially on SC.
May I have attention on these questions? Sure:)

Your verbal score is not stable. It seems that your concept on verbal is not clear at all. From your SC score i assume that you are passing hard time to find out the meaning of a sentence (if this is true, you should take a break from GMAT, and study some professional reading). SC is all about the game of meaning! Scoring high in GMAT is not the matter of luck. As this one is your last time (you can take GMAT at best 8 times in your whole life), you should take it seriously.
Most importantly, you can still get a good business school by 680 if you can win in holistic process.
Thanks__
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1433 [0]
Given Kudos: 582
Send PM
newlifesoon wrote:
Guys,

Materials Used
OG-Almost All
Manhattan GMAT Books
E-GMAT Verbal Online
E-GMAT Scholarinium
Magoosh Course
Kaplan Verbal Guide
GMAT Club Tests
Veritas Prep Exams
Offical Guide 6 Exams
Kaplan 4 Exams
MGMAT 6 Exams

It means a lot to me!

680 is a nice score. Your hard work and persistence are admirable. You could resolve some more official material from GMAT prep. A through and through revision and a strong mindset might help you cross 700 barriers in the last attempt. Nothing is impossible!!!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Burak,

I've sent you a PM with an analysis of your ESR and some additional notes and questions.

Rich
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi newlifesoon,

Although I do not know too much regarding your situation with the GMAT, you appear to be pretty set in quant but needing to improve your verbal skills to hit your 700+ score goal. Would you like some advice regarding how to improve in all aspects of GMAT verbal? Also, you may find it helpful to read the following article:

How to Score a 700+ on the GMAT — A Mini Guide for Success
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts