Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:18 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V40
GPA: 3.49
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Took my first official test today: 690 (Q47, V38). Retake in 3 weeks.. [#permalink]
Hi gmatman77 ..
I believe you can improve 30 points and reach your target score. You can check the following link - https://gmatclub.com/forum/should-i-ret ... 83339.html. You can work on timing strategies through mocks. When you face a tough, strange wordy question in CR, why don't you skip it? Some test takers follow this strategy in order to put more time in easy/medium questions.

gmatman77 wrote:
I'm aiming for what I got on my practice exams... so at least a 720. The #1 thing that jumps out at me from the real exam today was time management - Quant was a little more manageable (I struggled to get to the finish line) but Verbal was a slog. I got such long-winded SCs and CRs that I spent most of the time reading the question but then they seemed difficult and so I didn't retain what was said, and then dug myself a deeper hole as the questions went on. I am honestly surprised I did as well as I did for verbal - felt like I totally bombed it.

And yes, I am continuing to use TTP for math and just signed up for EmpowerGMAT specifically for verbal. I'll have 3 weeks (While working full-time) to prepare for my retake in Feb 15.

Leadership
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Took my first official test today: 690 (Q47, V38). Retake in 3 weeks.. [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi gmatman77,

First off, a 690/Q47 is a fantastic Score, so it could be enough to get you into your first-choice School. As such, a retest might not be necessary. There's no harm in continuing to study though - and you have the potential to pick up some meaningful points in BOTH the Quant and Verbal sections. Depending on the Schools that you plan to apply to, you would likely find it beneficial to speak with an Admissions Expert about your overall profile and plans. There's a Forum full of those Experts here:

https://gmatclub.com/forum/ask-admissio ... tants-124/

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

1) How many hours did you typically study each week and how many hours will you be able to study each week going forward?
2) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks and how did you score on EACH (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?
3) What application deadlines are you currently facing?

You might also choose to purchase the Enhanced Score Report. While the ESR doesn’t provide a lot of information, there are usually a few data points that we can use to define what went wrong on Test Day (and what you should work on to score higher). If you purchase the ESR, then I'll be happy to analyze it for you.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Took my first official test today: 690 (Q47, V38). Retake in 3 weeks.. [#permalink]
Thanks, Rich. It is above the median GMAT score of 680 for the program that is my #1 choice (although it is only a part time program). I already scheduled the retake so I'm going to give it a shot because I know I can get 720+.
My undergrad GPA and school are fairly good. And my current role is a leadership type role. I feel pretty good about getting into the part time program (knocking on wood).

1) With winter break, I was able to study 3-4 hours a day. For the next 3 weeks, weekdays will be 1-2 hours and weekends will be 4-6 hours.
2) I took 5 CATs every other day leading up to the week of the exam - I could've been a little burnt out. My highest Q was 50, lowest was 47. My highest verbal was 42 and lowest was a putrid 32. Range was 680 to 740. 720 (Q49, V39), 730 (Q47, V42), 680 (Q48, V34), 740 (Q50, V39).
3) I have R3 deadlines in April for #1 choice and May for my back-up school.

I bought the ESR. I was very surprised at the results. My weakest areas were geometry and RC - but normally I feel very comfortable with these topics. My weakest area is definitely CR. My main issues were anxiety and timing (and those kind of compounded together).

I am using the quick verbal enhancement from EmpowerGMAT. Going through mainly the SC & CR. I'll be alternating with math from TTP. I THINK I should be able to maintain the high Q score. My bottleneck is definitely verbal.

EMPOWERgmatRichC
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatman77,

I've sent you a PM with some additional notes.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Hi gmatman77, congrats for achieving 690. Such score is sufficient for going to European/UK MBA programs. If you want to retake, please keep the current score.

There is a room for improvement for Q47, of course. You can practice gmatclub to put you on the same pressure as the real test.

Posted from my mobile device
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi gmatman77,

I know that we have spoken already, so to reiterate, follow the plan I sent over. If you need anything else, feel free to reach out to me directly.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts