Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:18 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:18

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619000 [13]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [3]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [1]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: Each of the 4 students in a certain class read several books during th [#permalink]
Kudos
Quote:
Each of the 4 students in a certain class read several books during the past month. What was the standard deviation of the numbers of books read by the 4 students during the past month?

(1) The range of the number of books read by the 4 students during the past month was 0.

(2) One of the 4 students read 5 books during the past month.

sd is the measure of the dispersion of the dataset relative to its mean; if all datapoints are the same, the sd=0, if not, then the sd>0; the greater the difference between datapoint and the mean the greater the sd, and the closer the datapoint is to the mean, the smaller the sd.

(1) The range of the number of books read by the 4 students during the past month was 0. sufic

range=0 then, all datapoints are equal, thus sd=0.

(2) One of the 4 students read 5 books during the past month. insufic

s1: 5, but the others are unknown.

Ans (A)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [1]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Each of the 4 students in a certain class read several books during th [#permalink]
Kudos
(1) The range of the number of books read by the 4 students during the past month was 0. That means there would be no deviation (or standard deviation =0).
SUFFICIENT

We don't know how many books read by each of the other three students.
NOT SUFFICIENT.

FINAL ANSWER IS (A)

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 216 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Leadership, Sustainability
Schools: Stanford
Send PM
Kudos
1.The range is the highest number minus the lowest; if the range is 0 therefore all the numbers are the same meaning the sd is also 0
Sufficient
2. We don’t know the other numbers
Insufficient

Therefore
A

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4096 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Sustainability, Marketing
GMAT Focus 1:
545 Q79 V79 DI73
GPA: 4
WE:Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
The range of the number of books read by the 4 students during the past month was 0.
means all value are equal or say identical so the SD would be 0 as well ; sufficient
One of the 4 students read 5 books during the past month.
other students books info not know ; insufficient
IMO A

Each of the 4 students in a certain class read several books during the past month. What was the standard deviation of the numbers of books read by the 4 students during the past month?

(1) The range of the number of books read by the 4 students during the past month was 0.

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [1]
Given Kudos: 101
Send PM
Kudos
Four students read some books within the previous month. We are to determine the SD of the books read by the four students.

Statement 1: The range of the number of books read by the 4 students during the past month was 0.
From statement 1 above, we can conclude that the four students read the same number of books in the previous month since the range is 0. And once the range is zero, it means that the standard deviation is 0 as well. Statement 1 is sufficient.

Statement 2: One of the 4 students read 5 books during the past month.

Clearly insufficient. The remaining three students could each read 5 books as well in which case the SD is zero. They could each read 6 books or any number of books different from 5 in which case SD is not zero.

The answer is A.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
1) Sufficient :If the range is zero, then all of the numbers are the same and the standard deviation is zero.

2) Insufficient

A
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1441 [1]
Given Kudos: 994
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
It is Gmat prep question
Please tag
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 531 [0]
Given Kudos: 4092
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 620 Q47 V30
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:Corporate Finance (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Dear Bunuel ,

Please tag the question - GMATPREP - EP6

Best !!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619000 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShankSouljaBoi wrote:
Dear Bunuel ,

Please tag the question - GMATPREP - EP6

Best !!

Own Kudos [?]: 4928 [0]
Given Kudos: 690
Concentration: Accounting
Send PM
Top Contributor
Bunuel wrote:

Competition Mode Question

(1) When range is 0, which means all 4 number were equal, and the standard deviation will be 0. Sufficient.

(2) No information of other three. Insufficeint.

The answer is A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
I actually encountered this problem while I was doing exam prep #5.

The first option says that range is 0 and that means Max - Min = 0, not all four of them have difference of zero, no?

iow, if we assume that a<b<c<d

and d-a = 0, how about b and c?

cuz of that I have selected E. The first option does not explicitly say that difference between every number is zero, but only max-min
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
janbol wrote:
I actually encountered this problem while I was doing exam prep #5.

The first option says that range is 0 and that means Max - Min = 0, not all four of them have difference of zero, no?

iow, if we assume that a<b<c<d

and d-a = 0, how about b and c?

cuz of that I have selected E. The first option does not explicitly say that difference between every number is zero, but only max-min

janbol, if the highlighted portion is true. D-a cannot be 0 as D would be greater than a.

If max-min = 0, then all the numbers would be equal. Think about it, all the values would fall between max and min, if the max and min are same, that does not leave any space for the remaining values. They'd have to be equal to max and min.

If this doesn't help, try thinking of an actual number set (not variables) in which the range is 0, but the numbers are different.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92914 posts