Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [8]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
The crux is that homeostasis is more about the maintenance of heat rather than about the mammals, and therefore it is necessary to keep the noun and its definition close together. That is the reason choices A, B and E can be instantly booted out. Between C and D, it does not take much to dismiss D as a fragment. C is the answer.

Hello daagh sir,

Could you please help me how to deal with such comparison questions. I have always struggled in these helping verb, auxiliary verb, and ellipsis type constructions.

I would explain my understanding :-

, in regard to noun and noun :- This seems to be an adverbial modifier modifying how are the 2 types more effective at maintaining homeostasis. Hence I didn't think it was necessary to keep it close to homeostasis.

Secondly,
in A) I don't see any ambiguity :- Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than are reptiles.

If reptiles is treated as subject after than - Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than reptiles are at maintaining homeostasis -> Makes perfect sense

If reptiles is treated as object after than - Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than Mammals are effective at reptiles -> This just doesn't make sense at all

And hence I thought there was no ambiguity and was the correct answer.

It would really help if you could help me pinpoint where my understanding is flawed?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
shamkeev

Comparisons are tricky affairs and form the toughest types of SC. Existing perceptions may turn to be wrong in concealed comparisons.

Please also remember that when stative or status verbs are involved eliding the stative verb in the second part is ok, while if it involves action verbs, the action should be explicitly repeated in both parts.

I believe that A and B also may mean that mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than (mammals) are at maintaining reptiles.

The proof of this ambiguity is in the OA. It has ruled out A and B; We must abide by that wisdom, unless we can justify we can reason better than Institutions. I would suggest that you ask the institution how their perception is defensible.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
By the way, this question seems to be inspired by the this official question.

Sometimes, meaning subtleties do get a bit lost in these kind of situations.
SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2207 [0]
Given Kudos: 1665
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.97
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

The differences between our available answer choices are pretty small, so what do we need in order to make sure the sentence is doing what it may not be? Since "maintaining" and "sustaining" are in the same form, they are both actions of "Mammals." What, then, is "in regard to consistent body temperatures" describing: reptiles or homeostasis? Homeostasis, definitely. Whenever possible we want to keep extra description close to what it's describing, which leaves us with (C) and (D). Choice (D) removes one of the verbs, leaving us with this: "Mammals...and sustaining...," which doesn't make sense.

The correct answer is Choice (C).
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
When we read the underlined portion of the sentence, we realize that the error is with the phrase ‘than are reptiles’ and the placement of the noun ‘reptiles’.

We can now scan the answer choices to see the differences.
We can eliminate Option A because of the error in Comparison. We see that Options D and Option E are not logical in their meaning or construction and therefore can be eliminated.

We can eliminate Option B since the noun ‘reptile’ is placed away from the other noun it is being compared with.

Thus, we are left with Option C – the right answer!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

Abhi077 wrote:
Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than are reptiles, in regard to consistent body temperatures, and sustaining it in various environments.

A. Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than are reptiles,
B. Mammals are more effective at maintaining homeostasis than reptiles,
C. Mammals are more effective than reptiles at maintaining homeostasis,
D. Mammals, more effective than reptiles at maintaining homeostasis,
E. Mammals maintain homeostasis more effectively than reptiles,

Choice A: This answer choice incorrectly modifies the noun "reptile" with the phrase "in regard to consistent..."; this phrase must modify the noun "homeostasis" to convey the intended meaning of the sentence. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice B: This answer choice incorrectly compares "homeostasis" to reptiles. This answer choice also repeats the error found in Option A. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice C: This answer choice correctly conveys the intended meaning of the sentence by comparing "mammals" and "reptiles" and correctly modifying the noun "homeostasis" with the phrase "in regard to consistent..." to convey what type of homeostasis is referred to in this sentence. Thus, this answer choice is correct.

Choice D: This answer choice omits the main verb acting upon the subject "mammals", the verb "are"; resultantly, the sentence is incomplete. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Choice E: This answer choice repeats the errors found in Options A and B. Thus, this answer choice is incorrect.

Hence, C is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts