Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:21 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4719 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3903 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1133 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
 Q50  V34
Send PM
[#permalink]
NEVER EVER THINK OF QUITTING JOB. If quitting a job can get you a good score then most successful people on GMAT would be people straight out of college and all business schools would be filled with people without experience. Don't underestimate the importance of work experience to get into program of your choice. GMAT is just one aspect of that whole process. Try to steal time from your busy schedule. Make a habit of studying atleast 2 hours on a weekday and 5-6 hours on weekends. You may have to restrict your other ventures such as boozing, loitering, watching TV etc. Prepare a study plan and STICK TO IT. Need any help? Ask anybody here;there are so many smart people here. You are also smart but you just need to discover yourself.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think you should take advantage of both the verbal and math sections of this forum and try to do some problems there every day. Also try to manage your time more efficiently, use evenings and weekends. Probably there's no need to quit your job. I believe if you find the correct way of studying, you can get a decent score. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
celiaXDN wrote:
I think you should take advantage of both the verbal and math sections of this forum and try to do some problems there every day. Also try to manage your time more efficiently, use evenings and weekends. Probably there's no need to quit your job. I believe if you find the correct way of studying, you can get a decent score. Good luck!

All is well said above, but I will add, i quit my job to prepare for GMAT, but that wasn't the only region. If your job is making you unhappy and its not what you want to do it will have a negative effect on your work. I know I didnt' see a huge improvement in my score but suffice to say, it would have never gotten there, if I hadn't! Just my two cents.

R
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1117 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would disrecommend quitting your job for multiple reasons:

1. You need the stable income to sustain yourself now and as much savings as possible for b-school over the next two years when you DEFINATELY will not be able to work. Work has to be your first priority at the moment, without it you won`t be able to survive.

2. GMAT can be surmounted with dedicated perserverance. Meticulously scrutinize your schedule, negotiate with your superior, use your sick days and vacation time, your lunch break, etc instead to find a way to squeeze out extra study time. I also have a hectic schedule like you (if not more so) but somehow, someway, I manage to eek out 10-15 hours of quality study time a week. You might want to even try text messaging yourself SC and CR problems so that you can study between guests, during coffee breaks, or whenever you have a spare 5-10 minutes. The key is to be the master of time management.

3. Quitting work means losing contacts and letters of recommendation from managers or coworkers who will inevitably have to support you in phase #2 of the application process. Maintain those ties and even start to think about who you will be approaching this fall.

4. If all else fails and you happen to already have a nice nest egg saved, then put in a request for a temporary semi-full time schedule change (35-40 hours a week) so that you can invest more energy into your prep. Honestly though, this should only be a contingency option if you feel yourself getting stressed out.

We are all in the same boat here, so remember to keep your head high and be the master of your time. You will prevail.

8-)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 769 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
From what you said it seems to me that your job is rather exaughsting. I do feel that you would not give a proper preparation if you are tired all the time. I agree that you need to think about how you like your job, whether it is what you love, or if it has become a burden. It's a good thing that you are ok financially. This gives you more choices than some of us. If you like your job, perhaps you could find a way to shorten your working hours temporarily? I would recommend you take at least a week off from work before the test.

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
sperumba wrote:
Just get up early at 4:00 am every day and study till 7:00 for the next three months.

A gap in your resume for three months will show badly.

Agree completely with that. I followed the same routine (I had long working hours at work many times) to get up early and study before I got to office. The key is to be consistent with your schedule. No matter how busy/tired you are - devote at least 1 hour everyday.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
This is an old thread.... but I thought I'd pop in here and mention that I quit my last job for the GMAT. I felt I had no choice though, I usually got up at 5.30 or so, and was in the car by 6.30, home around 10 to 11pm. I really had no time.

We shall see how it plays out on my apps. There was a 3 week gap between jobs.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Is it better to leave my job? [#permalink]
Hi Tareek !
I recomend you to take Kaplan' nine weeks course. I am a little further than the midpoint at the moment, and I am finding kaplan very helpful. They offer classes once a week, for 3 hours a class, but their program is unbelievably helpful. You are required to take 1 practice CAT exam every week, and by doing that you can see where you stand at the time, and what you need to do to fill in your gaps.
On my diagnostic test I got 350. My first practice exam, that is 4 weeks after the beggining of the course I got 490. Second I got 440. The third I got 540, and hopefuly on the next one I will do even better than this.
I am putting a lot of time for GMAT. I sacrifized many things but I don't mind it when I see my score improving. You have to have strong will, put time to study and don't worry.
It's the truth I don't work as much since I started going to school for GMAT. I work about 32 hours a week as opposed to 45 what I' ve done before the exam.
Good luck and for any questions contact me.
Nermin
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 534 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would suggest not to quit your job. It is best that you keep specific hours for doing your GMAT say 7-9 pm every day and then a few on weekends. That will be the ideal mix.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I say, it all depends on your situation and your future plan.
see, I'm a student taking 18 credits, preparing for GMAT, and working as well. I found that I really can't take three things together at one time, so I have to give up my job.
just remember, whatever you are doing, trust your heart. Your heart will tell you which one is more important for you, and for which you will give up^^
good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I don't know your exact circumstances but will ask you to carefully evaluate all of your options. Quitting your job is a big and risky decision:

1) Would it be easy for you to get a job after giving GMAT?
2) Have you absolutely tried your best to squeeze as much time as possible within your day? As much as 2 hours a day of regular studying for a period of few months will be able to provide your good prep time. Can you not find an hour before work and an hour after work each day?
3) Will you be able to do justice with the time available if you do quit your job? It may actually be easier to study while you work because work would provide you some diversion from studies. Studying the whole day would actually not be that easy..
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
I have been watching the happenings from a distance for quite some time.

My sincere advice would be to switch to a less demanding job or even a part time job.

This will avoid having a break in the service and give ample time to concentrate on the job at hand.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 425 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
I really admire people who can work full-time while preparing for the GMAT and still getting high score. Honestly, I am only average and I decided to make a trade-off between my job and the GMAT. But it doesn't mean I quit my job, I only take 3-month unpaid leave :D. I have read in somewhere that You might have to make sacrifices to study for the GMAT, but it will pay off.
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
This thread is old. Locking it since most of the people who are part of the conversation are long gone.
GMAT Club Bot