Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [6]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
So - what do you REALLY want to do post MBA? [#permalink]
Kudos
souvik101990 I'm still a college senior, final year of my business administration (BBA) course. The only step I've taken towards my MBA is writing the GMAT, and tbvh, it almost seems like it was the easiest step now.
All the strategizing and planning and thinking about 4 years from now when I'll apply to MBA programs has been getting to me.
Like most, I've been considering management consulting, purely because I'll be working as a hedge fund analyst for the next 2 years at least, and I already know that finance is not really what I want to do in the long run.
That being said, I'm always open to exploring other career paths. In your experience, did students with no tech/PM background stand a chance during the recruitment process for these roles?

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72859 [4]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
This is a bit of a sidebar.... but there is definitely am adjustment to goals and plans that happens to one’s goals during and after the MBA. For one they are often not well enough researched. But even if they are, other opportunities come up and things change in 2 years. Sometimes people realize what they were after is not what they are interested in... I have known only one person who had a very specific role for entertainment industry (quantitative marketing) and who quickly got an internship in the field and the recruited later and got a return offer and stayed loyal to their goal. This person did quit after some time though as life has changed or perhaps they had a different plan all along to start their own one-man consulting company... so lots of things come along but that does not mean you should just not make any plans or have no goals. People who set goals gm tend to be more successful and those who write those goals down end up being twice as successful is achieving those goals as those who don’t write them down.

So, research, be as specific as you can, and the set measurable goals and write them down.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [4]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
Couldn’t help but chime in on this. To bb ’s point, even if you’ve researched really well, if you stay rigid to your goals, you might not be able to leverage your MBA completely as the most value of any top MBA program is for its networks and connections. Depending on how you leverage those networks, you can have a different path to wherever you are in 3-5y post MBA. The other thing is that coming into an MBA program, you would’ve researched your top 3 choices post MBA but what about the others? Do you know for sure that you wouldn’t like those or even know what they are (wrt industry and/or function)? Over the course of 2 years of the program, you will invariably get to know about newer paths that you might not have known when you were researching for your applications.

These 2 are the biggest reasons why I think it’s absolutely fine to not stick to your goals or have a competent different career path. I keep telling people to be flexible with their thoughts while they are going to start their MBA journeys or else they won’t be able to maximize the ‘value’ coming into the program.

SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Send PM
Re: So - what do you REALLY want to do post MBA? [#permalink]
I completely rambled on without answering your question... :lol:

Here is my take: work in a client facing industry (be it Consulting or PE) and make a big enough retirement nest for my family in the next 13-15y that I dont have to worry even if I dont work beyond that. Function/role doesnt matter to me, I have also considered myself as a corporate mercenary who will do whatever needs to be done!

souvik101990 wrote:
I have been thinking about this a lot and as I am about to embark in a long and dark journey in a career in product, I was wondering about what others think of!

If you are lurking around to do your MBA and are trying to understand or reflect on what you REALLY want to do (not just the thoughtful snippets you write in your school essays), come share. We will analyze your goals and aspirations together!

I will start with mine.

Primarily, I want to land a SVP/CXO role in a small-ish tech firm in 10-12 years, but more importantly, I want a breadth of experience that helps me save about $1-2M in that time frame to not have to worry about money, live in 3 different countries at least, and write fiction by the time I am 40 (which is a decade close, well almost!)

What do you want to do with your life? How does the MBA fit in?

Let's talk!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Great topic. Have been thinking about asking this on the forum for a while now. What about one year MBA goals? If one wants to change careers/ domains/ industry? I am a CA working in a PSU and want to shift to consulting /product management as backup. But I agree with souvik that I don’t have a fondness for airports either. After a lot of research somehow I am getting interested in strategy and brand management. I might not put that in my essays but yes it’s intriguing as of now. What are your thoughts on taking a plunge into an unconventional role post one year MBA from India?

SVP
SVP
Send PM
Bhavz10 wrote:
Great topic. Have been thinking about asking this on the forum for a while now. What about one year MBA goals? If one wants to change careers/ domains/ industry? I am a CA working in a PSU and want to shift to consulting /product management as backup. But I agree with souvik that I don’t have a fondness for airports either. After a lot of research somehow I am getting interested in strategy and brand management. I might not put that in my essays but yes it’s intriguing as of now. What are your thoughts on taking a plunge into an unconventional role post one year MBA from India?

If its USA you are looking at for your geography, its more difficult coming out of a 1Y MBA program as your "brand" isnt known in US unless you also do an internship in that 1 year of MBA. This is the reason why I always recommend people from India to do 2Y MBA program. Companies are becoming more and more closed to sponsoring you for H1b and they wont hire you on F1 OPT either as that will be too much of an issue for their legal teams to have you work for them for 1y in US and then moving you to a new geography. 1Y MBA programs are thus good for the following sets of folks from India:

1) People who dont want to switch industry/function or are sponsored by their parent companies
2) People who want to recruit for MEA or APAC offices of the MNCs
3) People who want to open or work on their own ventures post MBA

BTW, treating consulting as a 'backup' will not be realistic as there is a lot of competition for MBB and T1 companies while others wont sponsor you, period. Consulting companies also prefer to see prior consulting experience or US internship experience.

------------

If you are referring to getting 1Y MBA from India and staying in India post MBA, then we are talking about a different set of considerations. If this is the case, then by all means you should try to go for unconventional paths post-MBA as you would have created a strong network of people you can fall back/rely on.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
ENGRTOMBA2018 wrote:
Bhavz10 wrote:

If its USA you are looking at for your geography, its more difficult coming out of a 1Y MBA program as your "brand" isnt known in US unless you also do an internship in that 1 year of MBA. This is the reason why I always recommend people from India to do 2Y MBA program. Companies are becoming more and more closed to sponsoring you for H1b and they wont hire you on F1 OPT either as that will be too much of an issue for their legal teams to have you work for them for 1y in US and then moving you to a new geography. 1Y MBA programs are thus good for the following sets of folks from India:

1) People who dont want to switch industry/function or are sponsored by their parent companies
2) People who want to recruit for MEA or APAC offices of the MNCs
3) People who want to open or work on their own ventures post MBA

BTW, treating consulting as a 'backup' will not be realistic as there is a lot of competition for MBB and T1 companies while others wont sponsor you, period. Consulting companies also prefer to see prior consulting experience or US internship experience.

------------

If you are referring to getting 1Y MBA from India and staying in India post MBA, then we are talking about a different set of considerations. If this is the case, then by all means you should try to go for unconventional paths post-MBA as you would have created a strong network of people you can fall back/rely on.

I am actually looking at one year MBA from India only as I plan to settle here only. Glad to know I can switch fields later in India from one year MBA itself. Coming to the topic of why I REALLY want to do MBA is because of the network, the fast paced career ( I thrive in stress), knowing the in’s and out of a business and not just the finance side of it , plus am great at managing people , and frankly being in a CXO position is a rush!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ENGRTOMBA2018 - thanks for the insights! I have a question for you. I don't mind looking at the corporate ladder and do whatever I need to do to make a name/place for myself. I guess my broader goal is to be able to travel and live in different parts of the world and also be a product leader. I don't know if they necessarily go together :(

So my question to you is how do MBA students a few years out of school evaluate how they are doing? Is it the money in their banks? The promotions? How do you know it is time for a move?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
ENGRTOMBA2018 - thanks for the insights! I have a question for you. I don't mind looking at the corporate ladder and do whatever I need to do to make a name/place for myself. I guess my broader goal is to be able to travel and live in different parts of the world and also be a product leader. I don't know if they necessarily go together :(

So my question to you is how do MBA students a few years out of school evaluate how they are doing? Is it the money in their banks? The promotions? How do you know it is time for a move?

Great question and I dont think I have found the right answer as there is none! I left Amazon after 5 months as I didnt feel it was a good fit as I didnt learn anything new after my first day. I also knew consulting or IBanking will set me up for good or better exit opportunities down the line. Both of these were driving me towards the next thing to do, which in my case was leaving Amazon and going into consulting. It came down to a combination of "is this job worth my MBA" and "what are my exit opportunities after X # of years"...

I do think money in the bank is 'A' factor but not 'THE' factor per se. As you start a family of yours, youll also think about staying close to your family over a high paying consulting job. Promotions is a def factor, IMO, as any promotion means 2 things a) company is thinking about you in the right manner b) you are getting recognized. Both of these are things that make you happy at any given company.

In summary, there is no 1 way or method to evaluate how you are doing. You need to understand your own self to make that determination. Set yourself some goals (could be anything) for the next 3-5y and see if you can achieve those. If you do, you would have your answer and if not, pivot and see if you need to redefine your goals.

Hope this helps.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:

Why cant you travel and be a PM? I think if there 1 function that lets you do that is to be a PM as you have a lot of different opportunities open to you globally, from well-established players to startups that there will never be an dearth of these.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I’m surprised by how much my post-MBA goals changed during my first semester. I ultimately choose my summer internship, and perhaps my future career, based on culture rather than the more traditional delineations.

ENGRTOMBA alluded to this flexibility, although I may have pushed it too far. My classmates don’t quite share the same perception as I do (I chose an Energy LDP over FAANG PM, Tech Finance, and the possibility of a top IM offer), so perhaps I swayed a bit too far on the “fit” side.

To answer the question, I’d say my longer-term career goals are to advance within the company while building out my toolbox. So I guess the cross-functional exposure of an LDP may have actually been my second consideration.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
MBASomeTime wrote:
I’m surprised by how much my post-MBA goals changed during my first semester. I ultimately choose my summer internship, and perhaps my future career, based on culture rather than the more traditional delineations.

ENGRTOMBA alluded to this flexibility, although I may have pushed it too far. My classmates don’t quite share the same perception as I do (I chose an Energy LDP over FAANG PM, Tech Finance, and the possibility of a top IM offer), so perhaps I swayed a bit too far on the “fit” side.

To answer the question, I’d say my longer-term career goals are to advance within the company while building out my toolbox. So I guess the cross-functional exposure of an LDP may have actually been my second consideration.

Hah! If you are talking about 'flexibility', let me walk you through my MBA experience -> recruited for IB --> interned at RE PF management group --> did PE and VC internships --> did FT consulting and tech ops recruiting --> got into FAANG Ops role, left it 5 months after MBA --> recruited again for consulting --> now in Consulting FT (everything in a span of 2y). At the end of the day, its your MBA experience and how you want to shape it. No one can or should tell you what to do.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 502 [1]
Given Kudos: 250
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM