Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:46 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [11]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6859 [14]
Given Kudos: 500
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [2]
Given Kudos: 222
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Jean Wagner's most enduring contribution to the study of Afro-American [#permalink]
Kudos
Rinng0 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please explain Q3?

I think it is from the below part of the passage. But, I can not infer the OA. Am I missing something?

"But before Wagner a secular outlook that analyzed Black poetry solely within the context of political and social protest was dominant in the field."

Hey!
Yes, that is part of what you're meant to refer to in the passage for this question.
Move on to the second paragraph, it mentions how the Black Spiritual indeed had poetic work and that Wagner was the first to discover and assert this. It means that this was sort of a norm (probably unintentional of poets to include spiritual/relgious references in poems) and that the people who researched/worked in the poetic field (includes students too) did disregard this practice (aka tradition) in a way.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Send PM
Re: Jean Wagner's most enduring contribution to the study of Afro-American [#permalink]
sharathnair14 wrote:
Rinng0 wrote:
Hi,

Can you please explain Q3?

I think it is from the below part of the passage. But, I can not infer the OA. Am I missing something?

"But before Wagner a secular outlook that analyzed Black poetry solely within the context of political and social protest was dominant in the field."

Hey!
Yes, that is part of what you're meant to refer to in the passage for this question.
Move on to the second paragraph, it mentions how the Black Spiritual indeed had poetic work and that Wagner was the first to discover and assert this. It means that this was sort of a norm (probably unintentional of poets to include spiritual/relgious references in poems) and that the people who researched/worked in the poetic field (includes students too) did disregard this practice (aka tradition) in a way.

Thanks sharathnair14. Got it now.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Bookmarks
passage is easy but the questions are hard. the difficulty comes from the inference we need to make from the sentences in the passage .

regarding question 3.

this is the opposite information question typical on gmat. the information in the passage is X and we are asked about information which is opposite to X.
before 2000, company do not do X
question ask after 2000 what dose company do?

we need to read only one sentence "before Wagner..." to answer the question 3. but the inference is hard even we make inference from a short sentence. practice and we win.

this passage is at 700 level.
dont be happy to soon when we see an easy passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
in Ques 3 ....
for inference we read one line up and one line down also from respective location ..

as it is mentioned that ..

It is Wagner who first demonstrated the essential fusion of racial and religious feeling in Afro-American poetry.

so Ans is B
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Can anyone explain Q1 and Q2 . I found it difficult to mark option ..

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Send PM
Explain q1 and q2 as well please
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: Sauder '16
Send PM
Hello Experts,

Can you please explain why option B in Question 1 is incorrect?
Also in Question 2, i managed to eliminate choice B,C,D but was confused with A and E.
Please help me with these two questions.

Thanks
Lakshay
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.63
WE:Project Management (Health Care)
Send PM
Kudos
4min50s, 2 of 3 correct.

Notes:

Paragraph 1: JW's contribution to study of AA poetry is to introduce "religious analysis". Before that, it's only "secular".

Paragraph 2: Further explanations of JW's analysis on AA poetry.

Quote:
1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

(A) contrast the theories of Jean Wagner with those of other contemporary critics
(B) document the influence of Jean Wagner on the development of Afro-American poetry
(C) explain the relevance of Jean Wagner's work to the study of Afro-American religion
(D) indicate the importance of Jean Wagner's analysis of Afro-American poetry
(E) present the contributions of Jean Wagner to the study of Black spirituals

A) "contrast" is not the right word
B) almost correct except for "on the development of AA poetry". JW didn't do that (as not mentioned)
C) almost correct except for "AA religion", should be "poetry"
D) correct
E) Black spirituals is too general (or too specific), which is not the main idea

Quote:
2. All of the following aspects of Afro-American poetry are referred to in the passage as having been influenced by Wesleyan hymnals EXCEPT

(A) subject matter
(B) word choice
(C) rhythm
(D) structure
(E) tone

Refer to "The appropriateness of such an approach may seem self-evident for a tradition commencing with spirituals and owing its early forms, rhythms, vocabulary, and evangelical fervor to Wesleyan hymnals. "

A) not mentioned
B) refer to "vocabulary"
C) refer to "rhythms"
D) refer to "form"
E) refer to "evangelical fervor"

Quote:
3. It can be inferred from the passage that, before Wagner, most students of Afro-American poetry did which of the following?

(A) Contributed appreciably to the transfer of political protest from Afro-American poetry to direct political action.
(B) Ignored at least some of the historical roots of Afro-American poetry.
(C) Analyzed fully the aspects of social protest to be found in such traditional forms of Afro-American poetry as the Black spiritual.
(D) Regarded as unimportant the development of fervent emotionalism in a portion of Afro-American poetry.
(E) Concentrated on the complex relations between the technical elements in Afro-American poetry and its political content.

Refer to "The appropriateness of such an approach may seem self-evident for a tradition commencing with spirituals and owing its early forms, rhythms, vocabulary, and evangelical fervor to Wesleyan hymnals. But before Wagner a secular outlook that analyzed Black poetry solely within the context of political and social protest was dominant in the field.", so most studies ignore the "religious outlook" that JW emphasized.

A) not mentioned
B) correct, "historical roots" refers to "a tradition"
C) whether those studies analyzed "fully the aspects of social protest" is beyond the information given by author here. All what's mentioned is "analyzed black poetry solely within the contexst of political and social protest..."
D) whether preceding studies "regarded as unimportant" is unknown. It could be they didn't even think about it.
E) "the complex relations between technical elements and its political content" is not mentioned
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13960 posts