Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:26 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Sloan '22 (S)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
GPA: 3.46
WE:General Management (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale [#permalink]
Kudos
Couple questions...not sure if anyone has answers, just looking for some moral support I guess.

1) Does Yale review applications in any particular order? In other words, if I haven’t received an interview invite by now for R2, is it safe to assume they don’t like me as much as they like other candidates?

2) Given the above discussion RE: approx 50% of applicants get interviewed, does that mean I made some huge error in my application to end up in the bottom half? I know SOM is super competitive, but I thought I had a decent application.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022) :Yale [#permalink]
Kudos
TheRealFT wrote:
Couple questions...not sure if anyone has answers, just looking for some moral support I guess.

1) Does Yale review applications in any particular order? In other words, if I haven’t received an interview invite by now for R2, is it safe to assume they don’t like me as much as they like other candidates?

2) Given the above discussion RE: approx 50% of applicants get interviewed, does that mean I made some huge error in my application to end up in the bottom half? I know SOM is super competitive, but I thought I had a decent application.

I am quite confident that the admissions officer who said that must have misspoken. I’ve read in several places that they interview approximately 30-35% of applicants, and even Bruce DelMonico said 25% in a September 2019 ClearAdmit interview (I think he must have meant 35%).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I find it curious why one of my clients with an HBS invite has not yet heard from SOM. Anyone else get an HBS invite but no word from SOM?

Did your HBS client hear back from SOM yet? Any additional insight into why SOM might not be interested in that client?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
It’s not explicitly stated. But since P&Q says 806 admits, and MBADataGuru says 57% acceptance rate after interview, we can estimate approx 1,400 candidates get interviewed. That’s 45% of the 3,194 total applicants listed on P&Q. Not exactly 50%, but close enough for government work.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
TheRealFT wrote:
close enough for government work

Got a chuckle out of this one. Cheers!
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi TheRealFT I wrote a bit of an update with a hypothesis. Still nothing from Yale, but he has interviews at HBS, Kellogg and now Berkeley. I am guessing either 1.) they have not yet reviewed his application 2.) he seems out of reach to them (he has 3 citizenships - so this is a bonus) 3.) his GRE verbal is low - outside the 80% range for Yale - and they are kind of priding themselves on a bump in GRE from last year. OR 4.) his video interviews were not successful. This is honestly very likely - he's brilliant but not (yet) super charismatic on camera, I am working with him on opening his heart and throat chakras ;) It's going well. Bit of a scare today because impromptu HBS is inviting all HBS London invites to a bar on Sunday to chat with alums....and I was hoping he would have more time before being observed.

This video sums up how I am feeling about his Yale invitation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AIroyiLEM - its a bit odd to not hear back from quasi safety school..

TheRealFT wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
I find it curious why one of my clients with an HBS invite has not yet heard from SOM. Anyone else get an HBS invite but no word from SOM?

Did your HBS client hear back from SOM yet? Any additional insight into why SOM might not be interested in that client?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Do you guys think its safe to assume that Yale is a no go if you have yet to receive a R2 invite?
Send PM
Expert Reply
I don't necessarily think so, something was reported on clear admit yesterday. And I guess there's a lot of slots that are open still?
mbadreamz90 wrote:
Do you guys think its safe to assume that Yale is a no go if you have yet to receive a R2 invite?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
mbadreamz90 wrote:

I don't think you're for sure out at this point. Yale is really different in how they do things compared to other schools and it -is- a true rolling interview process. When I visited on campus, an admissions officer said there are times an interview invite is extended days before the admit deadline. However, I have heard their on-campus interview days are Fridays so not sure if that's still the same.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
Hi TheRealFT I wrote a bit of an update with a hypothesis. Still nothing from Yale, but he has interviews at HBS, Kellogg and now Berkeley. I am guessing either 1.) they have not yet reviewed his application 2.) he seems out of reach to them (he has 3 citizenships - so this is a bonus) 3.) his GRE verbal is low - outside the 80% range for Yale - and they are kind of priding themselves on a bump in GRE from last year. OR 4.) his video interviews were not successful. This is honestly very likely - he's brilliant but not (yet) super charismatic on camera, I am working with him on opening his heart and throat chakras ;) It's going well. Bit of a scare today because impromptu HBS is inviting all HBS London invites to a bar on Sunday to chat with alums....and I was hoping he would have more time before being observed.

This video sums up how I am feeling about his Yale invitation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1AIroyiLEM - its a bit odd to not hear back from quasi safety school..

TheRealFT wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

I already interviewed so I guess it doesnt really matter, but does SOM specifically target 80% range for Verbal? I though the 80% threshold rule was long dead?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Blazethrough14

I appreciate your input, thank you so much for your reply. What I mean by 80% is that 80% of the applicants have their verbal within a specific range.

Not really in the 80th percentile necessarily, know what I mean? So his verbal raw is a little outside of the range of 80% of the applicants.

Of course there remains 20% of the applicants but that's often exceptions made for very diverse, unique applicants who have a lot of offsetting entries.

Blazethrough14 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:

TheRealFT wrote:
[quote="MBAPrepCoach"]I find it curious why one of my clients with an HBS invite has not yet heard from SOM. Anyone else get an HBS invite but no word from SOM?

I already interviewed so I guess it doesnt really matter, but does SOM specifically target 80% range for Verbal? I though the 80% threshold rule was long dead?[/quote]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
End of the road? :?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
lukematic wrote:
End of the road? :?

I think it might be over for Yale.......the last week of February is just too late considering that they moved up their final offer date to like March 26 or something.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 610 Q34 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 2.3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
MBAPrepCoach

Did your engineer client get a response from Yale yet?
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sweet of you to check-in, no nothing. So not looking too good. And I'm especially bummed because he really did not enjoy the HBS reception in terms of the culture. So he's probably not even going to take an offer there so I really hope that Kellogg or Berkeley come through.
soco9076 wrote:
MBAPrepCoach

Did your engineer client get a response from Yale yet?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
Send PM
is it good to assume that all yale interview invites by now were out and the rest of the candidates were rejected ??

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Looks like all the rejection letters are starting to finally roll out. Just got mine via email.

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts