Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18866
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [2]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: CBS vs Full Ride [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
bb wrote:
Most schools only move when there is a scholarship offered at another program and if the OP reveals the other admit and scholarship it violates their agreement for the ED.

I can definitely relate to the dilemma. You don’t think there is a chance CBS could yank their admit from under them if they disclose the other admit? Are you suggesting to just ask for more $$ ?

Posted from my mobile device

I do not think CBS will take the admit away.

With the right amount of tact, the situation can be communicated well I suppose. Something like this may work if you choose to NOT mention the other school.

I am fully committed to going to Columbia Business School, as it has always been my top choice. However, with mounting undergrad debt and the opportunity cost, I would be much more well positioned to make the decision if I were offered some form of financial aid.

However, if you DO choose to mention your alternative, it might help with something like this:

I am fully committed to going to Columbia Business School despite receiving other admits with full scholarships, as it has always been my top choice. However, with mounting undergrad debt and the opportunity cost, I would be much more well-positioned to make the decision if I were offered some form of financial aid.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Thanks for the replies- your assumptions on schools are correct.... I was just offered ~1/4 tuition per year from CBS as part of their need based aid which certainly shifts the balance. I do fear risking my CBS admit so at this point I feel like any negotiation may be off the table given I am grateful to have received anything.

My question on which school to choose now also hinges on any substantial difference in quality of IB placements coming out of each school- does the difference in ranking/prestige actually matter- and if CBS gives more exposure/resources in regards to fields such as PE/IM down the road which would be worth the differential in cost now?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GRE 1: Q168 V157
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
"My question on which school to choose now also hinges on any substantial difference in quality of IB placements coming out of each school- does the difference in ranking/prestige actually matter- and if CBS gives more exposure/resources in regards to fields such as PE/IM down the road which would be worth the differential in cost now? "

I think the answer to this question depends on which T15 you have an offer from. If it's Stern, there won't be a difference in IB placements unless you're only recruiting for The Raine Group. At other's T15s with less dedicated resources towards NYC IB recruiting (even Johnson to an extent), CBS may be the better option for your career goals.

It's difficult to quantify the value of future placement opportunities - I can't disambiguate what's afforded to candidates from their background rather than the program they went to. But in the immediate sense, CBS has better placement and more resources dedicated to PE/IM opportunities. I'd say that carries over to when you might be looking for other opportunities 2-3 years down the line.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts