Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Overlapping Setsx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [75]
Given Kudos: 81594
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [12]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2286 [7]
Given Kudos: 66
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V45
GMAT 2: 780 Q50 V47
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Re: George has a total of B books in his library, 25 of which are hardcove [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Video solution from Quant Reasoning:
Subscribe for more: https://www.youtube.com/QuantReasoning? ... irmation=1
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 546 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
Send PM
Re: George has a total of B books in his library, 25 of which are hardcove [#permalink]
A couple of ways to solve this question:

Venn Diagram Method: https://youtu.be/5G5IwHoHjgk
Chart Method: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCn-r_4rNFI
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [1]
Given Kudos: 53
Send PM
Bookmarks
In this kind of DS questions are fiction/non-fiction and hardcover/paperback options exhaustive? If there is no note that he has only these kinds of books, we can't assume it, right?
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
manlog wrote:
In this kind of DS questions are fiction/non-fiction and hardcover/paperback options exhaustive? If there is no note that he has only these kinds of books, we can't assume it, right?

We cannot assume that because each of the statements clearly stated " and the rest ", implying other options could not be assumed.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [7]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
George has a total of B books in his library, 25 of which are hardcove [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
There are 4 categories of Books
P = Fiction & Hardcover
Q = Fiction & Paperback
R = Non-Fiction & Hardcover
S = Non-Fiction & Paperback

P+Q+R+S = B (given)
P = 25
Find Value of B

STMT 01: P+Q = 40
P=25 => Q = 15
P+Q+R+S = B
40+R+S = B
Since values of R & S are unknown. This stmt is insufficient.

STMT 02: P + R = 60
P=25 => R = 35
Q+S+60 = S
Since values of Q & S are unknow. This stmt is insufficient

STMT 01 & 02:
P=25 ; Q=15 ; R = 35 ; S = ?
P+Q+R+S = B
75+S = B
Still value of S is unknown. Hence E.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [3]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
George has a total of B books in his library, 25 of which are hardcove [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I completely agree that this question can be answered efficiently using a matrix box approach, also known as the double matrix. The one thing I want to add to this discussion is to answer the question: How do we know that we can use a matrix box on this question?

Whenever we see that a group can be divided into 2 parts in 2 different ways, we can use a matrix box. In this case, George's books can be divided into fiction and nonfiction (1st way) and hardcover and paperback (2nd way). This tells us that we can use a matrix box.

I hope that this helps others to more quickly recognize that a matrix box or double matrix will be useful on questions like these.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [8]
Given Kudos: 924
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
How do I immediately see that the following matrix is not sufficient? I though I had enough equations to solve for B Bunuel?
Attachments

Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 15.15.09.png
Screenshot 2019-09-11 at 15.15.09.png [ 88.43 KiB | Viewed 25435 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618875 [2]
Given Kudos: 81594
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ghnlrug wrote:
How do I immediately see that the following matrix is not sufficient? I though I had enough equations to solve for B Bunuel?

Plug some numbers there: if x = 0, then B = 75 but if x = 10, then B = 85.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 05-25-2012
GPA: 3.9
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Venn Diagrams vs Tables to solve [#permalink]
254. George has a total of B books in his library, 25 of which are hardcover fiction books. What is the value of B ?
(1) 40 of the B books are fiction and the rest are nonfiction.
(2) 60 of the B books are hardcovers and the rest are paperbacks.

This question from OG'18 has been solved using Venn Diagram in the OG, whereas the CrackVerbal Quant course says you can't solve for mutually exclusive categories with Venn Diagram. Is that a matter of choice or a rule? I know they have tried and pick non-exclusive categories to represent a Venn Diagram but is that even suggested?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [1]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Venn Diagrams vs Tables to solve [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Hello Shekhar,

For data that is mutually exclusive, drawing a table is the most optimal way of solving the problem. Drawing a Venn diagram for mutually exclusive events is pointless; the whole idea of drawing a Venn diagram is to work with the common regions. If data is mutually exclusive, you will not have any overlap of the circles and hence the advice to draw a table. However, it’s not a mandate. You can still draw a Venn diagram and answer the question.
I shall demonstrate both the approaches for you.

Using the table method, we can draw up a table like the ones below:

From statement I alone, we do not know the number of non-fiction books. Hence, insufficient.

Attachment:
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 2.jpg
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 2.jpg [ 36.56 KiB | Viewed 9975 times ]

From statement II alone, we do not know the split of the paperbacks. Insufficient.

Attachment:
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 3.jpg
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 3.jpg [ 36.68 KiB | Viewed 9973 times ]

The individual statements are insufficient since they do not provide us with enough information to fill up all the cells in the table and hence insufficient to find a value for B.

When we combine the statements also, you can see that we are unable to fill all the cells and there is still information needed about the Non-fiction paperback books to be able to find the value of B.

Attachment:
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 4.jpg
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 4.jpg [ 40.16 KiB | Viewed 9917 times ]

The combination of statements is also insufficient.

As you can see, the Venn diagrams approach is cumbersome because you need to draw multiple diagrams while testing the individual statements. We can draw the following Venn diagrams:

Attachment:
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 5.jpg
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 5.jpg [ 48.81 KiB | Viewed 9938 times ]

Using statement I alone, we see that we do not have information about the non-fiction books.

Attachment:
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 6.jpg
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 6.jpg [ 53.62 KiB | Viewed 9939 times ]

Using statement II alone, we see that we do not have information about the paperbacks.

Attachment:
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 7.jpg
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 7.jpg [ 52.8 KiB | Viewed 9925 times ]

Combining both statements, we see that we don’t have information about the Non-fiction paperbacks.

Attachment:
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 8.jpg
25th Feb 2020 - Reply 1 - 8.jpg [ 67.59 KiB | Viewed 9912 times ]

Since the combination of statements is insufficient to answer the question, the correct answer option is E

As I mentioned earlier, you CAN draw Venn diagrams to solve questions related to mutually exclusive data. But, its probably not the most optimal method in terms of time and effort, that is why we recommend drawing up a table.

Hope that helps!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13387 [2]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos