Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [0]
Given Kudos: 472
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [1]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 512 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Leadership, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V29
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: How to analyze CR answers in the OG? [#permalink]
Hi Louis14 ..
:cool: You are scoring Q45-Q46 in which mocks? Official or other prep companies mock series? Sorry, I have not gone through Manhattan but heard a positive feedback for all of its books.

Louis14 wrote:
Thanks for your guidance! I’m glad I’m on the right track. I’ll keep at it, though it’s not gonna be easy at all! It’s like chewing a gum after some time. :-D

As far as Quant is concerned, I was scoring in the range of Q45/46, so I bought and thoroughly went through this book, Manhattan Advanced Quant. I’m hoping it’ll help me get to Q49+. Have you gone through that book, and was it effective?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Kaplan (Q46); Economist Q(45)

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Louis14,

I don’t see anything wrong with your method. Regarding how to review questions, for sure, review any questions that you answer incorrectly, but if you find it helpful to solidify concepts by reviewing questions that you answered correctly, then do that as well. At the end of the day, regardless of how long it takes, your main goal needs to be to master CR. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
Hi Louis14,

I don’t see anything wrong with your method. Regarding how to review questions, for sure, review any questions that you answer incorrectly, but if you find it helpful to solidify concepts by reviewing questions that you answered correctly, then do that as well. At the end of the day, regardless of how long it takes, your main goal needs to be to master CR. If you have any other questions, feel free to reach out.

Thanks, sir for your guidance. Today, I got done with all the CR questions in the OG. My accuracy rate has been like 70%. Given my goal score of 700, do you think I need to improve my accuracy or is a 70% accuracy rate just fine? Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Louis14.

Finally, one stone out of the way. Good job on completing the CR from the OG. When you mention a 70% success rate, that is not bad. However, do bear in mind that the first 60 odd CR Questions in the OG are relatively moderate level of difficulty (most of them are in the 500-650 range). The questions get consistently difficult only in the last 80 odd questions. So to get a better sense of how you are actually going on the CR, do analyze where most of your mistakes occurred- middle or end.

Also, you can identify which question types are you struggling the most in- the most frequently tested question types are Weaken, Strengthen and Assumption- so make sure your foundations are solid there.
If you are missing out on Boldface or other rare question types, do not worry too much.
Also, consider practicing CR from the gmat 10 official past papers. They have some very good questions.

All the best!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sir, I consistently scored 7/10 or 8/10 while solving the OG CR questions, though there were a couple of exceptions. Since I did the OG questions on computer, and that gave me the option to opt questions in ‘random’ manner, I got questions from every difficulty level in the batches of 10 that I solved. So, I can say that I had a 70% accuracy overall. I did realise that I had problems with assumption question, so I went through the lectures to clear my concepts again. That helped. Btw, my accuracy rate in RC has been 85%. Now, I’m onto OG Quant questions. After which I’ll do SC. And then hopefully I’ll write the GMAT after taking a couple of practice tests. :)

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Louis14.
Have you used any other source for practicing Q or V, apart from the OG.

Do consider including the gmat past papers in your practice schedule. They have some very good CR questions.

It would be a good idea to do short mixed drills that include:
15 SC - 20 mins
10 CR- 22 mins
1 RC 6 to 10 mins, depending upon the number of questions.
All the best!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
How to analyze CR answers in the OG? [#permalink]
Well, I’ve been preparing for Quant for the last six months, so I’ve covered a lot actually. Apart from almost 600-700 questions that I did in my initial days of prep, I’ve solved 250 Veritas Prep questions, all the hard questions available with Magoosh, all the Manhattan GMAT Advanced Quant questions, including questions within each chapter as well as 150 questions at the end of the book. And now, finally, I’m gonna solve all the medium+hard level OG Quant questions. As far as verbal is concerned, I stuck with the OG because I’m pretty comfortable with grammar and reading long passage. CR has been my primary verbal weakness but since I went through Magoosh verbal lessons and did all the OG CR questions, I’m hoping I should have improved decently. Let’s see how my practice mock goes. Fingers crossed.

Sir, where can I get the past gmat papers as you have mentioned?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Send PM
You can find them in the official gmat website and am pretty sure they are available here on this forum as well.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Sure. I’ll search it. Thanks a lot!

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Do reach out if you are stuck with any CR Or any other questions.
Happy studying!

Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Louis14 wrote:

Thanks, sir for your guidance. Today, I got done with all the CR questions in the OG. My accuracy rate has been like 70%. Given my goal score of 700, do you think I need to improve my accuracy or is a 70% accuracy rate just fine? Thanks.

Honestly, I think you should push your accuracy rate as high as you can get it.
GMAT Club Bot