Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72886 [0]
Given Kudos: 18867
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: Staedtler Marker's tip dries out within 15 seconds when held in hand [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hm... the one I have had for years is not quite as bad. Definitely has had a longer life span.... so not sure why yours have had such short time span... too old perhaps? Dry already?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Staedtler Marker's tip dries out within 15 seconds when held in hand [#permalink]
Dillesh4096 wrote:
Hi iLucKy

I have ordered one from Amazon and that also has the same problem.

I just close it as soon as I’m done with solving the question, that helps to decrease in tip getting dried.

Yes, it’s irritating and distracting too during mocks, but in real test they gave me 2 markers which were working fine, and I have used them alternatively in every 15/20 min and didn’t face any issue.

Dillesh4096:
Are you sure? I spoke with a test center proctor today and he told me that this tip drying out issue happens even in the examination center. Yes, they do provide 2 markers but I don't think 2 markers could help with this issue if this tip drying out is inherent in every marker.
But you mentioned that in real test you didn't face any tip drying out issues so now I am just curious; What exactly causes this issue in the first place? just so that we know how to avoid it.
Do you have any ideas?

Originally posted by iLucKy on 24 Feb 2020, 10:55.
Last edited by iLucKy on 25 Feb 2020, 06:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Staedtler Marker's tip dries out within 15 seconds when held in hand [#permalink]
globaldesi wrote:
markers that GMAT test centers provide do not dry up so quickly. I think the major problem is their used scratch pad. I found the writing pad very irritating. it was used and black layered

globaldesi:
Are you sure? I spoke with a test center proctor today and he told me that this tip's drying out issue happens even in the real exam. They give this same Staedtler non-permanent marker as well.
Which brand of marker were you given by the test center when you gave your exam?

Originally posted by iLucKy on 24 Feb 2020, 10:59.
Last edited by iLucKy on 25 Feb 2020, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hm... the one I have had for years is not quite as bad. Definitely has had a longer life span.... so not sure why yours have had such short time span... too old perhaps? Dry already?

bb:
My marker is brand new; It was delivered yesterday with a gmat scratch pad. I reached out to the seller regarding this issue but he told me that this issue happens with all the markers.
I think that the older markers don't dry out; probably because of the refill ink that you used?
Do you own a Staedtler Refilling station as well?
Also, I was wondering if we could refill this marker using regular whiteboard marker ink? I would guess that capillary action should work with any ink type? What are your thoughts on this?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3450 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q51 V30
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
iLucKy

Yeah, in exam center it didn't happened with me.
During mocks i would always try to keep the cap closed. Also, important to not keep the tip facing upwards, that dries it out fast.
So, keep the tip facing downwards and keep on rotating the markers in regular intervals, that should solve your issue.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dillesh4096 wrote:
iLucKy

Yeah, in exam center it didn't happened with me.
During mocks i would always try to keep the cap closed. Also, important to not keep the tip facing upwards, that dries it out fast.
So, keep the tip facing downwards and keep on rotating the markers in regular intervals, that should solve your issue.

Dillesh4096:
well, It seems there are two types of markers that the test centers provide: 0.4mm (SuperFine) and 0.6mm(Fine.)
The issue that I am facing is with 0.4mm tip marker; I bought around 30 markers of 0.6mm tip today and I haven't yet faced any issue with any of them.
So I am thinking that I would ask the test center to give me two markers of only 0.6mm. :)
Do you by any chance recall which marker you used in the exam center?
Do they provide both marker types or just one or is it the test center's choice to provide either one?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Re: Staedtler Marker's tip dries out within 15 seconds when held in hand [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
HI iLucKy,

I haven’t heard of this happening. The good news is that the marker at the test center should function reasonably well, so you should not have this issue. That said, I see that you are worried about this happening to you on test day. A good way to avoid any marker issues is to do a thorough test of the provided markers, in front of the proctor, prior to starting your GMAT. If you see that any of your makers are drying up, then just ask for another one prior to starting your GMAT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
HI iLucKy,

I haven’t heard of this happening. The good news is that the marker at the test center should function reasonably well, so you should not have this issue. That said, I see that you are worried about this happening to you on test day. A good way to avoid any marker issues is to do a thorough test of the provided markers, in front of the proctor, prior to starting your GMAT. If you see that any of your makers are drying up, then just ask for another one prior to starting your GMAT.

ScottTargetTestPrep:
Thanks, but I am worried that they might rush me into picking a marker and won't let me thoroughly check the marker; how much time do they give to test markers?
I visited a testing center to ask them questions that could potentially hamper my performance but the testing center people weren't very helpful; they wouldn't answer even simple questions like whether the seat's height is adjustable or not, or whether they give a Staedtler's marker or not, or even how many seats they have in their testing center; I felt like Pearson VUE wants us to not perform well the first time so that we are forced to come a second time--more money for them.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
iLucKy wrote:
ScottTargetTestPrep wrote:
HI iLucKy,

ScottTargetTestPrep:
Thanks, but I am worried that they might rush me into picking a marker and won't let me thoroughly check the marker; how much time do they give to test markers?
I visited a testing center to ask them questions that could potentially hamper my performance but the testing center people weren't very helpful; they wouldn't answer even simple questions like whether the seat's height is adjustable or not, or whether they give a Staedtler's marker or not, or even how many seats they have in their testing center; I felt like Pearson VUE wants us to not perform well the first time so that we are forced to come a second time--more money for them.

I'm sure you can take as much time as you need to properly test the marker.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
The number one method to keep your dry erase markers from completely drying out first is to always store them with the lid on and never leave it in the open air.
GMAT Club Bot