Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619015 [74]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [20]
Given Kudos: 29
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
GRE 1: Q167 V163
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [6]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1989 [2]
Given Kudos: 751
GPA: 3.64
Send PM
Re: The citys public transportation system should be removed from the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is an Inference question. The correct answer choice must be 100% true.

(A) the private firms that would handle public transportation would have experience in the transportation industry - Irrelevant.

(B) political considerations would not prevent private firms from ensuring that revenues cover operating costs - The last sentence of the argument says that 'thereby eliminating the necessity for covering operating costs with government funds'. So, this answer choice can be inferred.

(C) private firms would receive government funding if it were needed to cover operating costs - Not stated in argument.

(D) the public would approve the cost-cutting actions taken by the private firm - May or may not be true.

(E) the municipal government would not be resigned to accumulating merely enough income to cover costs - Not stated in argument.

Answer B.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8810 [6]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The citys public transportation system should be removed from the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
The city’s public transportation system should be removed from the jurisdiction of the municipal government, which finds it politically impossible either to raise fares or to institute cost-saving reductions in service. If public transportation were handled by a private firm, profits would be vigorously pursued, thereby eliminating the necessity for covering operating costs with government funds.

Type - inference

(A) the private firms that would handle public transportation would have experience in the transportation industry - Incorrect - This may be true in real life, but we can't say this with certainity

(B) political considerations would not prevent private firms from ensuring that revenues cover operating costs - Correct - Municipal government failed to profitably operate city’s public transportation because of political considerations, but the argument assumes that private firms would be able to pursue profits. So, we can infer that political consideration would no longer be a factor for private firms.

(C) private firms would receive government funding if it were needed to cover operating costs - Out of scope

(D) the public would approve the cost-cutting actions taken by the private firm - Out of scope - no discussion on public approval of cost-cutting

(E) the municipal government would not be resigned to accumulating merely enough income to cover costs - Irrelvant

Answer B
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 176
Send PM
The citys public transportation system should be removed from the [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:

The city’s public transportation system should be removed from the jurisdiction of the municipal government, which finds it politically impossible either to raise fares or to institute cost-saving reductions in service. If public transportation were handled by a private firm, profits would be vigorously pursued, thereby eliminating the necessity for covering operating costs with government funds.

The statements above best support the conclusion that

(A) the private firms that would handle public transportation would have experience in the transportation industry

(B) political considerations would not prevent private firms from ensuring that revenues cover operating costs

(C) private firms would receive government funding if it were needed to cover operating costs

(D) the public would approve the cost-cutting actions taken by the private firm

(E) the municipal government would not be resigned to accumulating merely enough income to cover costs

Is the highlighted word "politically" in the passage, is a reason to pick B ? because, I don't see anywhere mentioned, that the political considerations are stalling the profits or operating costs­
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
at first , I think choice b make too much inference , then I found the word POLITICALLY in the stimulus
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 180 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Send PM
HI VeritasKarishma GMATNinja
could you please explain this question?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos