Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2101 [28]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [2]
Given Kudos: 49
GMAT 1: 660 Q45 V36
GPA: 3.5
WE:Human Resources (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [4]
Given Kudos: 107
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.27
WE:Operations (Other)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: Virginia Woolf was keenly aware that she had not enjoyed the advantage [#permalink]
I believe it's D. If it is expressed in past perfect that she didn't enjoy the same tense goes for her friends too

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [2]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Re: Virginia Woolf was keenly aware that she had not enjoyed the advantage [#permalink]
Kudos
ARIEN3228 wrote:
Virginia Woolf was keenly aware that she had not enjoyed the advantages of an Oxford or Cambridge education, and was envious of her male contemporaries who did.

Rule: Two independent clauses must be joined using comma+FANBOYS.

The sentence basically describes about a girl who did not enjoy the advantages of an Oxford or Cambridge education and who was envious of her male contemporaries who did. IMO the correct choice should have "male contemporaries who did." because it describes the event that happened in the past.

A) and was envious of her male contemporaries who did -not an IC. subject is missing
B) and she was envious of her male contemporaries who did
C) she was envious of her male contemporaries who had
D) and was envious of her male contemporaries who had- not an IC. subject is missing
E) having envied her male contemporaries who did

You cant join two sentences using a comma. You need to use a semi-colon. That is the problem with B. Hence according to me B is incorrect. As far as you comment on A and D goes parallelism does not require you to repeat the subject.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
ARIEN3228 wrote:
D) and was envious of her male contemporaries who had- not an IC. subject is missing
The subject is there: Virginia Woolf.

Virginia Woolf (a) was aware and (b) was envious...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GRE 1: Q158 V143
Send PM
Usage of had is incorrect as had is used to indicate possession,correct and is b as it follows the rule of FANBOYS
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
vishumangal wrote:
Usage of had is incorrect as had is used to indicate possession,correct and is b as it follows the rule of FANBOYS

Hi Vishnu, had in this sentence, is used as an indicator of past perfect tense and not to indicate possession.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [2]
Given Kudos: 359
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36 (Online)
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
vishumangal wrote:

vishumangal

Please refer to this link in which generis explained almost similar doubt of mine.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/even-though- ... l#p2227768

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [4]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Virginia Woolf was keenly aware that she had not enjoyed the advantages of an Oxford or Cambridge education, and was envious of her male contemporaries who did.

A) and was envious of her male contemporaries who did --> "she had not enjoyed" should be parallel with "who had"
B) and she was envious of her male contemporaries who did --> same as A
C) she was envious of her male contemporaries who had --> conjunction/and is missing
D) and was envious of her male contemporaries who had --> correct
E) having envied her male contemporaries who did--> same as A
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Bookmarks
,and-- should not it take a subject as it starts a new clause???
Hence, B should be correct not D

Can someone plz comment your input.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1600 [1]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
Kudos
In most instances, place a comma between two sentences that are joined with a coordinating conjunction--and, but, or, for, nor, so, yet:

1. She was not sure if she had the necessary mathematical abilities to be an engineer, so she pursued a graduate degree in history.
2. He was surrounded by fifty people, yet he felt all alone.

You do not need to place a comma between two independent clauses if they are short and similar in meaning, provided that no misunderstanding will take place, as illustrated in the following example:

1. Some doctors advertise their services but many doctors find this reprehensible.
2. The absence of the comma in this sentence is acceptable; it is not necessary to prevent misreading.

Other comma resources:

1. Use a Comma After Conjunctive Adverbs and Transitional Phrases at the Beginnings of Sentences
2. Use Commas After Introductory Subordinate Clauses
3. Use Commas Around Nonrestrictive Parenthetical Elements
4. Use Commas Before Nonrestrictive Adverbial Phrases or Clauses at the Ends of Sentences
5. Use Commas to Separate Adjacent Parallel Elements

AjiteshArun :

My concern is the sentence query in blue text.
It says we can join two ICs only by FANBOYS. Can we do this on the GMAT?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
AkshdeepS wrote:
You do not need to place a comma between two independent clauses if they are short and similar in meaning, provided that no misunderstanding will take place, as illustrated in the following example:

My concern is the sentence query in blue text.
It says we can join two ICs only by FANBOYS. Can we do this on the GMAT?
I think we can. Or more accurately, I don't think we have enough evidence to say that we can't :). Because the GMAT does not try to test whether something like [IC + conjunction + IC] needs a comma, anything we use to take a call on that is probably not very reliable. More generally, commas are not tested extensively on the GMAT, so it's really hard to say whether a lot of the advice about commas applies to the GMAT.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
In regard to whether Choice D is a combination of two ICs, please note that it is not. What appears after and is only a predicate. It is perfectly parallel to skip the subject on the second part as the subject of the first clause itself serves as the subject of the second part. This whole sentence is a simple sentence with Virginia as the subject, followed by two predicates in the form of 'was keenly aware' and 'was envious'. Therefore, the comma before ‘and’ is superfluous. Nonetheless, it is at best a punctuation error but not a grammar error. One can keep the comma or just skip it. Even so, no other choice is better than D and hence D is the correct answer, more by chance than by choice.

However, if you do not use a comma before the last item in lists where there are more than two items, then it becomes a grammar error and per se is not acceptable.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Hi daagh sir,
Is it a general norm that we don't have to repeat the subject after a co-ordinating conjunction?
For Eg: He went to a prestigious law school and got placed in a good firm. Here, we don't have to repeat the subject.
Is there any instance where after the co-ordinating conjunctions (FANBOYS), we have to use the subject/pronoun. Thanks in advance sir.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Adi

It is not a general norm. It is only a convenience. You may drop the noun or pronoun after the conjunction only when the subject of the first part can sensibly act as the subject of the second part also or the doer of the action is the doer of the second part also.
Example:
I went to New York and stayed with my brother. This is ok because I only went and stayed. But strictly speaking, this is not joining two ICS. This is just a conjugation of two verbs within a simple sentence.
Look at some examples.
I went to New York but at about the same Trump went to China.
The woods are deep and lovely, but I have to go for I have promises to keep.
There are two IC with actions done by two different agents. Here one requires using a subject for each of the clauses.
Even when the subject can act as the second subject or pronoun; there is no harm in using the second subject.

Example:
Our cook is slow but he is honest.

Take away: There may be exceptions to rules but exceptions are not rules.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Thanks.
Apparently, when we use the sub-ordinating conjunctions, we are actually joining two independent clauses. In these cases, we do repeat the subjects as there won't be any independent clause w/o a subject. Am I Correct?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
ARIEN3228 wrote:

If there is a comma and a conjunction then a subject is required or remove the comma (Manhattan Guide 8 SC - Chapter 10 para 2). Option D doesn't do either of them, B does i.e. add a subject.

Please comment and help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 84
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
AkashNGU wrote:
AjiteshArun wrote:
ARIEN3228 wrote:

If there is a comma and a conjunction then a subject is required or remove the comma (Manhattan Guide 8 SC - Chapter 10 para 2). Option D doesn't do either of them, B does i.e. add a subject.

Please comment and help.

I have the same doubt. If there is a comma and a and I read somewhere that subject needs to be present.

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Virginia Woolf was keenly aware that she had not enjoyed the advantage [#permalink]
Expert Reply
AkashNGU wrote:

Please comment and help.
iamdivs wrote:
I have the same doubt. If there is a comma and a and I read somewhere that subject needs to be present.
Hi AkashNGU and iamdivs,

This comes down to a difference in approach. Some people believe in following a strict set of "comma rules". That's fine, as they are entitled to their opinions. What's important for us (as test takers) is whether the GMAT has taken a position on some of the issues that we're looking at in this thread. It hasn't, and that makes applying these "rules" incredibly risky for test takers aiming for high scores. And although I cannot, without further information, address your question about the Manhattan book directly, I am very sure that at least some of their instructors give their students the same advice that I am giving you.

Try to avoid taking calls on the basis of comma usage, unless you're looking at something like a comma splice.
GMAT Club Bot
Virginia Woolf was keenly aware that she had not enjoyed the advantage [#permalink]
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts