Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:02 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Re: . [#permalink]
Expert Reply
As suspected :-) the GRE is not adaptive in the same way as GMAT. The math sections or meaningfully easier. I would try a GRE diagnostic and see what you can get.You may be surprised. Hopefully pleasantly surprised.

PS. V48 is a wicked crazy good score. If you don’t mind working on your math a bit and getting back into college or high school shape, you can walk away with an amazing GMAT score.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM

Originally posted by SpecterH on 29 Mar 2020, 19:15.
Last edited by SpecterH on 08 Apr 2020, 06:47, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
carcass, Do you know how to calculate the overall GRE score based on the number of correct answers?

Sorry I’m a bit rusty with the GRE. Too much to keep track of in my small brain :-)

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
bb wrote:
carcass, Do you know how to calculate the overall GRE score based on the number of correct answers?

Sorry I’m a bit rusty with the GRE. Too much to keep track of in my small brain :-)

Yeah that would be great! We have no ideas how the scores are based on your performance? It’s section adaptive right?

It’s very confusing lol
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
I will let our resident GRE expert carcass comment on it so I don’t spread misinformation because just like you, I think it is confusing.

I guess this is a choice between improving your math skills or studying vocabulary. Frankly, getting a math up would be a more practical and mature thing to do :-) you can use math and a lot of applications and you will need it during business school and afterwards and you don’t want to be embarrassed in front of you second and third grader kids. This could be a fun challenge.... As long as you don’t hate math. There’s very little you’ll be able to accomplish productively if you hate it. I guess to a large extent you have to work on math for Jerry as well, just not as much.

PS. By the way, my understanding is that having a law degree does give you a slight edge in recruiting. What is your goal for the MBA? Are you trying to get into consulting? Tech? RE?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
I will let our resident GRE expert carcass comment on it so I don’t spread misinformation because just like you, I think it is confusing.

I guess this is a choice between improving your math skills or studying vocabulary. Frankly, getting a math up would be a more practical and mature thing to do :-) you can use math and a lot of applications and you will need it during business school and afterwards and you don’t want to be embarrassed in front of you second and third grader kids. This could be a fun challenge.... As long as you don’t hate math. There’s very little you’ll be able to accomplish productively if you hate it. I guess to a large extent you have to work on math for Jerry as well, just not as much.

PS. By the way, my understanding is that having a live degree does give you a slight edge in recruiting. What is your goal for the MBA? Are you trying to get into consulting? Tech? RE?

I definitely don’t hate math and got high 90s when I took statistics and finite math in first year of my undergrad. I just haven’t really done much since (so I’d have to brush up on algebra, etc). I think it’s learnable, but I’m wondering if the GRE will play on my strengths a bit more. That being said, I agree with you that refreshing my math skills may help in business school as well.

I’d be looking to get out of practicing law and maybe do something in strategy consulting. I have a business undergrad degree, but was hoping an MBA would give me more of an edge.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [1]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
bb wrote:

Here my in-depth analysis of HOW is the GRE scores calculated and HOW you have to analyze it for improvements

https://greprepclub.com/forum/a-gre-sco ... 15097.html

Basically the first section, either quant and verbal, is always in a medium range. The questions are 2.8 to 3.5 level of difficulty.

The GRE test is based on how many right questions you pick; the number, of course, is strictly tightened to the level of difficulty: tougher, the more wrong you could pick. However, per se the difficulty of a question does not count. Count only the NUMBER you pick right.

Then the second section, quant and verbal, will be easy or medium or hard based on the number you got in the first section.

Turns out , it is an easy calculation

Suppose in the first section you have 15 questions correct. The second section will be hard and you get another 15 questions correct.

130+15=145+15= 160 PLUS a bonus of 2 or 3 points, this depends on the algorithm; you will end up with a score of 162 or 163.

Suppose in the first section you have 6 questions correct. The second section will be easy and you get another 8 questions correct.

130+6=136+8=144 MINUS 3 or 4 points of penalty 141 or 140

Remember also that the tougher GRE questions are roughly a 720 GMAT level (in the GRE scale they are labeled as 5, the most difficult level). As such, nailing the GRE exam is not that simple. Moreover, my in-depth analysis of the official software Powerprep PLUS 3, you could buy it on the official ETS store, indicates that the level in the real exam is random.

That means a student could pick a test similar to the powerprep free software OR a test harder. Turns out, the GRE became lately harder. We cannot assess this with laser-focus attention, though.

Hope this helps bb
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi SpecterH,

A 640 is a fantastic initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). When combined with your prior LSAT work, you're likely a really strong critical thinker already - which is good. Many Programs accept both the GMAT and the GRE as part of the application process, so before choosing which Exam to study for, you should put together a list of the Schools that you plan to apply to and confirm that they each accept both Exams.

While the two Exams have a number of aspects in common, you would likely find the GRE to be easier overall (the Quant section is notably easier than the Quant section on the GMAT, but the Verbal section of the GRE places a much greater emphasis on your vocabulary knowledge and knowing when to use certain words instead of others).

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32869 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Top Contributor
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi SpecterH,

A 640 is a fantastic initial CAT score (the average score on the Official GMAT hovers around 550 most years). When combined with your prior LSAT work, you're likely a really strong critical thinker already - which is good. Many Programs accept both the GMAT and the GRE as part of the application process, so before choosing which Exam to study for, you should put together a list of the Schools that you plan to apply to and confirm that they each accept both Exams.

While the two Exams have a number of aspects in common, you would likely find the GRE to be easier overall (the Quant section is notably easier than the Quant section on the GMAT, but the Verbal section of the GRE places a much greater emphasis on your vocabulary knowledge and knowing when to use certain words instead of others).

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on your timeline and your goals:

1) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
2) What Schools are you planning to apply to?
3) Going forward, how many hours do you think you can consistently study each week?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

I could not disagree more :)

Points of view.

Regards
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22047 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi SpecterH,

640 is a great start! Regarding the GRE diagnostic, did you take an official ETS practice exam? If not, perhaps it would be helpful to take one, so you can get an actual quant and verbal score. Would you be able to do so? Lastly, you may find it helpful to read this article:

GMAT or GRE, which one should you take?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
As suspected :-) the GRE is not adaptive in the same way as GMAT. The math sections or meaningfully easier. I would try a GRE diagnostic and see what you can get.You may be surprised. Hopefully pleasantly surprised.

PS. V48 is a wicked crazy good score. If you don’t mind working on your math a bit and getting back into college or high school shape, you can walk away with an amazing GMAT score.

Hi Spector, was a lawyer too with a similar lsat score to you. Got a pretty high gmat score and now finishing up an mba at ross. I agree with BB's PS note. You should stick with the gmat, rely on lsat/legal chops to dominate the verbal section, and practice quant to boost that. Quant is very hackable by learning/memorizing rules (geometry, etc) and then just practicing heavy. If you get your quant score into the 40s, you will have a very high overall score bc of the verbal impact skew.
GMAT Club Bot