Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:39 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1137
Schools: NUS '23
GPA: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [7]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
abhishek31 wrote:
Hi, can you help me understand when does it make more sense to use "as well as" over "and" .I always get confuse over such small issues.

You're not alone! Ajitesh has an excellent post explaining the grammatical difference between the terms: "as well as" functions as a prepositional phrase providing additional information, while "and" is a conjunction that must be used to connect like forms. If you're not sure whether "as well as" is correct, try substituting "in addition to" and see if the sentence still makes sense.

Consider another example to see how the two constructions differ:

"As well as inadvertently setting the house on fire, Tim forgot to pick up his toddler from day care."

Here, "as well as" is part of a modifier. Notice that a "verb-ing" construction is part of this modifier, but we don't have "verb-ing" elsewhere. That's fine. "As well as" doesn't require parallel forms.

However, if we wished to convey a similar idea using "and" we'd have to write something like:

"Tim set the house on fire and forgot to pick-up his toddler from day-care."

Now, because "and" is a conjunction that has to connect things that are in the same grammatical form, we use two verbs, "set" and "forgot."

The takeaway: "as well as" functions as a modifier, but "and" functions as a connector that links parallel items.

I hope that helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Re: Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of [#permalink]
Probably because I'm not native speaker, I think carbon-dioxide gas is redundant, because carbon dioxide is a kind of gas already. For that reason, I eliminated A and B....
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
GengLinxiao wrote:
Probably because I'm not native speaker, I think carbon-dioxide gas is redundant, because carbon dioxide is a kind of gas already. For that reason, I eliminated A and B....
I'm sure there are others here who know much more about this than I do, but isn't dry ice nothing but carbon dioxide?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 969 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/business/it-gets-78-miles-a-gallon-but-us-snubs-diesel.html

The A2 is part of a powerful movement in Western Europe, where gasoline prices are often three times what they are in the United States. Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been implicated in global warming. After being disparaged for years because they were noisy, smelly, smoke-belching and sluggish, a new generation of much cleaner, more nimble diesel-powered cars is suddenly the height of fashion in Europe.

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 163: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Ds burn less fuel than Gs of comparable size (preferable to "that have a comparable size" )

"far less carbon dioxide gas" is correct, not "far fewer carbon dioxide gas". Carbon dioxide gas is uncountable and needs "less", not "fewer". (C) is out.

"far fewer of the other gasses" is correct since other gasses are countable other gasses. But you must mention carbon dioxide first to say something about "other" gases. So (D) and (E) are out.

"other gasses having been implicated" is incorrect. We need to write "other gasses that have been implicated".
"having been implicated" means they were implicated in the past but are not now. That doesn't make sense. The other gasses are still implicated. (B) is out.

(A) is fine. "and" needs parallel elements, but "as well as" does not. Hence "emitting" is not a problem.

That makes much more sense than any of the options that others explained, thank you very much, so when there's a word "Other", Do we have to watch out for a thing that we need this other from?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64882 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Businessconquerer wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
tejal777 wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30% less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have been implicated in global warming.

(A) of comparable size, as well as emitting far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses that have

(B) of comparable size, as well as emit far less carbon dioxide gas and far fewer of the other gasses having

(C) of comparable size, and also they emit far fewer carbon dioxide and other gasses that have

(D) that have a comparable size, and also they emit far fewer of the other gasses having

(E) that have a comparable size, as well as emitting far fewer of the other gasses having

https://www.nytimes.com/2001/05/27/business/it-gets-78-miles-a-gallon-but-us-snubs-diesel.html

The A2 is part of a powerful movement in Western Europe, where gasoline prices are often three times what they are in the United States. Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel than gasoline engines of comparable size, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been implicated in global warming. After being disparaged for years because they were noisy, smelly, smoke-belching and sluggish, a new generation of much cleaner, more nimble diesel-powered cars is suddenly the height of fashion in Europe.

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 163: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS
For All QOTD Questions Click Here

Ds burn less fuel than Gs of comparable size (preferable to "that have a comparable size" )

"far less carbon dioxide gas" is correct, not "far fewer carbon dioxide gas". Carbon dioxide gas is uncountable and needs "less", not "fewer". (C) is out.

"far fewer of the other gasses" is correct since other gasses are countable other gasses. But you must mention carbon dioxide first to say something about "other" gases. So (D) and (E) are out.

"other gasses having been implicated" is incorrect. We need to write "other gasses that have been implicated".
"having been implicated" means they were implicated in the past but are not now. That doesn't make sense. The other gasses are still implicated. (B) is out.

(A) is fine. "and" needs parallel elements, but "as well as" does not. Hence "emitting" is not a problem.

That makes much more sense than any of the options that others explained, thank you very much, so when there's a word "Other", Do we have to watch out for a thing that we need this other from?

Yes, when you talking about a group, "others" will mean some have been already talked about and separated from the group.

He likes Alice but resents my other friends.

He resents my other friends. - Doesn't make a lot of sense. Do we mean to say "He resents all my friends"?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 415 [0]
Given Kudos: 778
Send PM
Does "they" refer to diesel engines because of parallelism around coordinating conjunction "and"?
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35483 [1]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gvij2017 wrote:
Does "they" refer to diesel engines because of parallelism around coordinating conjunction "and"?

Do you refer to (A)?

If so, the only logical antecedent for "they" is "diesel engines."

We know that fact in part from context and meaning, and, I suppose, in part from the sentence structure that you note.

I think context is clear. The sentence begins by noting a way in which diesel engines are better than gasoline engines. Why, logically, would the sentence then claim that a [diesel] engine that uses less gas (than does a gas engine) emit more pollution?

If the parallel verbs in two independent clauses help make that logic clearer, so much the better. :)

Hope that helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
It’s a funny quirk of English: if “as well as” were changed to “and” then we’d want the verbs “burn” and “emit” to be in parallel form. But since we have “as well as”, we’re better off using “emitting”, as we did in (A).

I am getting really confused by this tradition. When “as well as” is changed to "and", should we remove the comma beforehand as well? Otherwise the second part of the sentence will be a fragment since it is not IC? Can parallel work with only two actions? Thank you.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [5]

Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
frankqxq wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
It’s a funny quirk of English: if “as well as” were changed to “and” then we’d want the verbs “burn” and “emit” to be in parallel form. But since we have “as well as”, we’re better off using “emitting”, as we did in (A).

I am getting really confused by this tradition. When “as well as” is changed to "and", should we remove the comma beforehand as well? Otherwise the second part of the sentence will be a fragment since it is not IC? Can parallel work with only two actions? Thank you.

Yes, if we were using "and", we would want a simple parallel list of verbs without a comma (i.e. "Diesel engines burn {...} and emit {...}").

frankqxq wrote:
Can parallel work with only two actions?

Parallelism is not confined to verbs. You can have a parallel list of nouns, adjectives, clauses*, etc. For more on parallelism, check out this video.

*For example, "Neuroscientists are now drawing solid conclusions about (1) how the human brain grows and (2) how babies acquire language."

Again, this is just a weird idiomatic point, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Perhaps an easier example is something like this:

"Artificial grass often looks just as good as natural grass, while costing significantly less to maintain."

Of course we need to use "costing", not "costs" after the "while" because "while" is not a simple parallelism trigger like "and".

It's a similar story with "as well as". But this point is not likely to help you on test day, so please please don't stress over it. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V37
GMAT 4: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
how is use of simple present and present perfect not distorting meaning in option a?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ayushkumar22941 wrote:
how is use of simple present and present perfect not distorting meaning in option a?

Hi Ayush, the sentence is like this:

Peter drives a scooter that has been involved in an accident.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 68
Send PM
Hello, Can anyone please explain why we are not trying to make 'emitting' parallel with 'burn'?
Also, one of the answers read that we'd try to make emit and burn parallel if 'and' was used, but that's not needed with 'as well as'. Could anyone please explain?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
prachiyadav wrote:
Hello, Can anyone please explain why we are not trying to make 'emitting' parallel with 'burn'?
Also, one of the answers read that we'd try to make emit and burn parallel if 'and' was used, but that's not needed with 'as well as'. Could anyone please explain?

Perhaps this post will help?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 413
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
Send PM
GMATNinja I am not sure about the usage of "emitting" in A, wt is it modifying? neither is this parallel to anything in the sentence.

Please help me with this.

Gagan
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V25
GPA: 4
Send PM
generis wrote:
MargotBat wrote:
Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel as gasoline engines with comparable size do, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to be contributing to global warming.
A) as gasoline engines with comparable size do, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to be contributing

B) as gasoline engines of comparable size do, emitting far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which they have determined to contribute

C) than do gasoline engines of comparable size, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined to contribute

D) than do gasoline engines of comparable size, and emitting far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined as contributors

E than gasoline engines whose size is comparable, and they emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases, which have been determined as contributing

Meaning: Compared to gasoline engines of comparable size, diesel engines burn up to 30 percent less gas than gasoline engines burn. In addition, diesel engines emit far less carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases [than gasoline engines of comparable size emit]. These gases have been determined [identified] as contributors to global warming.

• Split #1: less . . . THAN

Correct: Diesel engines burn as much as 30 percent less fuel THAN . . . gasoline engines do.
Options A and B incorrectly say less . . . AS
Eliminate Options A and B

• Split #2: Parallelism

Correct: Diesel engines burn . . . and emit . . .

Option D incorrectly says Diesel engines burn . . . and emitting. . .
Eliminate Option D

• Split #3: Meaning

Three of these options convey the wrong or very unclear meaning.

Option E states: gasoline engines whose size is comparable? Don't let your mind fill in the details.
There's nothing to compare the size to. The size is comparable to what, exactly?
Eliminate E

Option D (already eliminated) says, "gases, which have been determined as contributors." The gases are stubborn or resolute contributors to global warming? No.
(I have been determined to find information about XYZ = I have been stubborn and persistent in my search for information about XYZ.)

Stubborn and resolute are synonyms for determined, a meaning that (D) erroneously suggests and that is different from identified [as].

Option B (already eliminated) says, "they [engines] have determined to contribute." That clause implies that the engines have decided to contribute to global warming.

The answer is C
less . . . than is correct
engines OF comparable size conveys the correct meaning
gases, which have been determined as contributors correctly indicates that the gases have been identified as contributors

OTHER ISSUES
• Phrasing

The correct phrasing is determined to contribute. Options A, D, and E use different and incorrect phrasing.

Finally, Option A says "engines with comparable size." Not correct.
Correct: engines [that are] OF comparable size.
An engine (or any thing) is not with a size.

C is correct. I hope that helps.

Hi generis,

Could you please explain more about difference in between "as contributors" and "to contribute".
And why option "D" is wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]

Send PM
Kudos