Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 22:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 22:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Full-Time MBA: Goizeuta ($$) v Kenan-Flagler ($) v Darden

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Schools: Duke '22 (M$)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.9
WE:Investment Banking (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Re: Full-Time MBA: Goizeuta ($$) v Kenan-Flagler ($) v Darden [#permalink]
Darden

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Full-Time MBA: Goizeuta ($$) v Kenan-Flagler ($) v Darden [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhimahna - any thoughts? Thank you!

Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [3]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey CTom ,

Congratulations for amazing admits. I am a current MBA 2nd year student at Emory. I think Emory makes much more sense here for following reasons:

1. Emory has a very strong financial recruitment process. Finance club puts alot of efforts to help you throughout the recruitment process. In addition, real estate opportunities have also started growing. A couple of my classmates are going to real estate this year.
2. Zero debt. I think it's better to put your whole efforts and mind into recruiting for what you want rather than having a big debt at the back of your head.
3. Emory is also heavily based on case study methods. Infact, our professors are either the CEO of some firms or have worked on MBBs for 15-20 years.

The only disadvantage I can think of for you is you might need to travel to New York every Friday for your networking chats.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72873 [3]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Wow... he is instant! :shocked :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the replies.

For those who believe Darden may be the best option in the scenario, even considering the additional amount of debt that would be taken, could you please elaborate on the trade-offs?

It seems that some have voted for Kenan-Flagler but have not shared any opinion of why they would vote this way. If anyone cares to give their opinion on Kenan-Flagler, as well, it would also be appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I don’t mean to sound rude when I state this but you’re making an investment on your future. One of these schools is light years ahead of the other two in your desired field. What’s 100-150k over the course of the next twenty years of your career?

Emory and Kenan Flagler are fine schools. But Darden is a slight notch ahead

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V53
GRE 1: Q160 V160
Kudos
Hey I am a current 1st year at UNC Kenan-Flagler - congrats on 3 awesome schools! I have to disagree with the poster above in terms of his/her "light-years" comment. Yes, Darden is considered a tier above UNC and Emory but not for your stated goals. Internal strategy options are plentiful at UNC. There are more opportunities for internal strategy in than there are students (I am an example, with almost 12 internal strategy interviews). Also given your backup in real estate, we have one of the best real estate programs and there are a lot of students going into real estate finance especially. The fact that you also want to be in the SE, all these schools will place in NC/ATL very well. Emory is the most regional school out of the 3. If you were a MBB or bust person, then yes i'd say go to Darden 100%, but for internal strategy at F500 or real estate finance with a 1/2 scholarship, UNC is a great deal.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
Send PM
1. Darden
2. Emory
3. Don't even think about UNC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks, woody93 and abhimahna for the detailed responses. The feedback is appreciated!

pd2pmm - Could you elaborate on your comment? I'd be interested to understand your perspective in more detail. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CTom wrote:
Thanks, woody93 and abhimahna for the detailed responses. The feedback is appreciated!

pd2pmm - Could you elaborate on your comment? I'd be interested to understand your perspective in more detail. Thanks!

Emory is a great school if you want to key in on Atl or probably NC or if you just want a job. But Darden opens up much more chance for roles in elite level (Fortune 100). Also, DC is much more robust market than ATL and NC, and Darden will trounce Emory in that locale.

If your top priority is recruitment prospects, Darden takes it up multiple levels from Emory. UNC shouldn't even be considered when you get into a school like Darden, and have a solid Emory with $ as a 2nd.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 108 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V53
GRE 1: Q160 V160
pd2pmm makes it seem like UNC and Emory are in different leagues - that is not true. They are peer schools and will provide you similar experiences, with the exception being that UNC is definitely stronger in your 2nd backup which is Real Estate. They will both have similar (if not the same) recruitment with students being able to go anywhere in the southeast. I don't really understand the poster's hostility towards UNC based on his/her other posts.

That being said, as much as we'd love to have you as a Tar Heel, a full-ride at Emory is really awesome and I think you should take that Emory offer. It is a fantastic school. Of course, the decision in the end is yours! Wishing you the best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
woody93 wrote:
pd2pmm makes it seem like UNC and Emory are in different leagues - that is not true. They are peer schools and will provide you similar experiences, with the exception being that UNC is definitely stronger in your 2nd backup which is Real Estate. They will both have similar (if not the same) recruitment with students being able to go anywhere in the southeast. I don't really understand the poster's hostility towards UNC based on his/her other posts.

That being said, as much as we'd love to have you as a Tar Heel, a full-ride at Emory is really awesome and I think you should take that Emory offer. It is a fantastic school. Of course, the decision in the end is yours! Wishing you the best of luck!

UNC is a fine school, but in this context of (1) admission to a higher ranked school (top12) and (2) full scholarship at a peer school with historically strong career prospects, don't consider UNC. Darden is on another level than both Emory and UNC across the board (prestige, recruiting, etc). Darden has better and broader recruiting than Emory (and UNC) in the first preference for post-MBA industry and a scholarship is nice, but you are gambling against the stronger chance of career prospects. UNC strength over Darden & Emory in the backup industry doesn't move the needle.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Darden for sure provides you more opportunities, including those offered by Emory/UNC. Companies such as Georgia-Pacific, Coca-Cola, UPS etc which recruit from Emory for Internal Strategy roles, also recruit from Darden in potentially better numbers. In addition, Darden opens ALOT of other doors. Many prestigious LDP/Internal strategy programs (such as Danaher, RB etc) have no presence at Emory. In this time of uncertainty, you'd want a better brand and Darden seems to be a no-brainer.

As for plan B around Real Estate, being in Atlanta might be an advantage with Emory but UNC has a pretty famous Real Estate concentration. I am sure Darden is still a winner.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
ssmba2020 wrote:
Darden for sure provides you more opportunities, including those offered by Emory/UNC. Companies such as Georgia-Pacific, Coca-Cola, UPS etc which recruit from Emory for Internal Strategy roles, also recruit from Darden in potentially better numbers. In addition, Darden opens ALOT of other doors. Many prestigious LDP/Internal strategy programs (such as Danaher, RB etc) have no presence at Emory. In this time of uncertainty, you'd want a better brand and Darden seems to be a no-brainer.

As for plan B around Real Estate, being in Atlanta might be an advantage with Emory but UNC has a pretty famous Real Estate concentration. I am sure Darden is still a winner.

The same argument could go another way. In times of uncertainty, you definitely want to lower your debt. You will learn this in MBA class, but why do companies go bankrupt? because they cannot make their interest payment. If you or your parents are not wealthy enough to shed 160k, don't look at the full scholarship lightly. It can drag you for a long time for your next financial goals (buying a house, maxing out 401k/IRA, other things)

If your goal was MBB or consulting in non-Atlanta, I would suggest Darden. However, given that your goal is internal strategy and you're good with Atlanta, I would lean toward Emory. Yes, you might have a little bit less exposure to the prestigious internal strategy programs. Is that worth 160k to you? Only you can answer that.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
ket310 wrote:
ssmba2020 wrote:

The same argument could go another way. In times of uncertainty, you definitely want to lower your debt. You will learn this in MBA class, but why do companies go bankrupt? because they cannot make their interest payment. If you or your parents are not wealthy enough to shed 160k, don't look at the full scholarship lightly. It can drag you for a long time for your next financial goals (buying a house, maxing out 401k/IRA, other things)

If your goal was MBB or consulting in non-Atlanta, I would suggest Darden. However, given that your goal is internal strategy and you're good with Atlanta, I would lean toward Emory. Yes, you might have a little bit less exposure to the prestigious internal strategy programs. Is that worth 160k to you? Only you can answer that.

Yes, I completely agree with ket310 , I don't think Darden is worth $160k. Considering your family being in Atlanta, I think you will save tons of money as well as have a good support system. This will further help you focus on your goals. And after talking to my friends from different business schools in US, it is clear that if you are following the right path and are fully dedicated to your goals, no one can stop you from reaching your goals. Regarding brand name, if it is not M7, it makes a tiny difference. So, clearly Emory is a winner here.

All the best and let us know which one you choose. :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Money is replaceable, time and brand are not. Think of it this way (being a banker you might be able to make sense of it) - you’d want to invest in a blue chip stock or a mid/small cap stock at this time? When there is an upturn, its the top schools who would be better placed to perform well. There is a valid point in terms of how much leverage you’d want and that is your personal decision. Maybe a good time to take debt with low interest rates as well if you have the financial capacity to take it on.

Like I said, Emory provides you nothing which Darden doesn’t in terms of opportunities. Darden, however, provides much more, both in terms of pedagogy and opportunities. Global opportunities, as you mentioned, arent easily available at Emory as well. If you’re sure you’d be content with opportunities at Emory, then ofcourse Emory makes more sense. I’d say talk to current students and alums and figure out which companies recruit for internal strategy roles. Also try negotiating for scholarship with Darden. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
ssmba2020 wrote:
Money is replaceable, time and brand are not. Think of it this way (being a banker you might be able to make sense of it) - you’d want to invest in a blue chip stock or a mid/small cap stock at this time? When there is an upturn, its the top schools who would be better placed to perform well. There is a valid point in terms of how much leverage you’d want and that is your personal decision. Maybe a good time to take debt with low interest rates as well if you have the financial capacity to take it on.

Like I said, Emory provides you nothing which Darden doesn’t in terms of opportunities. Darden, however, provides much more, both in terms of pedagogy and opportunities. Global opportunities, as you mentioned, arent easily available at Emory as well. If you’re sure you’d be content with opportunities at Emory, then of course Emory makes more sense. I’d say talk to current students and alums and figure out which companies recruit for internal strategy roles. Also, try negotiating for scholarship with Darden. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum

True, only you can figure out if leverage is something you want to take or not. My opinion is for someone targeting internal strategy in Atlanta, Darden's definitely not worth 160k more than Emory. That could definitely be different for someone gunning NY/DC MBB/IB. You obviously have a different opinion, which is fair. Everyone has different opinions. OP - just to give you a realistic number, if you take out 160k loan, your loan payment will probably be approximately 2~2.3k/month for the next ten years after you graduate. Your expected income from Darden vs Emory, you can try to do DCF to see if this makes sense for you. Maybe I'm way too debt averse and others are right, that you do MBA only once in your lifetime. Who knows. Only you can make that decision for you. Hope that was helpful.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts