Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Is it wise for an international student to defer or reapply? [#permalink]
PerfumeLove wrote:
I've enrolled at Simon ($60K). I'm interested in Consulting and Product Management. I received admits from Rice ($60K), Owen ($70K) and neither of these two schools has a STEM designation. Simon has good placements, $142K, which is as good any 25 to 30 school. But I'm a little hesitant to join Simon because of the ranking, 35, and because it's a small regional school without a strong alumni base. From what I learned, the situation for international students is better at Simon, among the 3 schools. Being an international student, I prefer a STEM degree. Is it a good idea to reapply in the next R1 admissions cycle with a better GMAT score? I'm targeting the likes of Emory, Kenan Flagler, Tepper because of the STEM designation.

With a recession looming and embassies shut down, there might be a lot of competition next year. Please advise.

bb abhimahna please advise.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GRE 1: Q165 V165
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
What is your profile like?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mainester1990s wrote:
What is your profile like?

4 Years of experience. International student. Currently working as a Business Development Manager at a tech startup. GMAT 690. Above-average extracurricular activities (Toastmasters, Volunteered and headed CSR activities in the company).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Is it wise for an international student to defer or reapply? [#permalink]
Just because you’d have a finance concentration doesn’t mean you can’t do management consulting once you graduate. As a matter of fact, a high percentage of MBA grads I know had a concentration in finance and still went consulting afterwards. Plus, at Owen, you can still have specializations towards a certain career track, such as consulting or tech, even though your concentration is in something else. So while I understand you might not like finance as a concentration, typically having a strong finance skill set plays to ones advantage in the consulting recruitment.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
MBAVet25 wrote:
Just because you’d have a finance concentration doesn’t mean you can’t do management consulting once you graduate. As a matter of fact, a high percentage of MBA grads I know had a concentration in finance and still went consulting afterwards. Plus, at Owen, you can still have specializations towards a certain career track, such as consulting or tech, even though your concentration is in something else. So while I understand you might not like finance as a concentration, typically having a strong finance skill set plays to ones advantage in the consulting recruitment.

Thank you for your reply. I'm trying to understand if the situation might be a bit different for international students when it comes to recruiting for H1B sponsorship? Do you have any idea why Owen has very less % of international students?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
PerfumeLove wrote:
MBAVet25 wrote:

Thank you for your reply. I'm trying to understand if the situation might be a bit different for international students when it comes to recruiting for H1B sponsorship? Do you have any idea why Owen has very less % of international students?

I’m not sure how Consulting is viewed by immigration for post MBA work classification. Aren’t you supposed to work in a STEM related field post MBA to take full advantage of the three years? I would imagine that some consulting jobs are more STEM focused than others but honestly I have no idea. I’m sure someone else on this board knows way more about it than I do.

As far as why Owen has a low international student number, it might be because of its location. While I don’t agree with this perspective, I’d imagine immigrants don’t view southern metropolitan cities as prosperous or advantageous for their careers. Or maybe even as friendly. I definitely don’t think that is true for Nashville though. It’s a booming city right now and a lot of major companies are moving there. Also, there is a growing startup scene that has been moving there over the past few years. Has a very Austin, TX feel to it nowadays.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
While officially deferred seemed like a pretty intriguing option, it is likely not one that schools will be considered lightly and offering as an option to a wide range of admits. I’ve talked to a few people who gave me the following reasons and I tend to agree with them:

1. If programs defer a large portion of the class, that will make the current class potentially pretty small and a potentially different and incomplete experience for the current students which may have an impact on recruiting and other efforts. While there may be positive implications, there are likely to be negative -ones as well.

2. Providing an option to defer to a large number of students, will swell the next year’s class which also is not a good situation. Future spots will be fairly limited and that’s during the time when everyone expects an increase in applications.

I would defer this Conversation until someone actually has an offer to defer. I would not count on it however.

GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts