Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Darden vs McCombs ($$) vs Rice ($$$$)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [3]
Given Kudos: 27
GRE 1: Q161 V155
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Re: Darden vs McCombs ($$) vs Rice ($$$$) [#permalink]
Kudos
First of all, congrats as a fellow veteran. Here are my thoughts:

1. If you are super serious about consulting, I'd give Darden a shot as long as your wife is ok with it. You can definitely recruit for Dallas office from Darden, especially if you have lived in TX (I have few friends who had absolutely no tie to few cities being successful, and if you already have strong ties, more likely). If you look at MBB partners in Dallas office, a lot of them are from HBS (and other M7s). Consulting firms recruit nationally and internationally.

2. Do you not have any GI Bill? I guess you would've told us if you did...

3. I agree that Rice is out, no reason to choose Rice over McCombs. If you are more focused on local recruitment, I'd take McCombs over Darden.

I think it really comes down to do you want to try consulting (think about the lifestyle too) for 2-3 years, then Darden is definitely a better place. However, married with a wife and being with her is also very important. McCombs is not far behind when you factor that in. I think it's really a personal choice with no clear winner here. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
bb wrote:
Congrats on your admits and great to see awesome results!

Did you go to WP? Or you have used up your gov funding for education?
If McCombs allows you to stay local and be with your wife, I would pick Texas and stay there because of you, her, and overall logistics. Jones is only good for energy and similar positions based out of Houston and is not really a contender for your goals. McCombs is a good balance of brand and value as long as you don't mind being in Austin.

Not sure who runs your family or how decisions are made but you definitely want to get your wife's opinion and educate her about all the options but not let her just leave it up to you. You want to make the decision together so that when it is tough, you are in together and there is no snide remarks. You will be very busy and stressed during the school and having her support will be helpful. You will also be changing and becoming a different person through stress, sleep deprivation, (though not tear gas), and education and if you come on breaks she won't recognize you and you will be pretty disconnected though I guess if you have done any tours, you know how it feels and maybe it is OK.

I think McCombs makes the most sense and of course if you can ask for a bit more money, it won't hurt ;-)

bb Thanks for your insight! And that's for starting this amazing forum!

What exactly does WP stand for? And as far as government funding, I still have the GI Bill available to me.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you. I meant West Point - I thought perhaps you have used your GI money on that.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ket310 wrote:
First of all, congrats as a fellow veteran. Here are my thoughts:

1. If you are super serious about consulting, I'd give Darden a shot as long as your wife is ok with it. You can definitely recruit for Dallas office from Darden, especially if you have lived in TX (I have few friends who had absolutely no tie to few cities being successful, and if you already have strong ties, more likely). If you look at MBB partners in Dallas office, a lot of them are from HBS (and other M7s). Consulting firms recruit nationally and internationally.

2. Do you not have any GI Bill? I guess you would've told us if you did...

3. I agree that Rice is out, no reason to choose Rice over McCombs. If you are more focused on local recruitment, I'd take McCombs over Darden.

I think it really comes down to do you want to try consulting (think about the lifestyle too) for 2-3 years, then Darden is definitely a better place. However, married with a wife and being with her is also very important. McCombs is not far behind when you factor that in. I think it's really a personal choice with no clear winner here. Good luck!

ket310 Thank you for your advice and service. :please
As far as the GI Bill, that's what I was referencing when I mentioned my tuition would be covered. I will be using that benefit. Consulting life is definitely a grind! Could be exciting too, though. But given the lifestyle of the profession, that why I am still very open to Corporate Strategy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Thank you. I meant West Point - I thought perhaps you have used your GI money on that.

bb Gotcha. Negativo, I went through ROTC and have 100% GI.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Send PM
Darden vs McCombs ($$) vs Rice ($$$$) [#permalink]
Kudos
I figured I’d give an Update to this thread. I talked to both McCombs and Darden for scholarship reconsideration. McCombs has doubled their scholarship offer. Darden I have not heard back from.

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Congrats on the McCombs offer! If Darden does not budge, so you feel you will lean towards McCombs?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I really like Darden and the interactions I’ve had with current students and alumni but it’d be really hard to justify a difference of ~$80K. Essentially, the question is: is the better ranking (+7), prestige/brand, slightly higher access to MBB, and reported higher avg salaries ($125k v $118k) at Darden worth (or valued at) more than $80k and a relocation.

There’s roughly a $7K delta in the reported average salaries between the two schools from the most recent reports and based on that math, and assuming raises happen linearly, the break-even point of that $80k if I attended Darden would be 11 years.

Interesting enough the 3-yr post MBA salaries that the Financial Times reports for the two schools are:
Darden - $170K
McCombs - $156K
Delta - $14K

But the 5-yr post MBA salaries that Forbes reports are:
Darden - $185K
McCombs - $184K
Delta - $1K

Very different ratios..

Originally posted by twash017 on 12 Apr 2020, 22:42.
Last edited by twash017 on 12 Apr 2020, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
It seems odd esp since Darden has a number of people going into iBanking which traditionally has a high comp... .. my guess is that these may be different samples since it really depends on people answering questions. I wonder what % really does respond to the survey?
My other guess about those numbers may be that while they give an accurate picture of the salary compensation, they miss the magnitude of the bonus, LTI, and stock purchase plans. For example my salary is only $30K higher than the person who reports to me and my boss is likely $30 above my pay level. But on the overall Comp, I make $80K more and my boss likely makes $100K more than I do but it is driven by the higher bonus and LTI %. Also geographically speaking, making $180K in Austin is a lot diff than making $180K in DC or New York.... I am Ok making 14K less in Austin ;-)

P.S. Interesting enough MBB offers the same salary to all incoming MBA's - HBS or McCombs, they would be paid the same.

twash017 wrote:
I really like Darden and the interactions I’ve had with current students and alumni but it’d be really hard to justify a difference of ~$80K. Essentially, the question is: is the better ranking (+7), prestige/brand, slightly higher access to MBB, and reported higher avg salaries ($125k v $118k) at Darden worth (or valued at) more than $80k and a relocation.

There’s roughly a $7K delta in the reported average salaries between the two schools from the most recent reports and based on that math, and assuming raises happen linearly, the break-even point of that $80k if I attended Darden would be 11 years.

Interesting enough the 3-yr post MBA salaries that the Financial Times reports for the two schools are:
Darden - $170K
McCombs - $156K
Delta - $14K

But the 5-yr post MBA salaries that Forbes reports are:
Darden - $185K
McCombs - $184K
Delta - $1K

Very different numbers..

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Send PM
If you have full GI-Bill, Darden is practically free. I guess you don't have 100% or don't have 16 months left? Yeah if your calculated difference is 80K and you are not serious about consulting, take McCombs. I'm married, and being with your spouse is very important, too (I mainly applied to CBS and Stern only, and the others just in case to negotiate scholarships). Unless there is a strong reason you are forgoeing that for a while, I'd side with staying with your wife. Unless you are targeting banking/consulting, the post MBA salary you would get from either program will be practically same (not enough to justify 80K difference). For ex), if you end up at AT&T, they would pay you same whether you went to Darden or McCombs. Same for any other big companies. The only difference is whether the company you want is coming to the campus? Given that you are in Austin/TX, this won't be a drawback anyways.

OH I read your posts very carefully, and it seems your tuition is all covered and the scholarship will be in stipend. MAKE SURE that is the case. I've seen few people who just had to give up scholarship because GI-Bill pays less of scholarship. So, you need to MAKE SURE to the SCHOOL that the scholarship must be in the form of stipend. Otherwise, you will give that scholarship up because the VA would pay less of that scholarship amount. That happened to me... so definitely maek sure. Otherwise, your calculation will be all off and you just get the E-5 BAH of your school location. But, even then, unless you are serious about external consulting (MBB and other strategy consulting), I'd choose McCombs over Darden.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
I'm a little confused by the last two comments. bb you mentioned that MBB offers the same salaries to all MBAs regardless of school....however, ket310, your statement sounds like consulting & IB are the two tracks where salaries do vary base on school.

Could you two elaborate more.

<break>

I will say this, which is interesting, I spoke with a Darden alum who is a Principle at Bain and a part of the recruiting (in Texas). He informed me that Bain considers Darden Tier 1 and McCombs Tier 2. He actually said they had more Darden alums than McCombs alums in his TX office and typically hires more Darden than McCombs students. He flat out told me they hold Darden at a higher level.
On the other hand, I spoke with a Deloitte Manager and he told me that Deloitte considers both schools Tier 1 at they're the biggest consulting hirer at McCombs.

Furthermore, below are internship reports I gathered from students at both schools, which is also insightful (all self-reported).
Darden (TX MBB internships):
McKinsey - 1
BCG - 2
Bain - 2

McCombs (nationally):
McKinsey - 0
BCG - 4
Bain - 2
All other consulting internships - 29

I guess it all depends on how valuable one feels the specific MBB opportunities are..
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
The offers may be one thing but you may also want to look at (by talking to current students of course) how many students at Darden interviewed at MBB vs McCombs.

For consulting, I would have to vote Darden, but at the same time know that lots of Darden folks would interview outside of TX so that's some variation as well.

Re: comp - consulting comps are standard and you will make the same money regardless of which school you go to and which location you are in.

Just FYI, most MBB would pay a $160K base - about $35K sign-on and about 10%-25% in year end bonuses.
Deloitte pays similar and would also reimburse your tuition (or a part of it) if you are an incoming intern for full time.

EY/Accenture may pay a slightly higher base ($170K) but will take some (or many) points off on the sign on bonuses.

LMK if you have any other questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
twash017 wrote:
I'm a little confused by the last two comments. bb you mentioned that MBB offers the same salaries to all MBAs regardless of school....however, ket310, your statement sounds like consulting & IB are the two tracks where salaries do vary base on school.

Could you two elaborate more.

<break>

I will say this, which is interesting, I spoke with a Darden alum who is a Principle at Bain and a part of the recruiting (in Texas). He informed me that Bain considers Darden Tier 1 and McCombs Tier 2. He actually said they had more Darden alums than McCombs alums in his TX office and typically hires more Darden than McCombs students. He flat out told me they hold Darden at a higher level.
On the other hand, I spoke with a Deloitte Manager and he told me that Deloitte considers both schools Tier 1 at they're the biggest consulting hirer at McCombs.

Furthermore, below are internship reports I gathered from students at both schools, which is also insightful (all self-reported).
Darden (TX MBB internships):
McKinsey - 1
BCG - 2
Bain - 2

McCombs (nationally):
McKinsey - 0
BCG - 4
Bain - 2
All other consulting internships - 29

I guess it all depends on how valuable one feels the specific MBB opportunities are..

As far as I know, consulting salaries are standardized (unless you have prior experience and can negotiate). I didn't give any hint that the salary would differ by school. If you interpreted that way, sorry. The chance of getting an interview would definitely be higher at Darden for any consulting. However, once you go to 1st Round interview, your school doesn't matter all that much. It's reall YOU at that point. However, you probably will have more interviews to start with at Darden than McCombs. That's really why many people argue for higher ranked school despite the big cost (not for you though, but in most cases)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts