Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [0]
Given Kudos: 570
Farrell Nelson: MBA
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: CBS '22 (A)
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V36
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V41
GMAT 3: 720 Q49 V40
GMAT 4: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 137 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)! [#permalink]
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
No, frankly. However, do you need an internship? If not, maybe go for January term, application opens in June. HarryPotter112

HarryPotter112 wrote:
I have the same question as 770GMAT - is there a chance for acceptance this late in the cycle for an Indian Female applicant ?

Posted from my mobile device

Thank you for your response MBAPrepCoach. A number of universities have moved their deadline. I am just wondering why they would do so if the chances of acceptance aren't great/ they already have filled their class? Is it a contingency plan sort of situation or does it have something to do with statistics of number of applicants?

Thank you.
Send PM
Re: Calling all Columbia MBA Applicants: 2020 Intake (Class of 2022)! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Colombia is quite special in that like almost the bulk of the people that go there apply in EA. your odds are significantly better the earlier you apply for Columbia specifically. This is not *as much* the case for many other schools quite as much but overall, round three definitely has fewer applicants, higher standards, requires much more diversity.

However you have an amazing GMAT; there is an offhand chance they will want to top off their class average GMAT score and that will come in handy for them but it's a risky move; I would not recommend playing your hand as an Indian this late in the cycle.

They do not offer merit awards at CBS after Jan 5th; given your GMAT I think you could get a scholarship.

Regarding your question, a lot of schools are postponing things because ppl have not been able to do their tests or had time to work on applications, I believe.

I see you will be going for J-term and that's what I would recommend if you are dead set on CBS this year and dont need an internship (however, no merit awards for J-term)

770GMAT

770GMAT wrote:
MBAPrepCoach wrote:
No, frankly. However, do you need an internship? If not, maybe go for January term, application opens in June. HarryPotter112

HarryPotter112 wrote:
I have the same question as 770GMAT - is there a chance for acceptance this late in the cycle for an Indian Female applicant ?

Thank you for your response MBAPrepCoach. A number of universities have moved their deadline. I am just wondering why they would do so if the chances of acceptance aren't great/ they already have filled their class? Is it a contingency plan sort of situation or does it have something to do with statistics of number of applicants?

Thank you.

Originally posted by MBAPrepCoach on 25 Mar 2020, 11:49.
Last edited by MBAPrepCoach on 25 Mar 2020, 21:25, edited 2 times in total.
Fortuna Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Fortuna Admissions
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
770GMAT wrote:
Is there a chance of acceptance for an Indian candidate this late in the cycle?

This is a great question, as applicants are noticing the extended deadline, and wondering if it means there is suddenly actually space in the class (despite that CBS has signaled that the class was quite full by about January).

We are seeing a pattern across most top programs, that they are trying to cover their bases to ensure they will have a full class next year, in light of current events. There is nervousness that things could continue and visas will not be able to be processed on time, meaning that some internationals might have to defer their enrollment (HBS published a statement on this recently). Some programs seem to be, as my colleague Judith would say, "fattening up their waitlists," taking more applicants on the waitlist than they typically would, in order to have a substantial supply of strong candidates.

Right now, I believe they are looking for a) particularly standout candidates and b) US citizens. Even if you fall into these categories, success could really depend on how things pan out with the pandemic. So, long story short, your chances are really out of your control at this point in time, and will be very much in your control if you hold off and apply ED next cycle, and really give yourself sufficient time to craft a great story.

There is a lot of helpful info on the webinar we did yesterday, which is available here. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jp_brkY ... e=youtu.be
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
WestCoast7 wrote:
CBS extended its full-time application deadline to June 1st just FYI

Are people even applying this late? June is a long time away! Does it mean they actually have enough spots?
And normally are applications even submitted this time of the year?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
RheaM123 wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

Are people even applying this late? June is a long time away! Does it mean they actually have enough spots?

I think it signals that Columbia has no idea how the pandemic will influence visas and enrollment, so they are looking to bulk up reserves that they may have not built in their rd1 and rd2. Disaster planning, nothing more. They probably are not going to admit any more in rd3 than they would in previous years but are more likely to interview / keep on waitlist. Separate, but possibly related datapoint is that Columbia Law School created a reserve list, a tier below their waitlist, so as a university they're being vigilant in planning for unexpected yield.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Agree with this - "fat waitlist" strategy

hwbcn12345 wrote:
RheaM123 wrote:
WestCoast7 wrote:

I think it signals that Columbia has no idea how the pandemic will influence visas and enrollment, so they are looking to bulk up reserves that they may have not built in their rd1 and rd2. Disaster planning, nothing more. They probably are not going to admit any more in rd3 than they would in previous years but are more likely to interview / keep on waitlist. Separate, but possibly related datapoint is that Columbia Law School created a reserve list, a tier below their waitlist, so as a university they're being vigilant in planning for unexpected yield.
Send PM
Expert Reply
I have changed my answer on this - however, I still don't think Indians could get in there with a GMAT less than the class average; even being female.
770GMAT wrote:
Is there a chance of acceptance for an Indian candidate this late in the cycle?

Originally posted by MBAPrepCoach on 30 Mar 2020, 21:16.
Last edited by MBAPrepCoach on 30 Mar 2020, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 1424 [1]
Send PM