Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: MIT Sloan MBA Admissions & Related Blogs [#permalink]
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: A traditional economic stimulus won’t work. Here’s what might. – Daniel Greenwald
From Medium As the Covid-19 pandemic brings the U.S. economy to a standstill, a severe drop in consumer demand is putting vast numbers of businesses at risk of bankruptcy, and millions of employees at risk of losing their jobs. With the U.S. government preparing to spend up to $2 trillion to help workers and shore up businesses, a key question remains: Which interventions will be most effective? Unfortunately, traditional stimulus measures are unlikely to solve this problem alone. Such measures, including interest rate cuts by the Federal Reserve, or stimulus checks mailed to U.S. households by the Treasury, seek to fight a drop in demand by encouraging households to spend more. But while a traditional stimulus package might work in a normal recession, it is poorly suited to the current environment for two reasons. First, given the risk of infection, consumers may rationally be extremely averse to certain types of activities, such as … Read More »

The post A traditional economic stimulus won’t work. Here’s what might. – Daniel Greenwald appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: Executing strategy: The class you wish your boss could take
The post Executing strategy: The class you wish your boss could take appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Prescribing healthy food to treat diabetes is a promising idea whose time has come – John Bulger, Joseph Doyle, Allison Hess, and Michelle Passaretti
Nearly one out of every five dollars spent in the US goes to healthcare, often to treat health problems after they have escalated. There is a growing trend to shift resources toward prevention in order to improve health and save on healthcare costs. For example, healthcare systems and payers are just starting to address economic and societal causes of disease often called, “social determinants of health.” These include nutrition, housing stability, and transportation. Starting next year Medicare Advantage plans will be allowed to pay for social-determinants interventions. For instance, Type 2 diabetes is a largely preventable chronic disease related to poor diet: too much saturated fat, cholesterol, added sugars, sodium, and refined grains, and too few fresh fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. 13% of American adults have the disease and over a third are on their way with prediabetes. Each year, it accounts for 300,000 premature deaths and over $237 billion in … Read More »

The post Prescribing healthy food to treat diabetes is a promising idea whose time has come – John Bulger, Joseph Doyle, Allison Hess, and Michelle Passaretti appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: How Laurel Taylor, ’15, is “crushing” student debt as founder of FutureFuel.io
The post How Laurel Taylor, ’15, is “crushing” student debt as founder of FutureFuel.io appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Pandemic-onomics: lessons from the Spanish Flu – Emil Verner
From NPR’s Planet Money There’s a big debate going on in the U.S. and around the world about the extent to which cities, states and countries should shut down in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, or tough it out. A question foremost in people’s minds: What’s worse for the economy? The Spanish Flu outbreak of 1918 offers some pointers. Here in the U.S., different cities reacted in radically different ways, with some shutting down completely, and others staying open for business throughout. And with the advantage of hindsight, we can see what the long-term effects on those individual economies were. Today we talk with Emil Verner, an assistant professor of finance at the MIT Sloan School of Management. He’s the co-author, along with Sergio Correia and Stefan Luck, of a new working paper that looks at the economic effects of social distancing measures on American cities during the 1918 Spanish Flu … Read More »

The post Pandemic-onomics: lessons from the Spanish Flu – Emil Verner appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Baystate Business: Coronavirus Tools – Simon Johnson
From Bloomberg’s Baystate Business Radio Bloomberg Baystate Business for Thursday, March 26th, 2020. Professor Simon Johnson discusses tools and recommendations to prevent the collapse of the health care system during coronavirus (16:05). Hosts: Tom Moroney, Joe Shortsleeve, and Kim Carrigan Producer: Dan Pierce Listen at Bloomberg’s Baystate Business Radio. Simon Johnson is the Ronald A. Kurtz (1954) Professor of Entrepreneurship at the MIT Sloan School of Management, where he is also head of the Global Economics and Management group and chair of the Sloan Fellows MBA Program Committee.  

The post Baystate Business: Coronavirus Tools – Simon Johnson appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: COVID-19 conversations: how to make a difference when the stakes are high – Jason Jay and Gabriel Grant
From Psychology Today You’re angry. You’ve just taken your one weekly outing to the grocery store when you open Facebook and see a picture of your 70-year-old diabetic mother playing cards with her friends. Your first instinct? Pick up the phone and confront, shame, yell. This probably won’t work to change her behavior… At least it didn’t the last few times you tried! But we may be headed for periods of going back and forth between freedom and isolation for months to come in order to flatten the curve. Here’s the good news: If we approach these conversations in an authentic and compassionate way, we can strengthen our relationships, reinforce new norms we need to fight the pandemic, and maybe even invent new solutions useful long after this crisis is over. Read the full post at Psychology Today. Jason Jay is a Senior Lecturer at the MIT Sloan School of Management and … Read More »

The post COVID-19 conversations: how to make a difference when the stakes are high – Jason Jay and Gabriel Grant appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: Public health interventions in the COVID-19 pandemic can help the economy recover – Emil Verner
From the Boston Globe In the COVID-19 pandemic, policy makers are debating the impact of public health responses on the economy. They are struggling to find a balance between flattening the curve with public health interventions and protecting the health of the economy. However, historical data show that this isn’t a choice between saving lives and saving the economy. Interventions benefit both public and economic health. This may seem counterintuitive. After all, things like social distancing and business closures are generally bad for the economy. This leads to questions like, “Is the cure worse than the disease?” No, it isn’t. There is no trade-off because this is not a normal economic time. Pandemic economics are different from normal economics. The pandemic has a negative and severe effect on the economy because people are afraid of contracting the virus. They go out less, consume less, and invest less. Anything we can do to mitigate the … Read More »

The post Public health interventions in the COVID-19 pandemic can help the economy recover – Emil Verner appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: The paths to net zero – Valerie J. Karplus, Inês Azevedo, Michael R. Davidson, Jesse D. Jenkins, and David G. Victor
From Foreign Affairs For 30 years, diplomats and policymakers have called for decisive action on climate change—and for 30 years, the climate crisis has grown worse. There are a multitude of reasons for this failure. The benefits of climate action lie mostly in the future, they are diffuse and hard to pin down, and they will accrue above all to poor populations that do not have much of a voice in politics, whether in those countries that emit most of the world’s warming pollution or at the global level. The costs of climate action, on the other hand, are evident here and now, and they fall on well-organized interest groups with real political power. In a multipolar world without a responsible hegemon, any collective effort is difficult to organize. And the profound uncertainty about what lies ahead makes it hard to move decisively. These political hurdles are formidable. The good news is that technological progress … Read More »

The post The paths to net zero – Valerie J. Karplus, Inês Azevedo, Michael R. Davidson, Jesse D. Jenkins, and David G. Victor appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: How the MIT EMBA is helping this alumna grow her nonprofit to make Boston a better place to live
The post How the MIT EMBA is helping this alumna grow her nonprofit to make Boston a better place to live appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Executive Insights Blog: Learning a better way to make decisions
The post Learning a better way to make decisions appeared first on MIT Executive MBA.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: A new superpower in the making: awareness-based collective action – Otto Scharmer
From Medium Three weeks ago, I posted some reflections on what we are learning from corona and climate action. Given that post’s wide circulation (150K+ views), I wanted to share a quick update. The concluding idea of the post — to launch an impromptu, global infrastructure for leaning into our current moment of disruption and letting this moment move us toward civilizational renewal — has quickly taken shape. GAIA — Global Activation of Intention and Action — was implemented only twelve days after a small core team first came up with the idea. Within twelve days, 10,000+ had signed up for this free, four-month, online journey, and a global team of 100+ volunteers had begun co-creating, in five different languages, a suite of deep learning events for participants around the world. On March 27, we launched GAIA with a day-long series of events, including framing inputs, deep listening practices, small breakout groups, intentional stillness, … Read More »

The post A new superpower in the making: awareness-based collective action – Otto Scharmer appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: How to reopen the U.S. economy and keep workers safe without ‘Big Brother’ watching us – Alex `Sandy’ Pentland
From MarketWatch The economic devastation caused by the COVID-19 pandemic has been swift. U.S. retail sales have collapsed, and industrial production has fallen precipitously. But even as the government remains focused on containing the virus and caring for the sick, policymakers and business leaders are starting to reopen the economy. As they wrestle with how to bring back workers safely, key questions have emerged around how best to confirm that employees are healthy and able to work, while also protecting their workers’ personal privacy. Public health officials say that collecting personal health data may be only to track the virus to understand who is immune from it and who is most at risk. But privacy advocates have raised concerns about how that data will be used and by whom, as well as how and where it’s stored. One promising solution is the idea of creating personal digital identities. Sophisticated digital tools — similar … Read More »

The post How to reopen the U.S. economy and keep workers safe without ‘Big Brother’ watching us – Alex `Sandy’ Pentland appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: AI’s Communication Upsides – Zoran Latinovic and Sharmila C. Chatterjee
From MIT Sloan Management Review Artificial intelligence has a bad rap. Facial recognition algorithms — like those used by law enforcement agencies around the country — encourage racism. Digital assistants, such as Siri and Alexa, make children ruder. Predictive algorithms, like those employed by Facebook, narrow our perspectives. Meanwhile, language translators, including Google Translate, are said to hinder meaningful emotional connection. But for all the talk about the harmful impact of AI, there’s also plenty of evidence that it is having a positive impact on our ability to communicate. Across industries, companies are creating tools that use AI and machine learning in combination with other smart technologies to enhance and expedite our social interactions, improve our capacity to learn, and help us build deeper, more meaningful human relationships. Consider, for instance, the old-fashioned nurse call button. In most hospitals, bedridden patients press a button when they need assistance that sends a signal to the … Read More »

The post AI’s Communication Upsides – Zoran Latinovic and Sharmila C. Chatterjee appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM LGO Students Blog: Nicole Oliver, LGO
‘20Engineering
Department: BioengineeringUndergrad: Northwestern
University,...
Nicole Oliver, LGO
‘20

Engineering
Department:
Bioengineering
Undergrad: Northwestern
University, Biomedical Engineering
Before LGO:
Accenture

What were you doing
before LGO?
Before MIT, I was working at Accenture as a Technology Consultant.
I primarily worked with large pharmaceutical clients, focusing on implementing
technologies across their commercial practices.

Why did you decide on
LGO?
Post-graduate school, I wanted to pivot into biotech, working on the
development and production of drugs that help improve people’s lives. The LGO
program was uniquely positioned to helping me achieve my professional
aspirations because of its focus on the intersection of business and
engineering. Last semester, I had a class on the economics of healthcare in the
morning and a class on protein engineering in the afternoon. This combination
of courses, which is only possible through the LGO program, will prepare me to
solve not only scientific challenges but also consider the broader business implications
of day-to-day tasks.

What are you looking
forward to doing while at MIT?
I am now finishing my final semester at MIT.
The experience has far surpassed my expectations – which were high to start! I
was looking forward to meeting the diverse student population across LGO,
Sloan, and the engineering school. I am continuously amazed by this community –
my classmates are incredibly intelligent, curious, and passionate. More
importantly, they are encouraging and supportive, which enhances the overall experience
at MIT.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: When will sports fully resume? The answer is obvious. – Gad Yair
From Sports Business Daily Tom Brady may never play again in front of fans. The same for LeBron James, too. Games are halted, leagues are suspended, and mega sporting events are postponed. Will the Tokyo Olympics happen next summer? Will the Boston Marathon be run this September? It’s looking less and less likely by the day. FIFA? It remains a great video game. Recently, a minister in the British government suggested footballers there ought to take a pay cut for the season. Italian players agreed to one. In reality, the players should be offered a retirement plan. The rapid spread of the deadly coronavirus, which has upended nearly every aspect of our lives, has decimated both the global sports calendar and players’ careers for the foreseeable future. Models indicate that the world of sports as we know it may be over — at least until a vaccine is found. The timeframe for finding a remedy … Read More »

The post When will sports fully resume? The answer is obvious. – Gad Yair appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
FROM Sloan Experts Blog: MIT Sloan Experts is moving
All good things must come to an end, but there are even better things to come. Our blog is on the move. Head over to the MIT Sloan press page where you’ll be able to find our same MIT Sloan Experts content in the form of blog posts, press releases, media highlights, and more. Don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and LinkedIn where we’ll be bringing timely commentary from MIT Sloan Experts along with news and current events of interest to today’s global business leaders.

The post MIT Sloan Experts is moving appeared first on MIT Sloan Experts.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts