Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:51 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [0]
Given Kudos: 500
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Re: Wiley Efficient Learning: Timer Issues? [#permalink]
Hi MentorTutoring

I am facing the same issue for quite some time now. I reached out to them today, hoping they will help sort it out.

Was wondering if you heard back from the Wiley Team on this?
Volunteer Expert
Expert Reply
Argp wrote:
Hi MentorTutoring

I am facing the same issue for quite some time now. I reached out to them today, hoping they will help sort it out.

Was wondering if you heard back from the Wiley Team on this?

Hello, Argp. I wish I had heard back from Wiley. I would follow up on my original post. But alas, silence, and it appears as if this April Fools' joke is on us. Until the issue is resolved, if you want to get any sort of meaningful information about timing per question from your practice sets, I would recommend you use the stopwatch mode on your phone or some other device. This is annoying, but there is no reason you cannot be productive in your studies using the Wiley platform, all the same.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
Wiley Efficient Learning: Timer Issues? [#permalink]
(I am trying to use their study mode, but I am left confused: You can set how many questions you want to practice in each set and even what type of questions and which difficulty level which is great to practice strategies specific to question types. For example, I am using it try the reading comprehension strategy by Rhyme to increase my speed https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-destroy-reading-comprehension-passages-by-rhyme-30247.html#p205035. However, after each question the site tells you whether you got the question right or not and gives you an explanation. This is very nice; however, the timer continues and therefore I am left between choosing whether I want to review the questions or continue with an accurate time.)

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the timer stop automatically after answering a question in order to review the explanation or whether it is possible to view the explanation afterwards?

EDIT (I should have first tried the program before expressing my confusion): For anyone who is focused on time, I would suggest to continue with the questions and not looking at the review/feedback which appears after answering each questions as the time continues counting. Luckily, after ending the session there is a review screen inwhich you can review the explantion again WITHOUT altering the time.

Originally posted by GMATE1 on 26 Jan 2021, 03:46.
Last edited by GMATE1 on 26 Jan 2021, 04:56, edited 1 time in total.
Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
GMATE1 wrote:
I am trying to use their study mode, but I am left confused: You can set how many questions you want to practice in each set and even what type of questions and which difficulty level which is great to practice strategies specific to question types. For example, I am using it try the reading comprehension strategy by Rhyme to increase my speed https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-destroy-reading-comprehension-passages-by-rhyme-30247.html#p205035. However, after each question the site tells you whether you got the question right or not and gives you an explanation. This is very nice; however, the timer continues and therefore I am left between choosing whether I want to review the questions or continue with an accurate time.

Does anyone know if it is possible to have the timer stop automatically after answering a question in order to review the explanation or whether it is possible to view the explanation afterwards?

Hello, GMATE1. I dislike Study Mode for the same reason—it is jarring to see the correct answer on the spot, knowing you have to keep going through other questions. For this reason, I always use Exam Mode instead (as often as I remember to switch at the beginning), and I recommend my students do the same. It is not as if the exam itself will tell you right away whether you have missed a question or gotten it right. Also, word to the wise, practice RC sets independently of the other Verbal question types, or you can expect to see not-so-mixed sets of almost all RC questions... again, not an accurate simulation of the test. (I once practiced a "mixed" set of 20 questions, and the first 18 were all RC. Talk about exhausting.)

In Verbal review, you want to really spend time understanding what makes the wrong answers incorrect. Too many students focus on the correct answer only, and then they continue studying and making the same mistakes. If the official explanations seem somewhat lacking, then look up the same questions in the forum, where you will find top-notch responses by Experts and other community members.

Good luck with your preparation.

- Andrew
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
AndrewN wrote:
GMATE1 wrote:
I am trying to use their study mode, but I am left confused: You can set how many questions you want to practice in each set and even what type of questions and which difficulty level which is great to practice strategies specific to question types. For example, I am using it try the reading comprehension strategy by Rhyme to increase my speed https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-destroy-reading-comprehension-passages-by-rhyme-30247.html#p205035. However, after each question the site tells you whether you got the question right or not and gives you an explanation. This is very nice; however, the timer continues and therefore I am left between choosing whether I want to review the questions or continue with an accurate time.

Hello, GMATE1. I dislike Study Mode for the same reason—it is jarring to see the correct answer on the spot, knowing you have to keep going through other questions. For this reason, I always use Exam Mode instead (as often as I remember to switch at the beginning), and I recommend my students do the same. It is not as if the exam itself will tell you right away whether you have missed a question or gotten it right. Also, word to the wise, practice RC sets independently of the other Verbal question types, or you can expect to see not-so-mixed sets of almost all RC questions... again, not an accurate simulation of the test. (I once practiced a "mixed" set of 20 questions, and the first 18 were all RC. Talk about exhausting.)

In Verbal review, you want to really spend time understanding what makes the wrong answers incorrect. Too many students focus on the correct answer only, and then they continue studying and making the same mistakes. If the official explanations seem somewhat lacking, then look up the same questions in the forum, where you will find top-notch responses by Experts and other community members.

Good luck with your preparation.

- Andrew

Thank you AndrewN that is great advice 100 Kudos to you :thumbsup:
GMAT Club Bot