Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [21]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Tuck '23 (II)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [8]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1920 [1]
Given Kudos: 628
Concentration: Marketing, Leadership
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1022 [4]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Re: Are Manhattan GMAT Practice tests that much harder? [#permalink]
Kudos
As BB rightly said, Manhattan mock tests - especially quant section, are harder compared to Official test. You better to not focus on such score difference rather focus on weak areas. You can consider such test to improve your pacing & stamina.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi esm8193,

The scoring algorithm on the Official GMAT is far more complicated than most people realize. Since that algorithm is proprietary, no GMAT company has an exact match for it, thus CAT scores can vary a bit based on the 'biases' involved in their respective designs. The most realistic CATs available are the 6 from GMAC, but the CATs from Kaplan, MGMAT and Veritas are all 'close enough' to the real thing that they will provide you with a relatively realistic score assessment (assuming that you correctly take the CAT in a realistic fashion). The MGMAT CATs are generally regarded as being a little tougher than the real thing, but a 130 point difference seems dubious, so we'll have to consider more than just the "brand" of practice CAT that you're taking.

You listed 2 Official CAT results - did you take either of those CATs before? I ask because retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a realistic way to assess your skills - since you will likely see some 'repeat' questions that you have already faced. Unfortunately, seeing even a couple of repeats can 'throw off' the Scoring Algorithm and impact your pacing, energy levels, fatigue, etc. (meaning that they would likely all appear to be better than they actually are).

Before I can offer you any additional advice for your studies, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey Rich!

To answer your first question, the two official CATs were distinct, no repeats.

Studies:
1) How long have you studied? How many hours do you typically study each week?
- I started studying in December, and dedicate about 10 hours a week.

2) What study materials have you used so far?
I completed a Manhattan in person course, including all the assigned coursework. I completed all quant and sentence correction questions in the OG2020.

3) On what dates did you take EACH of your CATs/mocks
December
Early February
End of February
Early March
1 week ago
Yesterday

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score? 730
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT? ASAP! I was scheduled for early April but it was cancelled due to COVID19.
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School and what Schools are you planning to apply to? Not certain yet, but open to any Top20 schools.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi esm8193,

I've sent you a PM with some additional questions.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2103 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Kudos
esm8193 wrote:
I have the following practice test scores:

Cat 1 - Q37, V33 (Manhattan) - 580
Cat 2 - Q40, V35 (Manhattan) - 620
Cat 3- Q39, V36 - (Manhattan) - 620
Cat 4 (Official Practice) - Q45, V44 - 720
Last weekend - Q41, V34 (Manhattan) - 620
Today (Official Practice) - Q44, V47 - 750

Has anyone had a similar experience with Manhattan Prep? I'm not understanding the score differences. Could something in the wording of their questions just not be clicking with me?

In other forums I have read, people see a jump from Manhattan Prep to Official GMAT practice, but a 130 point jump?

Your performance is much better in the official practice exam and you should use these scores in deciding on your future strategy.

Manhattan practice exams should be used only for practice not for framing opinions about your preparation level.

All the best!
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 1541 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
GMAT 1: 790 Q51 V49
Send PM
Expert Reply
esm8193 wrote:
I have the following practice test scores:

Cat 1 - Q37, V33 (Manhattan) - 580
Cat 2 - Q40, V35 (Manhattan) - 620
Cat 3- Q39, V36 - (Manhattan) - 620
Cat 4 (Official Practice) - Q45, V44 - 720
Last weekend - Q41, V34 (Manhattan) - 620
Today (Official Practice) - Q44, V47 - 750

Has anyone had a similar experience with Manhattan Prep? I'm not understanding the score differences. Could something in the wording of their questions just not be clicking with me?

In other forums I have read, people see a jump from Manhattan Prep to Official GMAT practice, but a 130 point jump?

Yes, the MPrep tests tend to be a little harder on Quant (although that isn't the case for everyone who takes them - I've seen many people get very similar official scores to their MPrep scores.) That said, I've also heard anecdotally that the GMATPrep official practice tests are a bit easier in Quant than the real thing. Assuming that you're doing the practice tests exactly how you'll do the real thing, and there are zero external factors that might affect your score either way, the truth is probably somewhere in between your two scores.

That said, because practice tests are invariably somewhat different from the official test no matter how hard you try and how good the test algorithm is... you should use them to tell you in a general sense whether you're in the right range, not predict exactly what your score will be. So, for example, if your Quant goal score was 40, I'd say that you should be moderately confident about hitting 40 or higher on your official test, since you're obviously in the right range! But if your Quant goal was 50, these tests would be a sign that you should continue working.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22050 [1]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Are Manhattan GMAT Practice tests that much harder? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi esm8193

You ask a great question. Certainly, when you take practice tests from companies other than GMAC, you may find some variation in algorithms used and thus variations in your score. So, honestly, the fact that you scored 720 and 750 on your official GMAC practice exams is a really good sign! Also, based on the score breakdowns of those practice exams, it's clear that quant is more of a weakness than verbal. So, if you need any advice on how to improve your quant skills, feel free to reach out.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 231
GPA: 4
Send PM
esm8193 have you already taken the real GMAT?
I'm very curious about your score, because I had a similar experience with a MGMAT CAT today (my first one from MGMAT, scored 590, Q42, V31).

My goal is 650 and I will take the real deal in about 4 weeks.

Thanks in advance!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
ArneNie wrote:
[b]esm8193[/b Have you already taken the real GMAT?
I'm very curious about your score, because I had a similar experience with a MGMAT CAT today (my first one from MGMAT, scored 590, Q42, V31).

Thanks in advance!

I scored a 710, my experience is MGMAT's are WAY harder and practice CATs are a little easier.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Send PM
Are Manhattan GMAT Practice tests that much harder? [#permalink]
esm8193 wrote:
ArneNie wrote:
esm8193[/b Have you already taken the real GMAT?

Thanks in advance!

I scored a 710, my experience is MGMAT's are WAY harder and practice CATs are a little easier.

Congratulations on your score!

I am in the same position as you guys were, and I think MGMAT kind of disturbed my confidence.
Can you tell me when did you take the official test? I’m interested in knowing if you worked harder after your mock tests’ scores for a couple of weeks or you took the test just after. What was your last CAT score before the official exam and how far was it from the exam?

Thank you in advance :)

[b]Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 231
GPA: 4
Send PM