Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:30 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [4]
Given Kudos: 68
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q51 V40
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [6]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 259 [2]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers, is (x+2)^(y+2)+x^y(y−2)^(x+2) even [#permalink]
Kudos
If x and y are positive integers, is \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} \) even?

(1) \(5x+8x^2+12x^3+9\) is odd.
    (2) \(3y+(11+y)+35(3y+2) \) is even.

i) if \(5x+8x^2+12x^3+9\) = odd

9 = odd; 12*Term = even; 8*Term = even => O+E+E+unknown = odd => O+Unknown = odd => Unknown = even

Unknown = 5x = even => x = even

If x is even => \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} \) => \(Even^{anything}\) + (\(Even^{Anything}*(Anything)\)) = Even + Even = Even

Sufficient

ii) if \(3y+(11+y)+35(3y+2) \) = Even =>

Case i) y = odd => Odd*Odd + (Odd+Odd) + (Odd(Odd*Odd)+(Even)) => Odd+Even+(Odd+Even) => Odd+Even+Odd = Even

Case ii) y = even => Odd*Even+ (Odd+Even) + (Odd(Odd*Even)+(Even)) => Even+Odd+(Even+Even) => Even+Odd+Even = Odd

2 cases - 2 Answers - Insufficient

Answer - A
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Send PM
Re: If x and y are positive integers, is (x+2)^(y+2)+x^y(y−2)^(x+2) even [#permalink]
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:

9 = odd; 12*Term = even; 8*Term = even => O+E+E+unknown = odd => O+Unknown = odd => Unknown = even

If x is even => \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} \) => \(Even^{anything}\) + (\(Even^{Anything}*(Anything)\)) = Even + Even = Even

Sufficient

Case i) y = odd => Odd*Odd + (Odd+Odd) + (Odd(Odd*Odd)+(Even)) => Odd+Even+(Odd+Even) => Odd+Even+Odd = Even

Case ii) y = even => Odd*Even+ (Odd+Even) + (Odd(Odd*Even)+(Even)) => Even+Odd+(Even+Even) => Even+Odd+Even = Odd

Answer - A

Hey Shameev,

Thanks for posting your analysis.

As far as Statement 1 is concerned, your analysis is perfect. However, you made a small mistake in Statement 2.

Statement 2 clearly states that \(3y+(11+y)+35(3y+2) \) is even. This means that we need to find the even-odd nature of "y", that will make the given expression in statement 2 even.

Now, your calculation is perfect (highlighted in your solution). However, you did not realize that when y = even, statement 2 is not being satisfied. That means we need to discard this case and infer that "y" must be an odd number for statement 2 to be true.

Now, if y is odd, we need to check if the statement given in the question stem \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} \), is even or not.

I hope this explanation helped you in identifying your mistake. You can also watch the video solution of this question to gain more clarity. :)

Regards,
GMATWhiz Team
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [1]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATWhizTeam wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Sufficient

Answer - A

Hey Shameev,

As far as Statement 1 is concerned, your analysis is perfect. However, you made a small mistake in Statement 2.

Statement 2 clearly states that \(3y+(11+y)+35(3y+2) \) is even. This means that we need to find the even-odd nature of "y", that will make the given expression in statement 2 even.

Now, your calculation is perfect (highlighted in your solution). However, you did not realize that when y = even, statement 2 is not being satisfied. That means we need to discard this case and infer that "y" must be an odd number for statement 2 to be true.

Now, if y is odd, we need to check if the statement given in the question stem \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} \), is even or not.

I hope this explanation helped you in identifying your mistake. You can also watch the video solution of this question to gain more clarity. :)

Regards,
GMATWhiz Team

GMATWhizTeam :- Thank you so much for pointing out my mistake and providing a detailed analysis. Really appreciate your time.
GMATWhiz Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1800 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
shameekv1989 wrote:
GMATWhizTeam wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:

Sufficient

Answer - A

Hey Shameev,

Regards,
GMATWhiz Team

GMATWhizTeam :- Thank you so much for pointing out my mistake and providing a detailed analysis. Really appreciate your time.

It's my pleasure Shameek. Happy to know that the explanation helped :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 353
Send PM
GMATWhizTeam wrote:
I hope you were able to internalize the first skill that we discussed in the Prepathon. Here's the detailed solution to the first question. Even if you got the question right make sure that you check out the method in the solution to ensure that you have solved it using the right method. All the best!

Feel free to post any doubts that you may have in the forum below. We will be happy to help you with your queries :)

I am having tough time in doing pre-analysis, your videos will surely help me. Surprisingly I marked the correct answer here and checked the video later, my approach was correct. Thank you so much
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
If x and y are positive integers, is (x+2)^(y+2)+x^y(y−2)^(x+2) even [#permalink]
Expert Reply
GMATWhizTeam wrote:

The problem is about EVEN vs ODD.
If x=0 and y>0, none of the expressions in the problem will yield a fraction.
Implication:
We can ignore the condition that x must be positive and test x=0 in each statement.

Statement 1:
Case 1: x=0, with result that \(5x+8x^2+12x^3+9 = 9\)
If y=2, then \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} = 16\)
Here, the answer to the question stem is YES.
If y=1, then \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} = 8\)
Here, the answer to the question stem is YES.

Case 2: x=1, with result that \(5x+8x^2+12x^3+9 = 34\)
Not viable, since the sum must be ODD.

Since only Case 1 is viable -- and the answer is YES in Case 1 whether y is even or odd -- SUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
For the sole purpose of determining whether y can be even in Statement 2, we can test y=0.
If y=0, then \(3y+(11+y)+35(3y+2) = 81\) -- not viable, since the sum must be EVEN.
Implication:
In Statement 2, y must be ODD.

If y=1 and x=0, then the answer to the question stem is YES, as shown in Statement 1.
If y=1 and x=1, then \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} = 26\), so the answer to the question stem is YES.
Since the answer is YES whether x is even or odd, SUFFICIENT.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 369 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V35
GPA: 3.9
WE:Education (Accounting)
Send PM
(x + 2)^(y +2) + x^y (y-2)^(x +2) will be even when each of them are either odd or even. Since x is a base here, if x is even, the value will be even regardless the value of y except y =0.

1) 5x +8x^2+12x^3 +9 is odd. 8x^2 +12x^3 is even as even * (odd/even) =even . So 5x + 9 will have to odd as Odd + odd =even and even + odd =odd. That means 5x is even and for this x has to be even. The powers of x in the question stem cannot be 0. Sufficient.
2) 3y+(11+y)+35(3y+2) is even. WE can rewrite it as : 3y +11+y+105y +70 . 109y +81 is even. As Odd +odd =even and odd * odd =odd, so y is odd. We need the value of x. Not sufficient.
A is the answer.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3134 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
minustark wrote:
2)so y is odd. We need the value of x. Not sufficient.

The assumption in red is incorrect.
If y=odd and x=odd, then \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} = \) ODD + ODD = EVEN
If y=odd and x=even, then \((x+2)^{y+2}+x^y (y−2)^{x+2} = \) EVEN + EVEN = EVEN
Regardless of the value of x, the answer to the question stem is YES.
Thus, statement 2 is SUFFICIENT.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts