Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
MBA Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 1036 [0]
Given Kudos: 63
Schools: ISB (A)
Send PM
Re: ISB Profile Evaluation - Tools for B-School Profile Evaluation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
procrastinator7 wrote:
Hi guys,

Requesting ISB profile evaluation from the pros here

Education: Bachelor of Computer Science (India)
60%

Master of Computer Science (Texas)
3.4 GPA

Experience: Total 10 years with 8 years at Microsoft and last 2 years at a Retail start-up where I am currently in a Senior Engineering role with leadership responsibilities.

Worked on some path-breaking and well-known products like Windows and Office.

Extra curriculars include
1. Toastmasters
2. Learning Sanskrit
3. Worked for an NGO owned by a friend catering towards improving Children education outcomes in rural India

GMAT: Yet to give

I guess my main concern is the experience and age. I am looking for a full school experience to reset and refresh my thought process,hence ISB PGP.

How will my experience and age affect my chances of getting the ISB admit assuming GMAT is > 700?

Any advise is highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Shashi

Posted from my mobile device

Hi Shashi

Let us look at the "three Es" - that's how a B school would evaluate your profile.

1. Education: You already have a masters degree which will give you an edge over other applicants.

2. Experience: 10 years is 2x the class average at ISB and average for other schools such as IIM A, IIM B etc. Quality of experience seems good with marquee names such as Microsoft Windows, Office on your resume. A mix of startup and big corporation experience can also be presented well to showcase the value you will bring to the class (usually an essay topic for most schools). If you have international experience, ensure that gets its due in your application too.

3. Extra curriculars: Good mix of toastmasters, volunteering and Sanskrit. However, ensure that you talk of achievement and not mere participation in your application essays.

Overall, this is a strong profile, which has the right ingredients for a successful application. However, it needs to be presented well, especially on areas such as "why MBA?", "why now?", "career goals", etc.

Being ISB alumni, we can say by experience that you need not worry about age. Every year, ISB has many 30+ students (some even 40+). The school also has a "senior executive club" which specifically looks into the interests of such people.

Since you come from a tech background, we would suggest you also apply to IIM A and IIM B as they are focused on senior tech applicants.

Like any other exam, the higher score, the better. However, for your profile, even a 650 on the GMAT will be fine. We have had clients in the past who got into ISB with 640 (8 years of experience).

Hope this helps. Do let us know in case of any further queries.

Team S4G
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
PatrickJack wrote:
Hello everyone,

It would be great if you can help in evaluating my profile.
Male 25

Academics:-
10th: 96%
12th: 91% (Science)
MSc. Maths and EEE From BITS Pilani 61%

GMAT Score: 730

Work Experience:-
Total Experience: 2 years and 11 months as of 28th February 2020
Working as a software development engineer in a top ride-hailing company, also worked for a few months abroad for training and work-related issues.
Promoted in 1 year for good and innovative work, was given employee recognition award.

I have done some teaching work for Teach For India. I was also a part of the College Football team and have organized some basic training programs and entrepreneurship workshops.

Post MBA Goals:- Consulting/Product Management

Hi PatrickJack

Looking at the three Es, given below are our views on your profile:

1. Education: Good scores and a good brandin BITS. A masters degree is an added advantage. You seem to check all boxes here.

2. Experience: Fast track promotion and a brand (I assume a top ride hailing co means Uber or OLA here, both are recruiters at ISB) helps. You should be able to talk about how you solve "real problems" at work in such a startup. By next year, you will have around 4 years of experience, which is the sweet spot for ISB.

3. Extra curricular: Teach for India, football and workshops are a good mixed bag. However, talk about achievements in your application, not just participation.

730 is a great score and should give you an edge.

Overall, its a great profile which has all the ingredients. Ensure you cook a "sumptuous dish" in your application by highlighting the right areas.

Good luck! Feel free to reach out in case of any further queries.

Regards,
Team S4G
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
PatrickJack wrote:

I have done some teaching work for Teach For India.

Very good profile, let me know if you need any help with STAR to project your TFI classroom experience and its impact on you personally &/or professionally.

Good luck!
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Expert Reply
PatrickJack wrote:
Hello everyone,

It would be great if you can help in evaluating my profile.
Male 25

Academics:-
10th: 96%
12th: 91% (Science)
MSc. Maths and EEE From BITS Pilani 61%

GMAT Score: 730

Work Experience:-
Total Experience: 2 years and 11 months as of 28th February 2020
Working as a software development engineer in a top ride-hailing company, also worked for a few months abroad for training and work-related issues.
Promoted in 1 year for good and innovative work, was given employee recognition award.

I have done some teaching work for Teach For India. I was also a part of the College Football team and have organized some basic training programs and entrepreneurship workshops.

Post MBA Goals:- Consulting/Product Management

Hello PatrickJack,

Your BITS background, GMAT score, and fast-track promotion are going to be really helpful in projecting a strong overall profile. Of course, you must try and ensure that your career goals are portrayed in a manner that they sync with all that you have achieved. Besides, in case there is a leadership angle in your profile (direct or indirect), be sure to project it appropriately.

The work with Teach for India sounds good; however, if possible, elaborate on the impact achieved rather than focusing only on the volunteering angle.

All in all, you have a good chance of cracking ISB; just focus on putting forth a set of stellar essays.

All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: ISB'22 (WL)
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I'm planning to apply to ISB in fall 2020 (for admission in fall 2021).
Please evaluate my profile and let me know the areas I could improve upon. Thanks in advance.

GMAT - 750

Graduation - B.Tech in Electrical Engineering, IIT Gandhinagar; CGPA 6.99

International Experience - Research internship at ISCTE Business School (Portugal) in tourism management; research published in the no. 1 tourism management journal

Work Experience -
4 years (at the time of joining in fall 2021) as software test engineer in Capgemini;
rated 'outstanding' in 3 out of 3 performance reviews;
automated tests that reduced execution time by 75% thus enabling faster product go-live;
led testing on the critical admin module as part of the biggest product release (cloud migration), reported 100+ bugs, zero leakage to production.

POR - Sports secretary of the student council; represented a student body of 950+ students

Extra curricular - State level high jump player; Gold medal at the state level in Taekwondo; Institute 'Award for outstanding performance in outdoor sports'

Why MBA -
learn the fundamentals of business for my long term goal of running my own business;
transition to a more business oriented career such as consulting;
learn from a network of diverse peers
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 155
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya01512 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Please evaluate my profile and let me know the areas I could improve upon. Thanks in advance.

GMAT - 750

International Experience - Research internship at ISCTE Business School (Portugal) in tourism management; research published in the no. 1 tourism management journal

Work Experience -
4 years (at the time of joining in fall 2021) as software test engineer in Capgemini;
automated tests that reduced execution time by 75% thus enabling faster product go-live;
led testing on the critical admin module as part of the biggest product release (cloud migration), reported 100+ bugs, zero leakage to production.

POR - Sports secretary of the student council; represented a student body of 950+ students

Extra curricular - State level high jump player; Gold medal at the state level in Taekwondo; Institute 'Award for outstanding performance in outdoor sports'

Why MBA -
learn the fundamentals of business for my long term goal of running my own business;

Hi Aditya,

You have an excellent GMAT score. Congratulations on that. The GPA is not that impressive but the GMAT will make up for it. Now, I'd also like to add, you will need to still work hard on your application - a spectacular GMAT, though beneficial is never enough to get an applicant admitted.

Your work experience sounds competitive. I am happy to note that you have an understanding of the business impact that your work creates - many applicants don't have that perspective, but its really important for building your resume and demonstrating how your achievements are bigger and better than your peers'. When you work in a company/ industry which is over-represented in the MBA admissions process, then your work achievements and business knowledge can help you to differentiate yourself from other applicants.Work upon this for the rest of the year until you apply. Also, try taking more responsibilities as they will help you show your drive, initiative, ability to get things done, and ofcourse, the corresponding achievement.

Your ECAs are dated. What have you done in the past 4 years? If nothing substantial, you should get into an activity (not a hobby) where you are able to help others.

Lastly, I am not very well aligned with your career goals. IT to management consulting to entrepreneurship. Why consulting? Its the odd one out here.
MBA Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
aditya01512 wrote:
Hi everyone,

GMAT - 750

Work Experience -

Why MBA -

Hi aditya01512

Lets look at your 3 Es - education, experience and extra-curriculars - the typical way a top B school would evaluate your profile.

1. Education: An IIT gives you an edge but the scores are decent, not stellar. Overall, decent academics.

2. Experience: You lie in the 3-4 year sweet spot for ISB. Additionally, the brand Capgemini helps. International experience and research is an added advantage as not all ISB applicants would have it on their resume.

3. Extra-curricular: This stands out as you have achievements at the state level, which again not everyone would have.

GMAT: 750 is very comfortable for any school and ISB is no different.

Overall, it is a good profile which can make it to the interview stage, provided you present your story well. Focus on the key points - dont try to write too many of them to impress the admissions committee - this is a common mistake various applicants make and fail to get an interview call, despite having a solid profile.

We appreciate that you are clear about your career goals (at least directionally). As ISB alumni, we have seen cases in the past where people coming from such backgrounds get into consulting and then startup a few years later. Hence, this is surely achievable. Having said that, the admissions committee will need to be convinced of this and this is where a cohesive story in your application essays will come in.

Hope this helps. Feel free to reach out to us in case of any further queries.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
rohitsubr wrote:
Hi All,

Could you please evaluate my profile ISB PGP application in the coming year.

Xth grade: 95% ICSE
XIIth grade : 75% State board

B.E. IT(Mumbai University): 7.26 CGPA

GMAT: 710(Q49 V38)

Work experience: 4.5 years (IT Consulting in Oracle) by the time I join ISB
- Worked for 1.5 years onsite in Tokyo [Received Formal appreciation for the same]
- Worked short durations for Indian Onsites as well
- Informally leading a team

Extra-curricular and achievements
-Regional Mathematical Olympiad [2011]
-Technical head of College IT Council
-An active member of Toastmasters [ currently working on getting more involved]
-Internationally rated chess player [FIDE rating of 1500+]

Post MBA Goal : Product Manager in FinTech companies

Please also suggest whether I need to improve my GMAT score.

I would like to add that this profile is as a reapplicant.
I am trying to figure out what aspects of the profile can I improve.

Regards,
Rohit Subramanian

Hi rohitsubr

Thanks for posting. Overall, looks good. Can you provide some more insight on your functional expertise within Oracle as well? Will provide a detailed evaluation post that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
Hello Everyone ,

Looking at excellent profiles posted here. I don't know where do I stand so kindly request experts for a profile evaluation. I will be grateful.

Age - 33
X th - 83.4 (CBSE)
XII th - 61.5 (state board)
BE in computer science - 79.6 (University of Burdwan)

GMAT - 690 (trying to improve attempting again this year)

Work Experience :-

9 years in Indian Armed forces and one year of mandatory service left being short service commissioned officer .

Served in counter insurgency

Had been in adminstration and leadership role all these year.

Have been instrumental in facing and solving many varied and demanding challenges.

Designed two Softwares for army int requirements which is being used at a very high level .

Awarded General officer commanding commendation twice (it's an award that you get for your exceptional word)

Excellent hold on Data science , certified by Microsoft .

Extra curricular :-

Working to help children's of martrys in continuation of education .

Was state level coordinator for national service scheme during college days

Traveller and a photographer been to remotest corner of India.

Post MBA Goal - with my skill set I think will do good in consultancy.( I welcome comments on this as well)

Thanks and Regards

CEO
CEO
Send PM
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
sushantsatyam wrote:
Hello Everyone ,

Looking at excellent profiles posted here. I don't know where do I stand so kindly request experts for a profile evaluation. I will be grateful.

Age - 33
X th - 83.4 (CBSE)
XII th - 61.5 (state board)
BE in computer science - 79.6 (University of Burdwan)

GMAT - 690 (trying to improve attempting again this year)

Work Experience :-

9 years in Indian Armed forces and one year of mandatory service left being short service commissioned officer .

Served in counter insurgency

Had been in adminstration and leadership role all these year.

Have been instrumental in facing and solving many varied and demanding challenges.

Designed two Softwares for army int requirements which is being used at a very high level .

Awarded General officer commanding commendation twice (it's an award that you get for your exceptional word)

Excellent hold on Data science , certified by Microsoft .

Extra curricular :-

Working to help children's of martrys in continuation of education .

Was state level coordinator for national service scheme during college days

Traveller and a photographer been to remotest corner of India.

Post MBA Goal - with my skill set I think will do good in consultancy.( I welcome comments on this as well)

Thanks and Regards

Dear sushantsatyam

Thanks for posting and welcome to the profile evaluation thread. Our assessment:
- Your army service is your biggest differentiator. While we would encourage you to enhance your GMAT score, in your case, you would have a fighting chance and more even with a 690. ISB values defense profiles a lot. Please go through [url=https://www.gyanone.com/mba-for-indian-army-navy-airforce/] this article on the MBA for Indian army officers [url] as well. It will be helpful.
- ECA, GPA, age are all good. While, at around 10 years of experience, you are on the slightly higher side of work experience for ISB, that will not be a problem in your case, as an SSC officer.
- Your post-MBA goal might need a bit more refining. While the possibility to get into consulting ultimately is not ruled out, it may not be the best career fit on your application.

Hope this helps. Feel free to come back with more queries as needed.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 43
Schools: ISB'22
Send PM
I am grateful for your prompt response . Thank you .

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Schools: ISB'22 (A)
Send PM