Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  183   
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: Harvard University, A.B. with honors in Government, 2002
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [0]
Given Kudos: 272
GMAT 1: 770 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 730 Q44 V47
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
GMAT 4: 730 Q48 V42 (Online)
GRE 1: Q168 V169

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [0]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Online - What We Know [Master Topic] [#permalink]
mcelroytutoring wrote:
I do think that GMAC would be wise to anticipate that a dropped internet connection or computer crash / electricity outage is something that is likely to happen during the exam. (Though an electricity outage isn't necessarily a problem for a well-charged laptop, it would obviously sever the internet connection.) By the time my connection got dropped for the 5th or 6th time on the At-Home GRE, I realized that a wired, reliable, fast internet connection is key to maintaining your momentum on the exam, and to not having what should be a 3-hour test turn into a 5 or 6-hour slog.

With regard to cheating prevention, dropped connections / computer reboots are more of a potential problem on the GRE, where a cheater could look at all the questions, intentionally sever the internet connection or turn off the computer, solve the questions with help, then log back into the test and answer them correctly. The fact that the GMAT only lets you see one question at a time (and you can't go back) would make this less of an issue.

I understand, though I still feel/hope GMAC address these issues. In a test center, it is okay to run into such issues as one may not be held responsible but the invigilator of the test center for such but one may be held responsible if one encounters such at home.

This is one of the key reasons I am anxious in giving GMAT at home apart from other reasons as you stated such as the one that turns a sitting into a 6-hour long grueling :)

Thanks for the debrief though, it was insightful and would help others as well who plan to write test at home.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Yes I totally agreed you could give GMAT from your birth place town city or state or country.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Yes I totally agreed you could give GMAT from your birth place town city or state or country.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
i) When you rebooted or when you lost the connection, how was Proctor still able to monitor you? I mean there should be someway they can monitor you when you are in the midst of the test right?

Obviously, when I rebooted my computer, the webcam briefly shut off and the proctor was not able to monitor me. However, I was anxious to reboot and log back in, so I was only "off camera" for a few minutes, but no, I was not monitored the entire time.

shameekv1989 wrote:
ii) Did you face any issues/distractions from the Proctor during the test?

No, not at all. The proctors (I had 3 of them) were barely noticeable and would talk to you at the very beginning (both through the computer audio and the chat feature), and that was about it.

shameekv1989 wrote:
iii) Were you allowed to move from your place? And what about the breaks? Do we need to be in front of camera all the time? As in, in the test center you have someone watching you. You are not allowed to take a look at the notes etc.

Yes, you need to be in front of the camera the entire time other than the 10-minute break, and show the proctor all 4 corners of your room and your entire desk area. My daughter has a bookshelf that he made me cover with a bedsheet.

At the end of the exam, you have to erase your whiteboard in view of the proctor.

Doesnt running windows via bootcamp on a mac kill wifi speeds and reliability in general?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
Send PM
So the tests I took I was not allowed to have a scratchpad, but I would assume any dry erase board would be allowed provided you show it to the proctor and keep it in view.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
justice8511 wrote:
mcelroytutoring wrote:
shameekv1989 wrote:
i) When you rebooted or when you lost the connection, how was Proctor still able to monitor you? I mean there should be someway they can monitor you when you are in the midst of the test right?

Obviously, when I rebooted my computer, the webcam briefly shut off and the proctor was not able to monitor me. However, I was anxious to reboot and log back in, so I was only "off camera" for a few minutes, but no, I was not monitored the entire time.

shameekv1989 wrote:
ii) Did you face any issues/distractions from the Proctor during the test?

No, not at all. The proctors (I had 3 of them) were barely noticeable and would talk to you at the very beginning (both through the computer audio and the chat feature), and that was about it.

shameekv1989 wrote:
iii) Were you allowed to move from your place? And what about the breaks? Do we need to be in front of camera all the time? As in, in the test center you have someone watching you. You are not allowed to take a look at the notes etc.

Yes, you need to be in front of the camera the entire time other than the 10-minute break, and show the proctor all 4 corners of your room and your entire desk area. My daughter has a bookshelf that he made me cover with a bedsheet.

At the end of the exam, you have to erase your whiteboard in view of the proctor.

Doesnt running windows via bootcamp on a mac kill wifi speeds and reliability in general?

No. I have done it for 6 years on 3 versions of MACs. You may need to jump through some hoops to do the install - Apple does not make it super easy but there are all drivers that come and work pretty reliably. I don’t know why OS would impact the WIFI speed.... But if it does, I clearly have not noticed or been impacted by it :lol:

My Mac runs windows 99% of the time and it runs for weeks at a time without reboot. I use google/nest Wifi. I have also used Airport and Airport express in the past. Never had issues with those two products. I have observed overall WiFi reliability of my Mac WiFi to be along the lines of that if my iPhone.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Doesnt running windows via bootcamp on a mac kill wifi speeds and reliability in general?[/quote]

No. I have done it for 6 years on 3 versions of MACs. You may need to jump through some hoops to do the install - Apple does not make it super easy but there are all drivers that come and work pretty reliably. I don’t know why OS would impact the WIFI speed.... But if it does, I clearly have not noticed or been impacted by it :lol:

My Mac runs windows 99% of the time and it runs for weeks at a time without reboot. I use google/nest Wifi. I have also used Airport and Airport express in the past. Never had issues with those two products. I have observed overall WiFi reliability of my Mac WiFi to be along the lines of that if my iPhone.

Posted from my mobile device[/quote]

Gotcha, im not too familiar with bootcamp so I'll take your word for it.

Do you have an opinion on whether connecting to the internet via iPhone hotspot (US AT&T) is generally more reliable than connecting to the internet via WiFi? :)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72877 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well... I am not a huge fan of ATT but it really depends on where you are. Most of the time I connect to my hotspot via WIFI so it is. It really hotspot vs WiFi but hotspot vs cable or DSL or Fiber :-)

However if you are in a good coverage area, hotspot can be faster and better.... Especially vs slower DSL.

I don’t think it really matters most of the time.

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

Send PM
Wow! Yet another cunning way to cheat on GRE Home Edition, aka GRE Bad Decision.

mcelroytutoring wrote:

With regard to cheating prevention, dropped connections / computer reboots are more of a potential problem on the GRE, where a cheater could look at all the questions, intentionally sever the internet connection or turn off the computer, solve the questions with help, then log back into the test and answer them correctly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V36 (Online)
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Friends! Do you think the SIZE of the laptop or Desktop makes difference?
I often found that the computer sets at Test Centres have large monitors and the screen size/spread/font size is bigger than that of an ordinary laptop on which we practice, making the reading process uncomfortable.

Don't you think a small laptop with compact screen such as a 13 inch Dell xps will be an advantage? (Especially when reading RC passages with reasonable font size)
Or do you think one using 13 inch laptops will have to use scroll bars to read the whole question/passage? (This is really disastrous)
People who have taken GRE may pl comment the experience of taking exam on a smaller screen compared to large monitors in test centres.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mayor wrote:
Friends! Do you think the SIZE of the laptop or Desktop makes difference?
I often found that the computer sets at Test Centres have large monitors and the screen size/spread/font size is bigger than that of an ordinary laptop on which we practice, making the reading process uncomfortable.

Don't you think a small laptop with compact screen such as a 13 inch Dell xps will be an advantage? (Especially when reading RC passages with reasonable font size)
Or do you think one using 13 inch laptops will have to use scroll bars to read the whole question/passage? (This is really disastrous)
People who have taken GRE may pl comment the experience of taking exam on a smaller screen compared to large monitors in test centres.
Hi Mayor,

I guess it could go either way. As for whether you'd have to use a scrollbar, that actually depends more on the resolution of your display than the screen size. Most GRE passages are not very long, so you probably won't be as affected by this issue as you might think.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [1]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
zhanbo wrote:
Wow! Yet another cunning way to cheat on GRE Home Edition, aka GRE Bad Decision.
Hi zhanbo,

Agreed. Anyone who wants to cheat will find a way. We can only hope that most people don't. Or that schools weed cheaters out at a later stage, which is what really matters.

I still feel that we need this alternative. In India there is talk of extending the lockdown. And we don't even know whether these lockdowns will become more frequent (that is, open/close, open/close...).
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32876 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Top Contributor
mcelroytutoring wrote:
I do think that GMAC would be wise to anticipate that a dropped internet connection or computer crash / electricity outage is something that is likely to happen during the exam. (Though an electricity outage isn't necessarily a problem for a well-charged laptop, it would obviously sever the internet connection.) By the time my connection got dropped for the 5th or 6th time on the At-Home GRE, I realized that a wired, reliable, fast internet connection is key to maintaining your momentum on the exam, and to not having what should be a 3 or 4-hour test turn into a 5 or 6-hour slog.

With regard to cheating prevention, dropped connections / computer reboots are more of a potential problem on the GRE, where a cheater could look at all the questions, intentionally sever the internet connection or turn off the computer, solve the questions with help, then log back into the test and answer them correctly. The fact that the GMAT only lets you see one question at a time (and you can't go back) would make this less of an issue.

If this said is based on a real experience, then it is possible to assume.

If it is your assumption, I do not think it is possible. Moreover, I do not know how to figure out to turn off the computer and then back after one hour and the Proctor welcomed me saying me all is fine.

The proctor could stop you to take the exam at any moment and for whatever reason, it might be.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32876 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Top Contributor
bb wrote:
Well... I am not a huge fan of ATT but it really depends on where you are. Most of the time I connect to my hotspot via WIFI so it is. It really hotspot vs WiFi but hotspot vs cable or DSL or Fiber :-)

However if you are in a good coverage area, hotspot can be faster and better.... Especially vs slower DSL.

I don’t think it really matters most of the time.

Recommended Minimum Speeds
Download 1.5 MBPS

Upload 1 MBPS

it implies the internet connection of ten years ago. Turns out, the more the bandwidth is required, the more the internet connection is stable. At least in theory
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
Today LSAC (maker of the LSAT) announced its own plans for an online, at-home, shortened version of the LSAT, called the "LSAT Flex," which will debut in mid-May:

https://www.lsac.org/update-coronavirus ... /lsat-flex

Meanwhile, it's April 8th, and GMAC's claim that the Interim GMAT will begin in "mid April" appears more suspect with each passing day.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V24
GMAT 2: 540 Q31 V34
GMAT 3: 590 Q36 V34
GMAT 4: 600 Q42 V30
GRE 1: Q159 V152
GPA: 4
Send PM
mcelroytutoring wrote:
Today LSAC (maker of the LSAT) announced its own plans for an online, at-home, shortened version of the LSAT, called the "LSAT Flex," which will debut in mid-May:

https://www.lsac.org/update-coronavirus ... /lsat-flex

Meanwhile, it's April 8th, and GMAC's claim that the Interim GMAT will begin in "mid April" appears more suspect with each passing day.

Hi Mcelroytutoring,

I am giving my GRE at home shortly and was hoping you could answer a few qs regarding your experience.
Can you please tell me if one can scribble for solutions in a GMAT type booklet which is laminated and written with a dry erase marker? I have bought a small white board but I dont want to use it as Ill waste a lot of time erasing it during the test as the space is limited.

Also, did you notice any interruptions caused by the proctors? As in if you cover your face while writing or lean on the desk? I also have a tendency to read portions of the RC passages out loud (not too loud but like mumble to myself), will that be a problem?

Finally, did you see an experimental section on the exam or a research section? Were you intimated which is which or did this seem like the normal exam with 5 sections? + experimental section?

How did you do in this exam? Do you find this experience easier than the test center or more chaotic?

Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate your input.
Ari Banerjee
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2412 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
ari.banerjee wrote:
Hi Mcelroytutoring,

I am giving my GRE at home shortly and was hoping you could answer a few qs regarding your experience.
Can you please tell me if one can scribble for solutions in a GMAT type booklet which is laminated and written with a dry erase marker? I have bought a small white board but I dont want to use it as Ill waste a lot of time erasing it during the test as the space is limited.

Also, did you notice any interruptions caused by the proctors? As in if you cover your face while writing or lean on the desk? I also have a tendency to read portions of the RC passages out loud (not too loud but like mumble to myself), will that be a problem?

Finally, did you see an experimental section on the exam or a research section? Were you intimated which is which or did this seem like the normal exam with 5 sections? + experimental section?

How did you do in this exam? Do you find this experience easier than the test center or more chaotic?

Thank you for your time and I greatly appreciate your input.
Ari Banerjee

Yes, you can use a blank, laminated sheet instead of a dry-erase board. The proctors were not too strict, other than the fact that I had to be on camera all times and show them my wrists, ears, glasses, etc.

I did well, but not my best. My order was QVQVQ, and I think either the 2nd or 3rd quant section was the experimental section.

The score wasn't quite up to my high standards, but the conditions were not optimal, and I treated it mostly as an experiment anyway, so I'm OK with that. My entire family was home at the time (obviously), and although my wife tried to keep the kids on the quiet side, we have 3 of them, including a 2-year old, and as any parent knows, you can only do so much. ; ) Before the exam, my internet connection was diagnosed as "sub-optimal" in my daughter's room, the only suitable room for the exam (which also happens to have the worst wireless reception in the house), so the exam ended up taking 50% longer than it should have (see picture below).

Did I miss the relative quiet and reliability of the testing center? Yes, definitely--but that's simply not an option right now. However, taking the GRE at home was also supremely cool, despite all the technical snafus, and I can see it being perfect for someone who lives alone in a quiet apartment with a fast, reliable, wired internet connection--or someone who has access to a quiet hotel room or office with similar amenities.

Originally posted by mcelroytutoring on 08 Apr 2020, 14:59.
Last edited by mcelroytutoring on 08 Apr 2020, 19:17, edited 4 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11  ...  183