Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which opinion would you choose for Fall 2020

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q165 V165
Send PM
GSB vs HBS + Covid/Recession Concerns [#permalink]
OP, congrats!!
Not to hijack the thread but I'm struggling with the same as a domestic applicant -- HBS vs GSB (also vs Wharton with significant scholarship).
Is there any chance of negotiating scholarship money with these need-based schools?
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I think the more the merrier as long as we are on topic. I only have one data point on scholarships.... there was a Stanford hack a number of years ago that exposed that scholarships weren’t always purely need-based... But that’s the only reference point I have. There isn’t all that much information about scholarships in the wild.

But we’re definitely in a new territory. An MSx student mentioned that there is a talk among the students about possibly providing refunds/credits/additional training in lieu of Or rather in addition of online classes that they have to take. I’m not sure if this may have some side effect or impact on tuition should it extend into the fall.... you may have seen that conversation.

However, I’ve heard an interesting theory that deferrals may not be too widespread and should not be counted on. Otherwise, the theory goes, with many students deferring, it makes this year‘s income in class very small and swells the class after which will make quite a bit of a mess for the schools to deal with.... what do you think?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GRE 1: Q165 V165
Send PM
Re: GSB vs HBS + Covid/Recession Concerns [#permalink]
bb wrote:
I think the more the merrier as long as we are on topic. I only have one data point on scholarships.... there was a Stanford hack a number of years ago that exposed that scholarships weren’t always purely need-based... But that’s the only reference point I have. There isn’t all that much information about scholarships in the wild.

But we’re definitely in a new territory. An MSx student mentioned that there is a talk among the students about possibly providing refunds/credits/additional training in lieu of Or rather in addition of online classes that they have to take. I’m not sure if this may have some side effect or impact on tuition should it extend into the fall.... you may have seen that conversation.

However, I’ve heard an interesting theory that deferrals may not be too widespread and should. It be counted on. Otherwise, the theory goes, with many students deferring, it makes this year‘s income in class very small and swells the class after which will make quite a bit of a mess for the schools to deal with.... what do you think?

I haven't heard of anyone who is thinking of deferring, certainly not when admitted to these three. Again, I'm not an international so my viewpoint is limited. With visa challenges I can absolutely foresee us having less geographic diversity in the class this year.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ha. Found this post that suggests HBS has bumped up their offer: https://gmatclub.com/forum/hbs-full-tui ... 98844.html

Founder
Founder
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I just got the stats dump for the last 5 years (2015-2020) and largely it is disappointing that most people are not indicating their final matriculation decision so the data points are on the lower side. There are anywhere between 21 to 50 data records for people who have applied to both programs each year. Not huge percentages but better than nothing. I can also see that over the years people have become much more insecure and have not really posted "DENIED" status for programs. You will see the numbers of denied applicants dwindle every year.... perceptions perceptions.... Here are the details:

ONLY APPLICANTS TO BOTH GSB AND HBS
Includes only those who have applied to both and have been admitted to at least one program. This excludes "luck-seekers" who applied to HBS and GSB and did not get into either program.

GSB/HBS Class of 2017 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 5252
Admitted: 4229
Denied: 1023
Dual Admit: 1919
Matriculating3/154/7

3/15 means that out of total 15 matriculating statuses, 3 had dual admits and chose HBS over GSB
4/7 means that out of 7 matriculating, 4 had dual admits and chose GSB over HBS

GSB/HBS Class of 2018 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 2121
Admitted: 179
Denied: 412
Dual Admit: 55
Matriculating72/4

7 means that out of total 7 matriculating statuses, 0 had dual admits
2/4 means that out of 4 matriculating, 2 had dual admits and chose GSB

GSB/HBS Class of 2019 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 2929
Admitted: 249
Denied: 512
Dual Admit: 1212
Matriculating1/52/4

1/5 means that out of total 5 matriculating statuses, 1 had dual admits and chose HBS
2/4 means that out of 4 matriculating, 2 had dual admits and chose GSB

GSB/HBS Class of 2020 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 3939
Admitted: 3621
Denied: 318
Dual Admit: 1212
Matriculating3/83/4

3/8 means that out of total 8 matriculating statuses, 3 had dual admits and chose HBS
3/4 means that out of 4 matriculating, 3 had dual admits and chose GSB

GSB/HBS Class of 2021 Overlap
HBSGSB
Applied: 2121
Admitted: 2012
Denied: 19
Dual Admit: 1111
Matriculating1/11/1

1/1 means that out of total 1 matriculating statuses, 1 had dual admits and chose HBS
1/1 means that out of 1 matriculating, 1 had dual admits and chose GSB

There you go. What does it say? :-o

Originally posted by bb on 01 Apr 2020, 20:20.
Last edited by bb on 01 Apr 2020, 20:41, edited 8 times in total.
Updated with more data
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Final update posted.... I also have this year but it is incomplete as many people have not made their decisions yet. We have 17 records for Class of 2022 dual applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Can attest to HBS having not-so-great people.. more uptight. People I know from my network at HBS fit that build. The people in my network at Stanford are noticeably nicer, my individual perspective. Really depends on the section you get at HBS, luck of the draw. But HBS with it's larger alumni base and chapters globally should be considered...
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
Plandrive wrote:
Can attest to HBS having not-so-great people.. more uptight. People I know from my network at HBS fit that build. The people in my network at Stanford are noticeably nicer, my individual perspective. Really depends on the section you get at HBS, luck of the draw. But HBS with it's larger alumni base and chapters globally should be considered...

There are 900 students in a class at HBS... this is a pretty general statement that’s likely based on less than 1% sample size?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Yup, agree. Should've added my individual perspective disclaimer at front. Few friends at HBS have mentioned that different sections have different cultures (some relaxed, some more competitive), I just find it coincidental that more than just a couple I know at HBS were not-so-nice people. Definitely still lots of nice people
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts