Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:49 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Tuck ($) vs Darden vs nothing vs reapply to HS

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.08
WE:Brand Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [3]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.08
WE:Brand Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Re: [SOLVED] Tuck ($) vs Darden vs nothing vs reapply to HS [#permalink]
ket310 wrote:
I would seriously reassess your desire to do MBA. Clearly, when you applied to Tuck and Darden, you had those schools in mind (or at least as a back up to other schools). I just wanted to reiterate, that a lot of prospective students value HSW/M7 over T15. That is true in some cases that they offer more opportunities. In other cases, T15 can do exactly same thing for you that HSW will do. With your background and goal,I believe Tuck or Darden will do their job of placing you in a tech PM role. If you fail, that's not because you went to Tuck/Darden over M7/HSW, but because you didn't prepare well. So, I would cross off reapplying, unless you are M7 or bust (which, I don't think you should be with your target goal). That's my two cents as someone attending T15. The firm that I will be interning have half M7 and half T15 number of interns, and we would all be evaluated based on our performance, not what school we went to at this point. I just wanted to reiterate that T15 can potentially do the same job M7 would do.

ket310 /bb: Yeah, I agree with your points. It’s not so much an M7 or bust mindset. I’d take Tuck over most M7 due to personal preference. I think HS is a tier above and very hard to get, so I make a distinction on that. The truth is I won’t be able to get a job I want in the US without an MBA. It’s a tough place to immigrate to, especially if you’re not working for a global firm. I definitely want to do an MBA for the network and skill set while I’m still young enough to reap the ROI. I just put the reapply and don’t do MBA options for the sake of MECE.

Posted from my mobile device
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I honestly would take Tuck over Darden any day unless it was IB or something very very specific. I think Tuck has a very strong brand and a very special experience that's not reflected in the Rankings.
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
I agree with bb. I like Tuck over Darden despite what the rankings suggest. They are a very strong brand and from what I have heard, very loyal alumni. Good luck with you decision!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Yeah... I just wanted to point out that M7 vs T15 is a relatively minor difference if you are targeting a very structured recruiting processed industry (assuming that the company/firm you want to go to has a decent presence in the T15 school). With Tuck vs Darden, I honestly think it is your personal preference. Tuck has a loyal alumni base, but so does Darden. When I got admitted to Darden, couple alumni who are C-level (VP technically, but the head of their division) of a Fortune 500 called me to come to Darden, although I ended up staying in NYC. So, I wouldn't discredit Darden over Tuck. Plus, Hanover is super cold while Cville is manageable. Anyways, good luck with your decision and enjoy your MBA life!
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 149 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
[quote="ket310"]Yeah... I just wanted to point out that M7 vs T15 is a relatively minor difference if you are targeting a very structured recruiting processed industry (assuming that the company/firm you want to go to has a decent presence in the T15 school). With Tuck vs Darden, I honestly think it is your personal preference. Tuck has a loyal alumni base, but so does Darden. When I got admitted to Darden, couple alumni who are C-level (VP technically, but the head of their division) of a Fortune 500 called me to come to Darden, although I ended up staying in NYC. So, I wouldn't discredit Darden over Tuck. Plus, Hanover is super cold while Cville is manageable. Anyways, good luck with your decision and enjoy your MBA life![/quote]

I love alumni. Before I got admitted to Fuqua I built a good connection with the President and CEO of USPA Global Licensing Inc. He was instrumental in my decision. Now 2 weeks post decision, I have been contacted by several Fuqua alumni. An alumni base can make all the difference in my opinion.

[size=80][b][i]Posted from my mobile device[/i][/b][/size]
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [0]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wakanda92 - first off, congratulations! This is amazing and you have clearly had a hell of a ride this season. Tuck and Darden are GREAT schools and you will no problem recruiting for anything that you desire. Whether you get the job or not would depend on a bunch of things - some you can control some you cannot!

Because you are an international student, your tech PM dreams would have to be restricted into big names because they are ones that sponsor - I am talking Google, Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, Salesforce and Adobe. Maybe a few others will hire on case by case basis but that's all you got. All these companies will give you access to their people and alums from both Tuck and Darden, but if I had to pick, I'd go with Tuck. It has (arguably) a better brand name and they have recently tried to break into tech with very successful results.

BTW, I did tech PM recruiting extensively and feel free to ask if you have specific tech PM questions!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I agree with most posts above. I would take the scholarship at Tuck over Darden especially since you are interested in tech more. As BB rightly points out if you were targeting a specific (IB role) then Darden might have a slight edge but overall Tuck would be the smarter choice imo. You have easy access to Boston and NY from Tuck and should provide you with better opportunities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 135 [2]
Given Kudos: 73
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
[SOLVED] Tuck ($) vs Darden vs nothing vs reapply to HS [#permalink]
Kudos
I have reached out to the user and the user has decided to reapply to Harvard and Wharton
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
texas101 wrote:
I have reached out to the user and the user has decided to reapply to Harvard and Wharton

Wow! That's impressive! and ballsy! Good Luck Wakanda! Look forward to seeing you around for another season and fingers crossed. You are now wiser and more experienced - good attributes to attract "luck" ;-)
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8832 [0]
Given Kudos: 3034
GRE 1: Q168 V154
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Expert Reply
FWIW, I heard that a part of the reason for the decision was the concern regarding online classes.
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Wakanda92 wrote:
Hi everyone,

<snip>

As you consider your path forward, this might be of interest --- https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmatclub-off ... 35846.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts