Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Given Kudos: 227
Concentration: Nonprofit, Sustainability
Schools: ISB '23
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V30
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1728 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Finance, Human Resources
Schools: ISB '18 (D)
GPA: 3.97
WE:Project Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Indian Profile evaluation [#permalink]
Good company is never a critical criteria.
Join some good social/ NGO to show you work outside you regular works
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
kapil10 wrote:

X stnd: 79% SSC board
XII Stnd (High school): 51% SSC board
Graduation: M.Tech (integrated) in Biotechnology 65% Local university
Job experience: currently I have about 3 years of experience. I have worked with in start-up environment as well and pharmaceutical companies with good brand name such as Lupin ltd. and Serum Institute of India.

Having worked in sales role for a year and in R&D for over two year I wanted to switch towards the management role so started preparing for management exams in India but I realized I was already late to start the preparation for exam that were to be conducted in Nov 2019 and march 2020 so I resigned in September 2019 to prepared well for management entrances unfortunately I could not get through the top B schools in India.

I aspire to do MBA from any of the top 100 B schools and get into management consultancy/related roles. I have been unemployed for around 6 months since I was preparing for the entrances as soon as I realized I was not going to get through I stared applying for jobs and currently, I have job offer from a start up who are into competitive intelligence for Bio-pharmaceutical industry. I don’t know if I should join it or wait until I get into companies with bigger brand value. If everything works out well I plan to work in the company for three years or until I get admit from one of the top 100 B school.

My question to you is have you seen a profile like this get into top 100 B school? Will my work experience in start-up hamper my profile or should I try to get into a company with bigger brand name? And what else can I do to improve my profile since I am planning for an MBA in 2022?

Hello kapil10,

If your list is top 100 - you will not have a problem. Lets objectively look at your profile more from a B-School Admission committee perspective

1. I would want to know whether you are academically inclined to do a course like an MBA - I see you have average acads, however, your experience in research (as much as I understood) will be a value add. Your GMAT score will be extremely important too.

2. Career progression - I would like to understand more about your transition from sales - research - management roles. This is important to understand your strengths and what you would want to do next.

3. Clarity on why an MBA is important to you at this point. What are your post goals? How does that map to what you have done so far?

4. Gaps - I agree it's a long gap, but I would recommend being honest about it. It's also important to start working now. If you are getting an option to work with a startup please go ahead and give your best. You want to learn and show progression. The most important part about your profile is your employability. Schools want to make sure they admit students who have the right skills to easily get a job.

I would not recommend doing any NGO or social work unless you are really passionate about it or have done anything on the same lines in the past. It looks very shallow on your application if you have done something just 3-4 months before your application.

Don't worry about the brand name right now - focus on what you can do to upskill or strengthen your profile with the new job.

Hope this helps,

regards,
Shree
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: Stanford '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Hi Kapil,

With regards to your main question of whether you will be able to get into a top 100 school - provided you have a good supporting GMAT score - yes.

Now about whether you should take up this job or not:

1. Is the job offer good - are you happy with the proposed scope of work? Do you believe that you can make an impact in that role? Are they paying you well?

2. Are you in the final stages of the job search/acceptance process with any other company? Are you likely to receive another offer soon?

If the answers to Q1 is affirmative and q2 is not, then you may take up this offer.

Best,
Karthik

kapil10 wrote:
X stnd: 79% SSC board
XII Stnd: 51% SSC board
Graduation: M.Tech (integrated) in Biotechnology 65% Local university
Job experience: currently I have about 3 years of experience. I have worked with in start-up environment as well and pharmaceutical companies with good brand name in India

Having worked in sales role for a year and in R&D for over two year I wanted to switch towards the management role but I realized I was already late to start the preparation for MBA entrance so I resigned in September month to prepared well for management entrances unfortunately I could not get through the top B schools .
I aspire to do MBA from any of the top 100 B schools around the world and get into management consultancy/related roles. I have been unemployed for around 6 months since I was preparing for the entrances. As soon as I realized I was not going to get through I stared applying for jobs and currently, I have job offer from a start up, who are into competitive intelligence for Bio-pharmaceutical industry. I don’t know if I should join it or wait until I get into companies with bigger brand value. If everything works out well I plan to work in the company for three years or until I get admit from one of the top 100 B school.

My question to you is have you seen a profile like this get into top 100 B school? Will my work experience in start-up hamper my profile or should I try to get into a company with bigger brand name? And what else can I do to improve my profile since I am planning for an MBA in 2022?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 410 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hey there,
If your target is any business school in the Top 100 schools around the world, then there will be plenty of schools you can go for.
Here is a list of tentative schools you can check out:
1)UCLA Anderson School of Management
2)University of Texas at Dallas: Jindal
3)Grenoble Ecole de Management
4)Texas A & M University: Mays
5)William & Mary: Mason

As overall, you have a decent amount of experience working in Start ups to a big brand like Lupin hence, I would advise you to pursue a similar job in a big company and add brand value in your CV in the meantime.

As there is still ample time before you start with the 2022 intake, you should primarily aim at obtaining a good GMAT score 650+ and focus on business MOOCs as the same would provide a good business foundation and open more options.

In the end, I would like to assure you that during the course of my career I have seen plenty of profiles similar to yours get admission in Business schools, Top 100 is a very wide range - I am sure with some work on your profile and the application essays you have a good chance of admittance into one of the Top 30 B-Schools
You can check out our live Q&A webinar. It's a great way to have personalized discussions with one of our consultants and get your doubts resolved regarding your profile and business schools.
You can sign up for it here: https://info.mim-essay.com/qna-web-menu

I hope this helps.
GMAT Club Bot