Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Sciencex   Short Passagex                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [1]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 167
Send PM
The dry mountain ranges of the western United States contain rocks [#permalink]
My paragraph summaries were as follows:

1.Evidence was found indicating/ providing clues to the significant radiations during O.P
(Next author might elaborate the evidence or describe further what role did the radiations play)
2.Author tells us what happens during the radiations
Marine family expanded. Radiations lasted a long while but the changes in species lasted a short while.
3. Predicting the cause of the ordovician radiation through ecological evidence
4.Concluding that the evidence is not enough to make concrete statements on the actual relationship
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Send PM
Re: The dry mountain ranges of the western United States contain rocks [#permalink]
hi gmat ninja i have to tried to comprehend the passage as much as i can, i want you to comprehend the passage so that i can check my comprehension
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Re: The dry mountain ranges of the western United States contain rocks [#permalink]
Can anyone explain me why B is the correct option from Q.5?

B. They may have created conditions favorable to the evolution of many "new life-forms".

Everything looks fine except the "new life forms".As per the passage, radiations are periods when "existing" life-forms gave rise to variations that would eventually evolve into entirely "new species"

Also,in the final sentence - these kinds of environmental changes may have resulted in an enriched pattern of habitats and nutrients, which in turn gave rise to the "Ordovician radiation"

There is no mention of "new life forms" rather they explicitly mentioned "new species"

This is why i eliminated B and chose D, even though it is not completely covered in the passage.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
priyamvada123 wrote:
Can anyone explain me why B is the correct option from Q.5?

B. They may have created conditions favorable to the evolution of many "new life-forms".

Everything looks fine except the "new life forms".As per the passage, radiations are periods when "existing" life-forms gave rise to variations that would eventually evolve into entirely "new species"

Also,in the final sentence - these kinds of environmental changes may have resulted in an enriched pattern of habitats and nutrients, which in turn gave rise to the "Ordovician radiation"

There is no mention of "new life forms" rather they explicitly mentioned "new species"

This is why i eliminated B and chose D, even though it is not completely covered in the passage.

Hey priyamvada123,

I am not sure what is your doubt regarding as the answer to question 5 as the answer is E and not B. So if you could let me know your issue, I would be glad to help you out.

Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 75 [0]
Given Kudos: 163
Schools: IIMA PGPX'23
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39 (Online)
Send PM
The dry mountain ranges of the western United States contain rocks [#permalink]
In Question#2, can anyone explain why the correct answer is not E?

And , in fact, there is evidence of major ecological and geological changes during this period: the sea level dropped drastically and mountain ranges were formed, in this instance, rather than leading to large-scale extinctions, these kinds of environmental changes may have resulted in an enriched pattern of habitats and nutrients, which in turn gave rise to the Ordovician radiation.

Option E states that "They hastened the formation of the extensive dry regions found in the western united states.".
I must say that I was torn between option B and E, but the highlighted portion made me incline towards option E.

Experts VeritasKarishma GMATNinja ? Your thoughts, please :)

Also, how to tackle such questions when these two options are so so close and seem indestructible. :? :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Hiii experts,
Can you please tell me in the 3rd question(The last sentence...) why C is wrong and E is correct because I felt like option C,D and E meant almost the same thing in one way or the other?
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
dontmesswithme wrote:
Hiii experts,
Can you please tell me in the 3rd question(The last sentence...) why C is wrong and E is correct because I felt like option C,D and E meant almost the same thing in one way or the other?

Hi dontmesswithme,

Quote:
it concludes that the evidence presented in the passage is insufficient to support the proposed hypothesis because it comes from a limited geographic area.

Option C is clearly incorrect, because even if we say that that the last sentence is a conclusion, the second part of the sentence is very vague, we cannot infer if the proposed hypothesis comes from a limited geographic area.

Option D
Quote:
it warns the reader against seeing a connection between the biological and geologic changes described in the passage.

The author is not warning any such thing and he is also not against any such relationship. He is simply telling the reader that the information about the information about the relationship between environmental factors and the diversification of life forms is not yet understood.

whereas option E:
Quote:
(E) it alerts the reader that current knowledge cannot completely explain the relationship suggested by the evidence presented in the passage.

is the correct choice,as the author is alerting the reading in the last sentence that the relationship between environmental factors and the diversification of life forms is not yet completely understood.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [0]
Send PM
sssanskaar wrote:
In Question#2, can anyone explain why the correct answer is not E?

And , in fact, there is evidence of major ecological and geological changes during this period: the sea level dropped drastically and mountain ranges were formed, in this instance, rather than leading to large-scale extinctions, these kinds of environmental changes may have resulted in an enriched pattern of habitats and nutrients, which in turn gave rise to the Ordovician radiation.

Option E states that "They hastened the formation of the extensive dry regions found in the western united states.".
I must say that I was torn between option B and E, but the highlighted portion made me incline towards option E.

Experts VeritasKarishma GMATNinja ? Your thoughts, please :)

Also, how to tackle such questions when these two options are so so close and seem indestructible. :? :cry:

Hi sssanskaar,

I'll share my thoughts on the question.

I think B is a better answer than E because in E the word "extensive" is a little extreme. True that the the sea level dropped drastically, we cannot conclude that extensive dry regions found in the western United States, were formed.

B on the other hand is a lot clearer and easily inferable from the lines : "these kinds of environmental changes may have resulted in an enriched pattern of habitats and nutrients, which in turn gave rise to the Ordovician radiation."

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM