Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:38 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Which Program!

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Masters of Science Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 301 [0]
Given Kudos: 75
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: [SOLVED] CBS vs. Booth vs. Kellogg vs. Wharton WL [#permalink]
cswarbrick wrote:
Hi All,

Hope everyone is staying safe.

Was fortunate enough to get in to 9 of the 10 schools I applied to and have narrowed it down to CBS, Booth, and Kellogg.

A couple key notes: My background is in consulting and private equity, I have five years of work experience, and I likely want to re-enter a growth-oriented PE/VC firm after graduation. I am strongly considering getting a JD/MBA to diversify my skillset and retain the possibility of practicing law (which I have always wanted to do to some extent). Each of the aforementioned schools have indicated they are willing to let me reclassify from the traditional 2-year program into their respective 3-year JD/MBA programs.

Would appreciate any thoughts anyone has on which school I should go with!

1 - Congratulations on the admits! Very impressive!

2 - My sketchy attempts at helping ...

Northwestern
3t - USNWR MBA Rank
? (not in top 12) - Finance Specialty Rank
? (not in top 12) - Accounting Specialty Rank
? (not in top 12) - Entrepreneurship Specialty Rank
3 - Management Specialty Rank
8.7% into PE & VC

9 - USNWR JD Rank (overall)
12 - Business Law Specialty Rank (peer assessment rank = 4.1)
12t - Contract Law Specialty Rank (4.2)
3t - Tax Law Specialty Rank (4.3)
3% into private industry (JD only stat)
18% into private industry (JD/MBA only stat)

Chicago
3t - USNWR MBA Rank
2 - Finance Specialty Rank
5 - Accounting Specialty Rank
? (not in top 12) - Management Specialty Rank
8.1% into PE

4t - USNWR JD Rank (overall)
7 - Business Law Specialty Rank (peer assessment rank = 4.3)
1t - Contract Law Specialty Rank (4.7)
7t - Tax Law Specialty Rank (4.0)
2.1% into private industry (4yr avg)

Columbia
8 - USNWR MBA Rank
4 - Finance Specialty Rank
? (not in top 12) - Accounting Specialty Rank
? (not in top 12) - Management Specialty Rank
9.2% into PE, LBOs & VC

4t - USNWR JD Rank (overall)
1 - Business Law Specialty Rank (peer assessment rank = 4.8)
1t - Contract Law Specialty Rank (4.7)
10 - Tax Law Specialty Rank (3.9)
0.7% into private industry

Knowing what very little I know, and if tax law is your primary interest, I would go to Northwestern. Otherwise, pull out a coin and flip over the other two ... probably making sure the coin is weighted to favor Chicago a bit.

And I can strongly see how having a JD elevates to the Partner level more quickly, especially if you are ever going to be lead on raising your own fund.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Always kellogg

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm in a similar situation to you as an existing PE professional looking to reenter the industry post-MBA (just in a different location/different fund). If I were you, I'd just look on LinkedIn to see which school has more alumni at the firms you want to work at and in the city you want to be in. Not being from the U.S., I don't have a good idea of which would come out on top. Would appreciate if you have any thoughts to share on my poll too. All the best!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
Talk to students in both programs at each school. Also considered these 3 programs. Am at CBS. The people were 100% the reason. It was between Booth and CBS for me personally (didn't jive with Kellogg folks at all) and I couldn't be happier. That said, CBS is not for everyone.

PE/VC is well represented at CBS. Great connections. Obviously the JD program is pretty baller here too. Cannot speak for the other schools, but I doubt you'd regret choosing any of the three - and CBS is awesome.

Look to reach out to someone at CBS in the Hermes program. There will be JD/MBAs there very willing to chat with you.

Congrats on your success.

ETA: the person up there that ranked specialties and put ? for CBS specialty rankings didn't seem to figure out we don't have specializations at CBS. You get an MBA - what you want to do with it is up to you.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey everyone! Quick update - wound up getting off the waitlist at Wharton (fortunate enough to say I went 9/10 on acceptances!) and narrowed the choice down to Wharton and Booth. Settled on Booth for a number of different reasons:

1. Gelled much better with the UChicago crowd and all the current students and alums I talked to also spoke effusively about the school. The Whartonites spoke of their experience in positive terms, but always included one or two conditions ("I liked my experience at Wharton but...). To that end, alot of the Wharton students spoke very negatively about the school and its decision to go virtual. Felt a bit too sharp-elbowed for me.

2. I'm originally from the Midwest and am attracted to the region long term.

3. In case the JD/MBA program doesn't work out, I'd like to stay on the private equity track. I viewed Booth as the slightly better finance school, although both schools are obviously fantastic. I realize this is probably contrary to what a lot of people suspect, but some of my research suggested Wharton's success in placing kids in PE has more to do with the type of student/background it attracts than anything else.

4. I think Booth is slightly more ascendant in the rankings and, while I have a tremendous amount of respect for Whartonites, I don't buy into the idea that Wharton is on the same plane as HBS and GSB (and thus on a different plane from UChicago). I don't think the rankings, acceptance rates, job placements, post-grad salary stats, nor any other data points (other than the East Coast and Ivy League affiliations) support the idea that Wharton should be considered entirely separately from the other b schools that aren't HBS and GSB.

5. Situational factors - Wharton announced fairly early on that they were going fully virtual for the entire year. UChicago has at least pretended to be going back to ~50% in person classes. I had a Wharton student reach out to me when Wharton made its announcement and beg me to go to another school, claiming that Wharton "didn't treat its students right."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: CBS vs. Booth vs. Kellogg [#permalink]
6. Forgot to mention one thing - I was super attracted to Booth's bend toward academic / research and its healthy balance between the case method and traditional teachings. I think Booth has three Nobel laureates on staff (and got a 4th last week). This isn't to say I'll be lucky enough to get into a class or lab with one of the laureates, but I've sensed, as I've registered for classes, that the school's ability to attract Nobel-level talent has begotten a chain migration of sorts; many of the younger professors are doing very interesting, cutting edge-type research.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: CBS vs. Booth vs. Kellogg [#permalink]
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts