Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 555-605 Levelx   Conclusionx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4798 [219]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [55]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [9]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by itself, est [#permalink]
Kudos
goalsnr wrote:
Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by itself, establishes a countrys
ability to compete in the international marketplace. Both are required simultaneously since
standards of living can rise because of growing trade deficits and trade can be balanced by
means of a decline in a countrys standard of living.
If the facts stated in the passage above are true, a proper test of a countrys ability to be
competitive is its ability to

A. balance its trade while its standard of living rises

B. balance its trade while its standard of living falls

C. increase trade deficits while its standard of living rises

D. decrease trade deficits while its standard of living falls

E. keep its standard of living constant while trade deficits rise.

Please explain your answers

true test: absense of trade deficit while increasing standard of living -> A
B is incorrect because trade deficit is eliminated at expense of standard of living
C is incorrect because standard of living is increasing at the expense of trade balance
D is incorrect because that's just horrible - huge debt and falling standard of living
E is incorrect because standard of living is funded with trade deficit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: IIMA (PGPX)
Send PM
Re: Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by itself, est [#permalink]
Kudos
understanding the passage:-
Conclusion is : Both factors are required simultaneously .
Premise is : As standards of living increase trade deficit drops. But, when standards decrease then trade deficit

So answers should be saying, there should be a balance between both the parameters. Ideally, both should rise.

If the facts stated in the passage above are true, a proper test of a country's ability to be competitive is its ability to

(A) balance its trade while its standard of living rises - Yes
(B) balance its trade while its standard of living falls - Once increases other falls. OFS
(C) increase trade deficits while its standard of living rises- Once increases while other falls. OFS

(D) decrease trade deficits while its standard of living falls - Once increases while other falls.
(E) keep its standard of living constant while trade deficits rise - Once increases while other is kept constant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 119 [1]
Given Kudos: 152
Schools: Darden '21
GPA: 4
Send PM
Bookmarks
goalsnr wrote:
Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by itself, establishes a country's ability to compete in the international marketplace. Both are required simultaneously since standards of living can rise because of growing trade deficits and trade can be balanced by means of a decline in a country's standard of living.

If the facts stated in the passage above are true, a proper test of a country's ability to be competitive is its ability to

(A) balance its trade while its standard of living rises
(B) balance its trade while its standard of living falls
(C) increase trade deficits while its standard of living rises
(D) decrease trade deficits while its standard of living falls
(E) keep its standard of living constant while trade deficits rise

Please explain your answers

Decoding the argument
"Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by itself, establishes a country's ability to compete in the international marketplace. Both are required simultaneously"[conclusion (rule)]
"since standards of living can rise because of growing trade deficits and trade can be balanced by means of a decline in a country's standard of living." [Premise-supporting the concl]

The question stems asks us to test the country's ability based on the rule mentioned. "A" makes it clear that both are required.
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Hi Expert,
I am confused between option A and B.
As per first statement in stimuli, i need both - rising standard of living and balanced trade to establish country's ability to compete. As per second sentence, if any one of these parameters decline it needs to be compensated by other. IMO, the OA should be B
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 984 [2]
Given Kudos: 1021
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V48
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V47
GMAT 4: 790 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q168 V167

GRE 2: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
adkikani,
Quote:
As per first statement in stimuli, i need both - rising standard of living and balanced trade to establish country's ability to compete. As per second sentence, if any one of these parameters decline it needs to be compensated by other. IMO, the OA should be B

As explained by Alexey1989x, the passage states that both a rising standard of living and balanced trade are required simultaneously to establish a country's ability to compete. If we only know that a country can balance its trade while its standard of living falls (choice B), we do not know whether it can balance its trade while its standard of living rises. Thus, we do not know if it can achieve both requirements simultaneously.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by itself, establishes a country's ability to compete in the international marketplace. Both are required simultaneously since standards of living can rise because of growing trade deficits and trade can be balanced by means of a decline in a country's standard of living.

The first line expresses two conditions for the country to compete in international marketplace. The last lines are only to confuse you so that you chose a wrong answer. The two conditions are rising standards of living with balanced trade.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
adkikani wrote:
Hi Expert,

Can you specify the CR question type please...
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1238 [2]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
omkarmorde

This is an inference question in which we treat the facts given in argument as true and
derive what we can logically infer from it.

Let me know if this helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [1]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
GMATNinja, I am unable to ascertain between choice A and choice E. From the logic presented in the argument, both the options seems good.

Can you please clarify my doubt here?

The only argument that I can figure is - The argument talks about balancing the trade but does not provide any information about keeping standard of living CONSTANT.

is the reasoning correct?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RMD007 wrote:
GMATNinja, I am unable to ascertain between choice A and choice E. From the logic presented in the argument, both the options seems good.

Can you please clarify my doubt here?

The only argument that I can figure is - The argument talks about balancing the trade but does not provide any information about keeping standard of living CONSTANT.

is the reasoning correct?

RMD007, I think you've got it! The passage says that a country needs both 1) a rising standard of living and 2) balanced trade in order to compete in the international marketplace. If a country has a CONSTANT standard of living, then it does not have a RISING standard of living. A country with a CONSTANT standard of living would not meet the first criteria and thus would not be competitive.

That's why (E) should be eliminated, and (A) is the best choice. I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 221 [0]
Given Kudos: 106
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GMAT 1: 480 Q34 V22
Send PM

Reading first sentence gives a very important information which is,
rising standard of living + balanced trade = establishes a country's ability to compete in the international marketplace.

Now I can infer that the standard of living should only go up not down. Hence, I can safely elimionate B and D.

Trade should be balanced and the deficits should not increase. Hence, I can eliminate C and E.

The winner is A, which clearly says that the trade should be balanced and SOL rises.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [2]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi adkikani,

Even I picked B as the answer - but when I read through some of the explanations I realized why I was wrong. The choice between options A and B ,though obvious to people with a good eye, is very tricky . Lets break your query into two parts

WHY IS A THE ANSWER

If you read the first sentence of the questions you can simply decipher that both “a rising standard of living” and “balanced trade” establish a country ability to compete.

This is exactly what A states

WHY IS B NOT THE ANSWER

B just re-states a part of the question which is actually an explanation of how they the two elements can help a country stay competitive and NOT a must be condition for a country to stay competitive.

Think of a good grilled cheese sandwich - you need both good cheese and good bread to make a good grilled cheese, each of them separately cannot make a good grilled cheese. A good cheese can help enhance the taste of bread and a good bread can help enhance/balance the flavour of cheese. But in the end you need both good bread and good cheese to make a good grilled cheese sandwich. It does not mean that if a good bread can balance out the flavour of the cheese its a good grilled cheese, the cheese has to be good too.

Hope this made some sense - brb making a grilled cheese now.

GMATNinja just wanted to check if you think my understanding is correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [1]
Given Kudos: 293
Send PM
Neither a rising standard of living nor balanced trade, by itself, est [#permalink]
Kudos
goalsnr wrote:

Lets analyze the options... and run the POE..
Option B says "balance its trade while its standard of living falls". Now balancing of trade automatically happens when there is a decline in a country's standard of living ( refer to the last sentence of the stimulus)
So the country does not have to anything.

Option C says " increase trade deficits while its standard of living rises". Now " standards of living can rise because of growing trade deficits" . So again the country does not have to do anything.

Option D says " decrease trade deficits while its standard of living falls". Now may be this also happens automatically and the country does not have to do anything because " standards of living can rise because of growing trade deficits" and " standards of living can decrease because of decreasing trade deficits".

Option E talks about keeping standard of living constant which will help the country to be competitive as the country needs "a rising standard of living" and "balanced trade" and not constant "standard of living". So option E is not correct.

So option A is correct.

Please give me kudo s if you liked my explanation.

VeritasKarishma generis ...GMATNinja
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2162 [1]
Given Kudos: 368
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 560 Q41 V26
GMAT 2: 550 Q43 V23
GMAT 3: 650 Q47 V33
GMAT 4: 650 Q44 V36
GMAT 5: 600 Q38 V35
GMAT 6: 710 Q47 V41
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM