Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [7]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [3]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [3]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Trump trying to limit OPT [#permalink]
I thought that the spat was against both OPT and H1B visas
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Trump trying to limit OPT [#permalink]
Kudos
I believe we must all be hopeful of whatever the scenario is going to be. For sure, US would wish to protect the jobs for US natives but it is also a fact that limiting the OPT or targeting the jobs where postgrad students are working won't make much of a difference. I feel that we must all stick onto our plans and have a Plan B in case things don't work out. Though, I would wish things to go back to normal as it were before but we can never tell.

Fingers Crossed!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
But shouldn’t the MSc. applicants rather be worried about OPT than most of the MBA app. are?

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I don’t think things will ever go back to normal ,even if it does it will never be the same again. Though am positive vibes person, this the reality
Now for plan B yeah! you should always have one. Will you be affected anyway,Incase the OPT smackdown materializes?
rimcovinay2552 wrote:
I believe we must all be hopeful of whatever the scenario is going to be. For sure, US would wish to protect the jobs for US natives but it is also a fact that limiting the OPT or targeting the jobs where postgrad students are working won't make much of a difference. I feel that we must all stick onto our plans and have a Plan B in case things don't work out. Though, I would wish things to go back to normal as it were before but we can never tell.

Fingers Crossed!

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [4]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I have been screaming about OPT/H1B and green card wait (of 100 years for Indian citizens) here for some time now. I came to US in 2007 and literally nobody warned me about insanely idiotic american immigration laws are when I moved here; so I'm trying to warn/help others. High level:

1. Only (I repeat ONLY) come to US if you are going to Top 10 schools - chances are that you won't have OPT and H1B lottery (yes it's literally a lottery - US is only insane nation that selects immigrants via lottery - almost all other countries have merit/point based system) selects only 85k out of 300k or so petitions. Assume that you are going to have go back after MBA/Masters

2. Do NOT get into insane debt - chances are that you'll have to pay it back with Indian/Chinese salary

3. If you are looking to start a business, do NOT come to the US at all. Like I said, there's a 100 year wait time to get green card and you can't start a business unless you have green card. You'll be better off going to top schools in Canada or UK if you want to start a business post MBA/MS.

4. While you wait for green card, you are just one layoff away from losing everything, you have 60 days to pack your bags and leave.

5. If you think I'm exaggerating this, google "Green Card Backlog India/China" (PS - I myself I'm in green card line in 2013 - that means I have passed all the background checks and USCIS/DHS checks in 2015 but there are no GC spots for Indians)
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
chiefinance wrote:
I thought that the spat was against both OPT and H1B visas

H1B's have been an area of focus but Tech giants have strong lobbying positions so not as worrysome. Already there are caps, etc.
OPT has never really gotten much of attention (and only expanded with the STEM certifications that all bschols just finished getting) and now this....
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Staphyk wrote:
But shouldn’t the MSc. applicants rather be worried about OPT than most of the MBA app. are?

Why do you feel so? What makes MBA students more insulated than MSc?
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi guys,
You might want to check https://www.vox.com/2020/5/24/21266920/ ... on-student It's an interesting read

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I stand to be corrected bb,prior to the STEM designation of most MBA’s ,Wasn’t mba grads sought after by these companies?
bb wrote:
Staphyk wrote:

Why do you feel so? What makes MBA students more insulated than MSc?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
elPatron434 what’s your view on that?
I personally would want to put my shoes into those of the American job seeker.
Having said that,I think it should be modified to suit the American job seeker,business,univ etc. not a total halt or whatever.
elPatron434 wrote:
Hi guys,
You might want to check https://www.vox.com/2020/5/24/21266920/ ... on-student It's an interesting read

BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [2]

Send PM
Kudos
Staphyk wrote:
elPatron434 what’s your view on that?
I personally would want to put my shoes into those of the American job seeker.
Having said that,I think it should be modified to suit the American job seeker,business,univ etc. not a total halt or whatever.
elPatron434 wrote:
Hi guys,

To be frank, I don't know if I've got my data points straight to have an honest opinion on this. I'd have to check the impact of the covid on tech and consulting ( mainly what international students recruit for ) and look at how many people have been let go.

The eCommerce space in my view encompasses a variety of sectors. You have Amazon which has been fairly resilient while there are other US based compnies who are into travel and experiences and have been hit very hard. A student entering either of the organizations would be classified as moving into tech to the best of my knowledge. bb, please correct me on this.

Based on data points like this I'd love to know the overall impact on the American citizen. If there's not a significant impact, I'd be very disappointed with a blanket ban on recruitment in these sectors. Otherwise I'd understand if there's some sort of restrictions imposed on the international students.

While I'd love for these constraints not to exist, it'd be incredibly foolish and illogical of me to not expect some sort preference for the American worker.

One major thing worth watching would be the sentiment of hiring organizations. Even if there are no explicit restrictions on the hiring of international students for roles, it would be interesting to see if companies actually want to sponsor MBA candidates. The pool of the MBA unlike that of the MS(atleast in the computer science related streams) is predominantly domestic and the companies (probably the smaller ones) might feel that they have a bigger pool of domestic candidates for a requisite skillset to choose from and might not want to risk the hassle of hiring an international candidate. I would love to know the thoughts of current students on this.

I concur with bb and feel that the situation is grim for the international student (particularly from places with a weaker currency).

I hope I made sense!
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [4]

Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
I was hesitating posting this yesterday and waited half a day to actually post it because I didn’t want to speculate without clear information. However now that the cat is out of the bag, We can only speculate. It’s not clear what kind of limitations will be done to the OPT and who they will impact. However, if they are substantial, Such as the limitations that have been recently introduced in the UK and subsequently are being removed, The OPT may get trimmed from 12 months down to four months. It is also possible that only some industries will get infected or only citizens of some countries. Apparently 1/3 of all international students in the United States are from China. Trump seems to have a spat with China. Perhaps it may be limited to Chinese citizens.

Technically one doesn’t have to have OPT to get a job in the US. All you have to do is lineup a job before graduation and apply for H1B. However, without OPT, one is screwed if they don’t have a job at graduation.

I will also not underestimate ingenuity of business schools. Many have incorporated internships and CPT as a required part of the program to shield international students from rules that require 9 months presence in the country to be eligible for CPT. I wonder if they can make a second CPT at the end of the program required for one year? This means that some people may not get their diplomas and take a graduate but the only requirement would be a year worth of work. I would love to see that ?

In any case, this change is annoying. Between the zoom classes and this, the NBA in the United States is looking less and less attractive.

Hi bb,
Can we please have a GMAT club YouTube session on this? Since Souvik and Sam (or any current or recently graduated student) are seeing this first hand and are recruiting/have recently recruited, their views would be highly beneficial to prospective students.

Just a thought!

Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I second this
elPatron434 wrote:
bb wrote:
I was hesitating posting this yesterday and waited half a day to actually post it because I didn’t want to speculate without clear information. However now that the cat is out of the bag, We can only speculate. It’s not clear what kind of limitations will be done to the OPT and who they will impact. However, if they are substantial, Such as the limitations that have been recently introduced in the UK and subsequently are being removed, The OPT may get trimmed from 12 months down to four months. It is also possible that only some industries will get infected or only citizens of some countries. Apparently 1/3 of all international students in the United States are from China. Trump seems to have a spat with China. Perhaps it may be limited to Chinese citizens.

Technically one doesn’t have to have OPT to get a job in the US. All you have to do is lineup a job before graduation and apply for H1B. However, without OPT, one is screwed if they don’t have a job at graduation.

I will also not underestimate ingenuity of business schools. Many have incorporated internships and CPT as a required part of the program to shield international students from rules that require 9 months presence in the country to be eligible for CPT. I wonder if they can make a second CPT at the end of the program required for one year? This means that some people may not get their diplomas and take a graduate but the only requirement would be a year worth of work. I would love to see that ?

In any case, this change is annoying. Between the zoom classes and this, the NBA in the United States is looking less and less attractive.

Hi bb,
Can we please have a GMAT club YouTube session on this? Since Souvik and Sam (or any current or recently graduated student) are seeing this first hand and are recruiting/have recently recruited, their views would be highly beneficial to prospective students.

Just a thought!

Thanks!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Thank you for the recommendation - it is a good question. I will definitely communicate and request, but you know "the talent" has a mind of its own and very particular about the Video topics :lol:

elPatron434 wrote:
bb wrote:

Hi bb,

Just a thought!

Thanks!
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [5]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HA!

This sounds like a good topic and I would love to talk about this. Let me gather some of my international student friends to see if we can get a panel going!
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]

Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
HA!

This sounds like a good topic and I would love to talk about this. Let me gather some of my international student friends to see if we can get a panel going!

Thanks Souvik!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.1
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hello fellas,
is this topic serious? what is the source? where can we follow the details?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5