Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:32 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Re: Pronouns: Debunking Popular Myths: Intro [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhik1502 wrote:
As per earlier posts about "Myth 1 : A Pronoun can refer to only nearest nount", below sentence dont have any ambiguity. Here "it" and "its: refer to "manfacturerer" only.
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

But if we place "computer chips" in place of "its" then that also make sence and it leads to ambiguity for second pronoun usage.

Will someone pls clarify about this.

Hello abhik1502,

I will be glad to help you with this one. :-)

Please note that computer chips is a plural noun entity. There is no way we can replace the singular pronoun its with plural noun computer chips in this official sentence as doing so will lead to pronoun-antecedent number agreement error.

The singular form of computer chips is computer chip.

Hope this helps. :-)
Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Thanks a lot Shraddha for answering my earlier query !

I had one more. Below sentence is from Myth4

Official Sentence 2: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals. (OG12 #07)

Out there as per intended meaning pronoun "its" refers to company. But why can it refer to market also. Market is also singular noun out here and make sense also.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Pronouns: Debunking Popular Myths: Intro [#permalink]
Expert Reply
abhik1502 wrote:
Thanks a lot Shraddha for answering my earlier query !

I had one more. Below sentence is from Myth4

Official Sentence 2: As its sales of computer products have surpassed those of measuring instruments, the company has become increasingly willing to compete for the mass market sales it would in the past have conceded to rivals. (OG12 #07)

Out there as per intended meaning pronoun "its" refers to company. But why can it refer to market also. Market is also singular noun out here and make sense also.

Hello abhik1502,

Thank you for the query. :-)

Presence of multiple nouns having the same number as the pronoun does not lead to pronoun ambiguity.

Pronoun ambiguity error happens when more than two nouns makes logical sense as the antecedent of one pronoun.

Now let's talk about the pronoun reference in the official sentence that you have mentioned in your post.

The sentence Presents cause-and-effect.

Cause - Sales of computer products have surpassed the sales of measuring instruments.
Effect - The company is ready to compete with its rivals for mass market sales. This will to compete is something that this company would have conceded to its rival.

So the company has decided to compete because its sales have gone up and not the market's sales. So logically, its refer to company only.

Grammatically, its cannot refer to market because pronouns can reefer to only nouns. But in this sentence the word market has been used as an adjective. The phrase mass market presents more information about sales.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
"The King of Greece has a son, people are afraid of him."
Can "him" refer to both "the king" and "white tiger"?
IIM School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1237 [0]
Given Kudos: 1207
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Pronouns: Debunking Popular Myths: Intro [#permalink]
somasarkar123

Welcome to GmatClub!

We need the noun to which the pronoun refers to be present in
the sentence.

In your sentence, him is ambiguous since it can refer both
son and King.

Also the sentence structure is incorrect since we need FANBOYS to
connect two independent sentences.

Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V45
Send PM
Hi, I have a quick question regarding pronouns.

Was reading through MGMAT SC and one of the examples used to explain 'those, that, this, these" was:
The money spent by her parents is less than THAT spent by her children.

Which lead me to thinking, which of the following sentence structures is more grammatically correct, and why?
1) The money spent by her is less than that spent by her children
2) The money she spent is less than that spent by her children

(1) follows the parallel structure but sounds extremely awkward to me.

Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 122 [0]
Given Kudos: 658
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
santy wrote:
Hi eGmat,
Thanks for the pronoun myth buster article. +1 kudos!

I've a doubt about 'white tiger' excercise question.

egmat wrote:

iv. The White Tiger is nicknamed “the Lightning” because it moves very quickly.

The pronoun “it” is ambiguous in its usage. It is not clear if “it” refers to “White Tiger” or “Lightning”. Observe that both the following sentences make perfect sense.

a. The White Tiger is nicknamed “the Lightning” because the white tiger moves very quickly.
b. The White Tiger is nicknamed “the Lightning” because lightning moves very quickly.

So there is a pronoun usage error in this sentence.

The White Tiger is nicknamed “the Lightning” because it moves very quickly.

I thought this sentence is unambiguous because 'white tiger' is the only logical antecedent of 'it'.

As sentence clearly mentions, 'the lightning' is a nickname given to white tiger.
So how can a nickname be a possible antecedent of the pronoun 'it'?

You mentioned that the sentence - 'the lightning' moves quickly - is fine. But it is not the actual lightning, but rather a nickname. How can a nickname move quickly?

I searched through GMATPrep SC document to find similar sentences, but didn't find any.
I would appreciate if you could clarify the doubt and share some official sentences in which a pronoun is refering to the meaning of a nickname rather than to the nickname itself.

- Santy.

Hi,

I would appreciate if anybody could explain why the pronoun is ambiguous. As Santy pointed out, the nickname cannot move quickly. On the other hand, we know what " The Lightning" is - the tiger - so, having that in mind, it makes clear that both inputs refer to the tiger. What's wrong with this reasoning?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
Send PM
Hi,

Great article!

I just have one doubt regarding pronoun-"If an antecedent is a noun having a modifier, does the pronoun refer to the noun or noun + modifier"

I believe 'it'/'its' and 'they'/'them'/their' should refer to the whole noun phrase while 'that' and 'those' should refer to the noun only. Am I correct?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Official Sentence: The intricate structure of the compound insect eye, with its hundreds of miniature eyes called ommatidia, helps explain why scientists have assumed that it evolved independently of the vertebrate eye. (OG13 #07)

Why is in this sentence the second "it" not considered as ambigous?
Because to me the sentence would perfectly sound logical if I substitute "ommatidia" for it

"helps epxlain why scientists have assumed that ommatidia evolved ..."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Given Kudos: 146
Send PM
Hi egmat,

Regarding Myth 3: Antecedent of a pronoun cannot lie in Prepositional Phrase.

Quote:
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

In OG 18 #759, https://gmatclub.com/forum/fossils-of-the-arm-of-a-sloth-found-in-puerto-rico-in-1991-and-dated-77781.html,
the official explanation for (A) is "Because sloth is the object of a preposition and not the subject of the sentence, there is no reasonable antecedent for the pronoun it;"

Blatantly, they have explained that pronoun can't refer to prep phrase. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
e-GMAT Representative
Send PM
Expert Reply
jkbk1732 wrote:
Hi egmat,

Regarding Myth 3: Antecedent of a pronoun cannot lie in Prepositional Phrase.

Quote:
Fossils of the arm of a sloth found in Puerto Rico in 1991, and dated at 34 million years old, made it the earliest known mammal of the Greater Antilles islands.

In OG 18 #759, https://gmatclub.com/forum/fossils-of-the-arm-of-a-sloth-found-in-puerto-rico-in-1991-and-dated-77781.html,
the official explanation for (A) is "Because sloth is the object of a preposition and not the subject of the sentence, there is no reasonable antecedent for the pronoun it;"

Blatantly, they have explained that pronoun can't refer to prep phrase. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Hello jkbk1732,

I sincerely apologize for the late revert.

Here is my take on the explanation. The official explanations, in my humble opinion, are very unreliable. In fact, they are even incorrect. This is one such explanation.

The pronoun it itself is the object of the verb made. Why cannot it refer to a noun in an object place? Choice A does not have any pronoun issue. It is incorrect because the subject Fossils does not make sense with the verb made. The fossils did not make the sloth the earliest known mammal. The age of the fossil does so.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Hi -
This sentence is deemed to have pronoun ambiguity because of the use of "it." egmat says that "it" can logically refer to both "Algebra" and "the concept of fractions"

Quote:
Every student must put more effort while studying it because if a student does not have a good grasp on the concept of fractions, the student will face difficulty in understanding Algebra.

However, I don't think "it" could refer to Algebra, because then the causal relationship does not make sense. How does the fact that "if a student does not have a good grasp on the concept of fractions, the student will face difficulty in understanding Algebra" lead to the conclusion "Every student must put more effort while studying Algebra"? If "it" refers to Algebra, then this bit " because if a student does not have a good grasp on the concept of fractions" is irrelevant, and the causal relationship does not make sense. I might as well replace "the concept of fractions" with "the study of the Earth" or whatever. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Send PM
King George is the ruler of the largest empire, its size as large as a continent

Here,Empire's size is compared to continent but not continent's size. The entities here aren't logically parallel right? Am i missing something here?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 243 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GPA: 4
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi egmat

I want to take below sentence from your myth2.
The budget for education reflects the administration's demand that the money be controlled by local school districts, but it allows them to spend the money only on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

I agree with usage of them.
But why "it" can't refer to administration, the sentence will still make sense.
Administration allows local school districts to spend money only on teachers, not on books, computers, or other materials or activities.

Kindly explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hi eGMAT,

Official Sentence 2: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

Why can ” its ” not refer to computer chips in this sentence? I think referring to computer chips will also make sense.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts