Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:42 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Volunteer Expert
Re: The limiting sum of the infinite series [m][fraction]1/2[/fraction] + [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello again, Asad. I wanted to outline my approach to the question, in case it differs from your own or that of any onlooker. I typically favor a more intuitive approach than a rigorous mathematical approach. In the question at hand, I started by converting all the fractions to thirty-seconds and adding:

\(\frac{16}{32}+\frac{24}{32}+\frac{20}{32}+\frac{14}{32}+\frac{9}{32}=\frac{83}{32}\)

Now, our next fraction would be in sixty-fourths, per the pattern, and the numerator would be 11. To put this value together with the earlier sum in a meaningful way, I converted the earlier answer to sixty-fourths:

\(\frac{11}{64}+\frac{166}{64}=\frac{177}{64}\)

At this point, we have a decimal value that would lie between 2 and 3, but closer to the 3 end, since

\(64*3=192\)

Looking at the answer choices, we can eliminate (A) since that is already too low. How do we know?

\(64*2+32<177\)

We can also appreciate, without doing more math, that the sum will grow in smaller and smaller increments, and our last term was already about one-sixth. Thus, it appears as though our sum will converge on 3. Still, for the inner fact-checker, we could go on. In terms of sixty-fourths, we have 15 more to add in the numerator (to get from 177 to 192), and that is going to take multiple steps. The next two terms would give us

\(\frac{13}{128}+\frac{15}{256}\)

or, in terms of sixty-fourths, the numerators would be

\(\frac{13}{2}+\frac{15}{4}=\frac{41}{4}\)

Closer still, as we would have just 4.75 more to go to get our numerator to 192. But to be honest, I see no way that, in keeping with this pattern, the numerator will increase to 192 and another 32 (half of 64) to get us up to answer (C). Although I would have selected my answer already, if I had not before, I would feel confident choosing (B), confirming, and moving on to the next challenge.

Thank you for sharing the question. What is the source, if you do not mind my asking?

- Andrew
Re: The limiting sum of the infinite series [m][fraction]1/2[/fraction] + [#permalink]
The source is 'Quantum GMAT'... Already source mentioned in the spoiler. This question has been designed for them who are targeting Q51! Thanks..
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6858 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
The source is 'Quantum GMAT'... Already source mentioned in the spoiler. This question has been designed for them who are targeting Q51! Thanks..

Ah, the spoiler that I sometimes cannot get to work. I am not sure if it is a browser issue or a computer issue, but sometimes I click on the spoiler or the OA/OE and get nothing. It worked this time, so I feel foolish. (Oh well.) I would like to hit a 51 in Quant myself. Maybe later this year, once matters settle down, I will put myself to the test and get a Verified Score to post... hopefully with a pair of 51s to show for the effort. Time will tell.

- Andrew
Kudos
MentorTutoring wrote:
Asad wrote:

Ah, the spoiler that I sometimes cannot get to work. I am not sure if it is a browser issue or a computer issue, but sometimes I click on the spoiler or the OA/OE and get nothing. It worked this time, so I feel foolish. (Oh well.) I would like to hit a 51 in Quant myself. Maybe later this year, once matters settle down, I will put myself to the test and get a Verified Score to post... hopefully with a pair of 51s to show for the effort. Time will tell.

- Andrew

good luck for you so that you can get q51! in the mean time you can see the explanation from the following link (if you need..)

https://www.facebook.com/gmatquantum/vi ... 560222132/
Attachments

GMAT Quantum.PNG
GMAT Quantum.PNG [ 34.56 KiB | Viewed 1259 times ]

Volunteer Expert
Kudos
Expert Reply
Asad wrote:
MentorTutoring wrote:
Asad wrote:

- Andrew

good luck for you so that you can get q51! in the mean time you can see the explanation from the following link (if you need..)

Thank you for the well wishes, as well as for the link. (I am not on Facebook, so I would not have found anything on my own that way.) Kudos from me for all the help.

- Andrew
MentorTutoring wrote:
Asad wrote:
MentorTutoring wrote:
[quote="Asad"]The source is 'Quantum GMAT'... Already source mentioned in the spoiler. This question has been designed for them who are targeting Q51! Thanks..

- Andrew

Thank you for the well wishes, as well as for the link. (I am not on Facebook, so I would not have found anything on my own that way.) Kudos from me for all the help.

- Andrew[/quote]
I think you should not have any facebook ID to watch that video! if you click on this link it'll be automatically started..

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Problem Solving (PS) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92912 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts