Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32891 [8]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 678
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.3
WE:Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32891 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: XLRI
Send PM
Re: The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural [#permalink]
Kudos
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hea234ven wrote:
need explanation for q1. For q2 , i was confused between A and C.

Official Explanation

1. In the context in which it appears, the word “informed” (Highlighted) most nearly means

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because “assiduous” means diligent, which is irrelevant here.

Choice (B) is wrong because the people studying art do not have to be “artistic.”

Choice (C) is a trap built on the uniqueness of the Parthenon, but “informed” is not describing the Parthenon.

Choice (D) is correct because “erudite” means knowledgeable, and knowledge would allow someone viewing the frieze to recognize its unique qualities.

Choice (E) is wrong because this is a question of knowledge, not applying technical, or “scientific,” skills.

Answer: D

2. Which of the following would be the best title for the above passage?

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because many of its characteristics have in fact been worked out.

Choice (B) is wrong because the passage is not primarily about artistic interpretation.

Choice (C) is correct because “idiosyncratic” is a synonym for unique, and the frieze is said to be unique in two ways.

Choice (D) is incorrect because only one paragraph discusses the existence of mortals in the frieze and because this title is much too broad.

Choice (E) is a trap: all sides of the frieze are continuous, not the individual characters.

Answer: C

Hope it helps

Hi, Could you also post the solution for the third question?

I am stuck between C and D. Could not find evidence to support either...Both are given for Patheorn Frieze but none for the Patheon itself in my opinion. Please help
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32891 [3]
Send PM
The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Quote:

Hi, Could you also post the solution for the third question?

I am stuck between C and D. Could not find evidence to support either...Both are given for Patheorn Frieze but none for the Patheon itself in my opinion. Please help

Official Explanation

3. According to the passage, each of the following is true about the Parthenon EXCEPT:

Difficulty Level: 700

Explanation

Choice (A) is incorrect because the first sentence indicates that the Parthenon was constructed in the “High Classical Period.”

Choice (B) is incorrect because the same sentence says that the Parthenon was “regarded as a great architectural and artistic product.”

Choice (C) is incorrect because the frieze is said to have come from the “temple-chamber” of the Parthenon.

Choice (D) is correct because the passage says only that it is “difficult to study” the frieze because not all of it survives “today” and the surviving parts are in different locations. This doesn’t necessarily mean that today’s scholars don’t know what the missing portions looked like at the time of construction (perhaps drawings of the Parthenon survive, for example).

Choice (E) is incorrect because the frieze is described as “unique” and defined as a “structural element” of the Parthenon.

Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 77
Send PM
Re: The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural [#permalink]
Are we expected to know the meaning of these words ?

1. Erudite
2. Assiduous
Volunteer Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 6857 [1]
Given Kudos: 500
Kudos
Expert Reply
Adityasekar wrote:
Are we expected to know the meaning of these words ?

1. Erudite
2. Assiduous

Hello, Adityasekar. If this were GRE® practice, I would say for sure, you would need to know such words. For GMAT™ practice, though, just learn what you can from the question, add a word or two to your vocabulary, and practice honing your reading skills. Although words such as erudite or assiduous might appear in a GMAT™ passage, the context would suggest their meaning, and I cannot think of an example of an official question in which an upper-level word is provided in isolation like this among the answer choices. To reiterate, that does not make the question a worthless exercise--maybe if you came across a GMAT™ passage with the word assiduous in it, you would already know the meaning--but the question is one that is less indicative of what you can expect to see on this particular test.

- Andrew
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hea234ven wrote:
need explanation for q1. For q2 , i was confused between A and C.

Official Explanation

1. In the context in which it appears, the word “informed” (Highlighted) most nearly means

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because “assiduous” means diligent, which is irrelevant here.

Choice (B) is wrong because the people studying art do not have to be “artistic.”

Choice (C) is a trap built on the uniqueness of the Parthenon, but “informed” is not describing the Parthenon.

Choice (D) is correct because “erudite” means knowledgeable, and knowledge would allow someone viewing the frieze to recognize its unique qualities.

Choice (E) is wrong because this is a question of knowledge, not applying technical, or “scientific,” skills.

2. Which of the following would be the best title for the above passage?

Explanation

Choice (A) is wrong because many of its characteristics have in fact been worked out.

Choice (B) is wrong because the passage is not primarily about artistic interpretation.

Choice (C) is correct because “idiosyncratic” is a synonym for unique, and the frieze is said to be unique in two ways.

Choice (D) is incorrect because only one paragraph discusses the existence of mortals in the frieze and because this title is much too broad.

Choice (E) is a trap: all sides of the frieze are continuous, not the individual characters.

Answer: C

Hope it helps

Hi, I am still not convinced about Option E being wrong.....As per OE, They are continuous rather than individual, and that is what Option E talks about ..Continuity of character...

I did not choose Option C as i was not aware of meaning of idiosyncratic....

Can someone Pl explain in detail why E is wrong for Q2
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
The Parthenon has long been regarded as one of the great architectural [#permalink]
SajjadAhmad

Q.1 Is clearly a question testing your vocabulary. Do such questions appear on the GMAT? Because as far as I know, GMAT RCs are more to do with comprehension that vocabulary. Even if "big words" are used in the passage we can infer its meaning through the sentences and idea of the passage. But here we are given "unfamiliar" words in the answer option - clearly no way to infer the meaning
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32891 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:
SajjadAhmad

Q.1 Is clearly a question testing your vocabulary. Do such questions appear on the GMAT? Because as far as I know, GMAT RCs are more to do with comprehension that vocabulary. Even if "big words" are used in the passage we can infer its meaning through the sentences and idea of the passage. But here we are given "unfamiliar" words in the answer option - clearly no way to infer the meaning

You are right, this is a GRE passage basically and GMAT doesn't ask for the vocabulary. One can skip question like this for the purpose of the GMAT.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts