Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 87
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11665 [1]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1256 [0]
Given Kudos: 402
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Re: Feeling defeated, what should I do next? (Second attempt 550) [#permalink]
Your verbal score seems consistent, so let's focus on quant score.

You can purchase gmatclub subscription and practice quant from there. Alternatively, use TTP quant or exampal quant to boost your Quant reasoning.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Kudos
Friend, stay strong.

Not all of us are 1.90m. Not all of us can write poetry, or write code. Different brains work differently on different things. And if anyone thinks I'm bullshitting, read up some neuroscience.

Right now, you are being tested. What someone else can do in 100 hours, you need 300 hours to do. So be it. The odds are against you. So be it.

Honestly, I have no practical advice for you. The only thing I can say to is: Do not give up. Do not accept defeat. Do not just let it go. No... Not until you try again. Not until you know you have done your best. Build up that discipline. Figure out new things. Take that last bullet, aim and shoot it. Shoot, until it doesn't shoot no more.

Good luck. Stay strong.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22049 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi sofiagg,

I’m sorry to hear about how things went with the GMAT. Just try to hang in there my friend. I think if you can give yourself a few more months of smart, dedicated prep, you CAN improve your GMAT score. Regarding how to move forward, you should try to follow a study plan that allows you to learn GMAT quant and verbal from the ground up. In other words, follow a study plan that allows you to learn each GMAT quant and verbal topic individually and then practice each topic until you've gained mastery. To study in this way, you may consider using some additional resources. To see what is available take a look at the GMAT Club reviews for the best quant and verbal courses, and also read through some GMAT success stories to see what materials have worked well for other test-takers. Also, would you like some general advice on how to improve your verbal and quant skills?

You also may find it helpful to read the following articles:

The Phases of Preparing for the GMAT

The Surprising Factor that is the Key to Hitting Your GMAT Score Goal: Grit

Good luck!
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1813 [0]
Given Kudos: 763
WE:Sales (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
sofiagg wrote:
Hey guys, I need your advice. Yesterday was my second attempt at the GMAT and I failed.

Background: I started my preparation back in November 2019. I needed a decent GMAT score (anything above 600) to apply to a Msc in my dream school. I bought the OG guide 2020 thinking that was enough for me (oh boy I was wrong :shock: ). I didn't understand the majority of topics tested but I haven't any idea about how to properly prepare for the exam (I didn't know there were prep options available ). Anyway, I found out about GmatClub just before my first attempt in January. I started looking for prep options and I went for "Foundations of Math" and the complete MGMAT guides. In the mean time, I decided to take my scheduled exam anyway as I couldn't postpone it anymore. As you can imagine it was a disaster, I scored a poor 440 (Q17, V32) on the real exam.

Fortunately, I was very motivated and that horrible score only encouraged me to do better. This time I studied for 4 solid months. I had a lot of time to dedicate and I studied for 4-5 hours everyday (after that I start to lose focus). I first covered my basics with Foundation of Math for a solid month doing all the drills multiple times. Then, I went through each of the guide front to cover. I tried to make sure that I was comfortable with a topic before moving on the next one (I did the exercises on the OG according to the topic I just covered using the timer of GMATClub to keep track of my responses and timing). After I completed the majority of the books for quant I took a CAT: 510. Finally, I started to see some results and the progress that I was making. I found the MGMAT guides very useful and easy to follow.
I list my GMATprep CAT's results:
610 (37Q, 37V)
630 (41Q, 35V)
600 (40Q, 32V)
620 (43Q, 33V) - two days before the actual GMAT.

The day before the exam I only did a light review of my notes and some exercises, nothing crazy. I went to sleep early and it was all good. In the morning of my exam the anxiety kicked in as I knew this attempt was my last shot before having to wait a whole year to attend a Msc at my dream school. Anyway, I went in, confident to get a score around 600. I started my exam with quant. For 2/3 of the section the questions asked were similar to those I usually solved at home (I got one probability and one combination question).
The last questions (~10) were very easy (fractions and very basic DS question), so I knew something went horribly wrong. Verbal was normal.

I ended up with 550 (Q32, V34). I couldn't believe my eyes.

Needless to say, now I'm kind of lost. I need to wait this fall round of selections to apply again and hope to have a 600 score by then. I'm not sure if I should try again with MGMAT guides or what. Also, I almost run out of OG questions. I still have a lot of time to dedicate to prep, and I would like to give me another 2-3 months of serious studying. I feel demotivated now, but I really don't want to give up. What should I do?

Your quant seems to have played a spoilsport here. Assuming that you have reviewed all your mocks and found a pattern, you must look into ESR now and hopefully see a similar pattern. This way you can improve Quant in the least amount of time. If there's no pattern then consider 'Thursday's with Ron' videos if self preparing or go for test prep companies' product. Try their trials, there are many on this forum.
Stern School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 539 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
sofiagg wrote:
Hey guys, I need your advice. Yesterday was my second attempt at the GMAT and I failed.

Background: I started my preparation back in November 2019. I needed a decent GMAT score (anything above 600) to apply to a Msc in my dream school. I bought the OG guide 2020 thinking that was enough for me (oh boy I was wrong :shock: ). I didn't understand the majority of topics tested but I haven't any idea about how to properly prepare for the exam (I didn't know there were prep options available ). Anyway, I found out about GmatClub just before my first attempt in January. I started looking for prep options and I went for "Foundations of Math" and the complete MGMAT guides. In the mean time, I decided to take my scheduled exam anyway as I couldn't postpone it anymore. As you can imagine it was a disaster, I scored a poor 440 (Q17, V32) on the real exam.

Fortunately, I was very motivated and that horrible score only encouraged me to do better. This time I studied for 4 solid months. I had a lot of time to dedicate and I studied for 4-5 hours everyday (after that I start to lose focus). I first covered my basics with Foundation of Math for a solid month doing all the drills multiple times. Then, I went through each of the guide front to cover. I tried to make sure that I was comfortable with a topic before moving on the next one (I did the exercises on the OG according to the topic I just covered using the timer of GMATClub to keep track of my responses and timing). After I completed the majority of the books for quant I took a CAT: 510. Finally, I started to see some results and the progress that I was making. I found the MGMAT guides very useful and easy to follow.
I list my GMATprep CAT's results:
610 (37Q, 37V)
630 (41Q, 35V)
600 (40Q, 32V)
620 (43Q, 33V) - two days before the actual GMAT.

The day before the exam I only did a light review of my notes and some exercises, nothing crazy. I went to sleep early and it was all good. In the morning of my exam the anxiety kicked in as I knew this attempt was my last shot before having to wait a whole year to attend a Msc at my dream school. Anyway, I went in, confident to get a score around 600. I started my exam with quant. For 2/3 of the section the questions asked were similar to those I usually solved at home (I got one probability and one combination question).
The last questions (~10) were very easy (fractions and very basic DS question), so I knew something went horribly wrong. Verbal was normal.

I ended up with 550 (Q32, V34). I couldn't believe my eyes.

Needless to say, now I'm kind of lost. I need to wait this fall round of selections to apply again and hope to have a 600 score by then. I'm not sure if I should try again with MGMAT guides or what. Also, I almost run out of OG questions. I still have a lot of time to dedicate to prep, and I would like to give me another 2-3 months of serious studying. I feel demotivated now, but I really don't want to give up. What should I do?

Some positive that your verbal score is decent . So need to tackle the quant part and trust me that is not difficult at all . You just need to spend 2 months to solidify your learnings and application skills of quant.
Off course you should try one more attempt with more realistic Mocks .
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts