Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 08:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 08:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [7]
Given Kudos: 9464
Send PM
Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [2]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 600 Q50 V22
GMAT 2: 670 Q50 V28 (Online)
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 888 [3]
Given Kudos: 354
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V27
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Engineering (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Re: Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in [#permalink]
Kudos
generis wrote:

Project SC Butler: Sentence Correction (SC1)

For SC butler Questions Click Here

Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls that enable the ant populations to grow.

A) that enable the ant populations to grow

B) for ant populations to grow

C) for growing ant populations

D) that enable ant populations to grow

E) that the ant populations can grow

I would go with B on this one.

"that enable" would mean that without those conditions the ant populations are unable to grow. Just that the ideal conditions are met with large amounts of moisture and darkness.

B says it X creates conditions for Y to do Z - Perfect no issues imo.

Answer - B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 185 [4]
Given Kudos: 140
Send PM
Re: Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls that enable the ant populations to grow.

POE:
Eliminate (A),(D) &(E) - 'that' is ambiguous.
Eliminate (C) - change of meaning

OR

You can eliminate choices on the basis of meaning. Differences are quite easily visible here.

B) for ant populations to grow -CORRECT

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1034 [1]
Given Kudos: 1091
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
Send PM
Kudos
we are not talking about any specific ant populations hence A is out.
Between B and D, I feel B is intending a wrong meaning. It's insinuating that these conditions are specifically curated to grow the ants. The "that" in d isn't an issue as it can only refer back to the plural antecedent "ideal conditions"

IMO, D.

Originally posted by Kritisood on 31 May 2020, 06:38.
Last edited by Kritisood on 31 May 2020, 07:40, edited 1 time in total.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 683 [2]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Kudos

A) that enable the ant populations to grow - Incorrect, as it refers to specific ant populations

B) for ant populations to grow - Incorrect, as it => that the conditions are specifically being created for the ant populations.

C) for growing ant populations - Incorrect, use of growing is wrong.

D) that enable ant populations to grow - Correct.

E) that the ant populations can grow - Incorrect, it should be : "so that".
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 269 [1]
Given Kudos: 22
GMAT 1: 580 Q42 V27
Send PM
Kudos
A) that enable the ant populations to grow 'the ant populations' here the refers to a specific ant population.Wrong

B) for ant populations to growAs the conditions are created to help in growing ant population

C) for growing ant populations same error as B

D) that enable ant populations to growCorrect

E) that the ant populations can grow what that refers here.Wrong
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 166
Send PM
Kudos
Large amounts
of moisture and darkness(Prepositional Pharse Modifing Amounts)
create (Verb)
ideal conditions (object of Create)
in home walls ( Modifying Conditions)
that enable the ant populations to grow. ( Realtive Clause, enable - verb, That- Subject)

Error:
The ant population. ( the - article refers to specific ant popultaion).

The sentence as is means:
The ideal conditions enable a specific ant population to grow. That's not the intent.

Option A Incorrect

Option B
for ant populations to grow Means the ideal conditions are created for ant populations to grow. That's not the intent.

Option C
for growing ant populations
Same error as Option B

Option D
that enable ant populations to grow. Removes the error of the and generalize it.

Correct option is D

Option E

that the ant populations can grow

Dependent Clause, cause and result is lost.

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [2]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Kudos
Well, deciphering the intended meaning of the sentence is a half-done success. The remaining half comes from synthesizing the literal meanings of choices and choosing the one that delivers the indented meaning most unambiguously.

The process of inferring the intended meaning:

Part I. “ideal conditions” for what? For ant populations themselves or for their growth? Ant populations can do many other things even under bad conditions, but their growth needs good ones. So, “ideal conditions” must be for their growth, not for themselves.

Part II. What does “in home walls” hint at? Most probably, at the ant populations in home walls. So, “large amounts of moisture and darkness” are NOT ideal conditions for ant populations in general, but exactly for those in home walls. Perhaps ant populations in deserts prefer different conditions.

Let’s see which choice delivers both parts of the intended meaning above. First, we juxtapose A and D since they are almost identical:

Quote:
A) Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls that enable the ant populations to grow.
D) Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls that enable ant populations to grow.

In both, “that enable” refers to the prepositional phrase “ideal conditions in home walls”. So, “ideal conditions in home walls” enable the growth. Both deliver Part I.

Next, “the ant populations” in A talks about the ant populations living in the wall, whereas “ant populations” in D talks about ant populations in general. So, D fails to deliver Part II and is out.

In simple terms, if I say “I opened the car and took the food” – then I mean that the food was in the car. I am not talking about food in general.
However, if I say “I opened the car and took food” – then there is no such connotation. Maybe first I opened the car and later took food somewhere else.

Quote:
A) Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls that enable the ant populations to grow.
B) Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls for ant populations to grow.

Like D, B talks about ant populations in general, not about those in home walls. So, without “the” it fails to deliver Part II.

Further explanation is in the following post.

Quote:
C) Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls for growing ant populations

“grow” can be either transitive or intransitive verb. i.e., “growing” can be either an adjective or a noun.

Case 1: If “growing” is an adjective, then “ant populations” is the main noun in the phrase “growing ant populations”. As a result, ideal conditions are not for growth, but for populations themselves. No Part I.

Case 2: If “growing” is a noun, then “ideal conditions for growing ant populations” denotes that someone is growing the populations. Nonsense. Ant farm?

Quote:
E) Large amounts of moisture and darkness create ideal conditions in home walls that the ant populations can grow

“that” is just plain wrong. Whatever it modifies, it creates nonsense. Had “that” been “so that” or “in which”, the sentence would have become readable.

Hence A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 972 [2]
Given Kudos: 655
Send PM
Kudos
Well, I did quite extensive research. Well, B is wrong. Well, it’s wrong for a simple reason. Well, I like saying “well”, so once more “well” ))

Take very simple examples:

- I want to live in an ideal apartment.
- This apartment is ideal to live in.
- This apartment is ideal for me to live in.

- I want to live in ideal conditions.
- These conditions are ideal to live in.
- These conditions are ideal for me to live in.

- Ant populations grow in ideal conditions.
- These conditions are ideal to grow in.
- These conditions are ideal for ant populations to grow in.

B misses “in” at the end, and therefore is wrong. End of story.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Well, what will happen if we miss “in”?

1. “live something” vs. “live in something”

- “How to live a good life?” means that the thing we live is our life.
- “How to live in a good apartment?” means that the thing we live in is our apartment. We can’t live our apartment. We can definitely live a good life, good years, and good moments, but not an apartment. The absence of “in” changes the meaning altogether.

2. “conditions to do” vs. “conditions to do in

- a variety of conditions for animals to live in. (check the link )

- ...that will create the best possible conditions for people to work in. (check the link link )

- Self-injurious behaviour is an extremely difficult condition for staff to manage. (no “in”, from Oxford dictionary link )

The last sentence uses “condition” in the same way as B does. When “in” is absent, “to mange” refers back to “condition”. What do the staff manage? They manage an extremely difficult condition. Take a simpler example:

- “an ideal car for me to drive” means that I drive the car.
- “difficult condition for staff to manage” means that the staff manage the difficult condition.
- “ideal conditions for ant populations to grow” means that the ant populations grow ideal conditions. Absurd. Ants themselves don't grow or create ideal conditions; rather, “large amounts of moisture and darkness” create ideal conditions, and ant populations grow in such conditions.

Hence, B is wrong. To be right, B should read “ideal conditions for ant populations to grow in”.

Hence A.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 103 [1]
Given Kudos: 120
Concentration: Leadership, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Kudos

- That should refer to the word touching it. With that in mind you can eliminate A, D, E
- moisture and darkness facilitate ant populations to grow which is what we get from option B

B) for ant populations to grow

Senior SC Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 35485 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
The official explanation is here.
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9241 [1]
Given Kudos: 91
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
I received a PM asking for my views on this question.

generis wrote:
Spoiler alert (and this is an advanced question)
In this official question, [u]here, that reaches back over [u]two[/i] prepositional phrases to reach its noun.

In that official question, the intervening clauses are set off by commas. In that situation, and in similar cases, "that" (and similar words) would always 'reach back' to whatever preceded the commas. So in this (badly written) beginning of a sentence:

The harvest, made up of wheat and barley, that the farmer sold...

"that" automatically refers back to "The harvest", never to "barley". The same would be true if an intervening phrase were enclosed in parentheses, say: "The harvest (made up of wheat and barley) that the farmer sold..." If you remove the commas or parentheses, the situation would be completely different. Then the word "that" could refer to "barley" alone.

In the original question, the use of "that" in answer D is ambiguous. Many people above seem to think it's not. It is logically very possible that only certain types of wall are hospitable to ants -- maybe they live in wood, but not in brick. It is perfectly reasonable to think the sentence in answer D is describing only those walls in which ant populations can grow. But the intended meaning of the sentence (presumably) is that the conditions let ants grow, not the walls. So D is not a good answer.

B is the only justifiable answer here, but it's problematic for several reasons. It's not clear what meaning of "for" is intended, or what phrases describe which things (is it "the home walls" that are "for ant populations", is it the "conditions", for example). And because "grow" can be used both transitively and intransitively, it's easy to read the sentence to mean that the ants "grow" the conditions. As Jon pointed out earlier, that ambiguity disappears if you add a preposition after "grow", so that would be preferable, but strictly speaking, I don't think that's necessary. Taking a sentence with an intransitive verb:

"Low pressure creates conditions for storms to happen"

I don't see anything grammatically wrong with this (though it's bad writing, since there's no reason to say "to happen" at all). If you interpret "grow" in the original question in an intransitive sense (as in "the child grows (taller)") and not in the transitive sense (as in "the farmer grows vegetables") then I think B is technically acceptable. But it is unclear.

B is preferable to A for sure, because a definite article cannot be used before "ant populations" here -- that would raise the question "which ant populations?" and no ant populations have been described earlier in the sentence. You might compare with a sentence like this: "Qaad Business School requires applicants to have two years work experience". It would be incorrect to instead say "the applicants" here.

I don't think the sentence in the original question is well-enough written to be worth even this much discussion (no one would ever say that there were "large amounts of... darkness" in a wall, for example). And by moving "in home walls" before "create ideal conditions" in any answer choice, clarity immediately improves. The right answer in real GMAT SC questions is not the best of several bad choices. The right answer is generally the clearest and most precise way to express the sentence's idea.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts