Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 655-705 Levelx   Strengthenx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618977 [486]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 363 [290]
Given Kudos: 162
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V45
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64916 [131]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Affiliations: The GMAT Co.
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [74]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V41
Send PM
A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I think a nuance of option D has been missed in many explanations. So while many of us have eliminated D, it is not for the right reasons.

Quote:
(D) If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be.

Most explanations eliminate D by stating that the option presents a conditional and that the added condition ('rigorously enforced') is an additional requirement that we cannot assume must be met.
In other words, the explanations go something along these lines:
1. We need to support the prediction that implementing lane restrictions will attract more people to downtown businesses.
2. (D) states: If lane restrictions are enforced rigorously then more people will be attracted to downtown businesses.
3. Since we do not know whether the restrictions will be rigorously enforced, this option is incorrect.

Or, put another way, a common explanation is:
1. The answer choice is of the form If X then Y.
2. Since we don’t know whether X will happen, we can’t say whether Y will happen.
Thus the option doesn’t support.

I have two issues with such reasoning.

1. My first issue: The question stem.

Quote:
Which of the following would, if true, most strongly support the prediction that the plan would achieve its goal?

What do we need to support?
The prediction.

What is the prediction?
That the plan would achieve its goal.

The prediction is not that the plan will be executed.
The prediction is, I repeat, that the plan would achieve its goal.

Let’s say I make a prediction:

Cleaning our surroundings (plan) will make India a better travel destination (goal).

Am I making both of the following predictions:
1. We'll clean our surroundings
2. Cleaning them will make India a better travel destination.
?

The way I see it, I am not making the first prediction.

Will we clean our surroundings? I don't know.
But, I do predict that if we clean them, India will become a better travel destination.

2. My second issue: Understanding what the answer choice means.

Option D does not present a conditional in the sense that these posts explain. It presents a comparison. It is critical that we understand the comparison clearly. Let's understand precisely what the word 'otherwise' implies.

What is the 'otherwise' situation?

I. Does the answer choice state that if lane restrictions are rigorously enforced, more people will be attracted to downtown businesses than would be the case if the lane restrictions were not even enforced (i.e. compared with the current scenario)?

II. Or, does it state that if lane restrictions are rigorously enforced, more people will be attracted to downtown businesses than would be the case if the lane restrictions are not rigorously enforced? (i.e., a comparison between two hypothetical scenarios?)

The first interpretation presents a comparison between a situation in which lane restrictions are implemented and rigorously enforced, and a situation in which the restrictions are not even implemented (the present scenario).

The second interpretation presents a comparison between a situation in which lane restrictions are rigorously enforced and a situation in which lane restrictions are not rigorously enforced.

Hope you notice now that the option actually means the second interpretation (II).

Do you see it?

Now on to the reasoning.

Question: What would support the prediction that the plan would attract more people to downtown businesses?

Quote:
D. If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be.

Consider the following scenario: A certain percentage of the population appreciates lane restrictions and would be interested to visit downtown if these restrictions were implemented. However, within that chunk, a sub-percentage would only visit downtown if the restrictions are rigorously enforced. In other words, if lane restrictions are rigorously enforced, this entire chunk of the population would visit downtown. However, if the restrictions are not rigorously enforced, only a part of this population would visit downtown. This scenario is inline with option D.

But, how does this chunk of the population that appreciates lane restrictions relate to the total visitors to downtown? Does this chunk represent more people than currently visit downtown? We have no idea.

Here's another example to explain this option:
Let's say in a country the voters are to decide between two parties: Marvel (incumbent) and DC.

Now, let's say we have to figure out whether DC would be better than Marvel. And, we're given that If DC governs well then more people would be happy than would be the case if DC does not govern well. Does this statement lead us to understand how DC would fare against Marvel? It doesn't. The comparison is within two DC situations.

Answer choice D follows a similar structure.

This answer choice has no impact on the argument.

Now, let's add option C to the mix.
Quote:
C. In other moderately sized cities where measures were taken to make downtowns more accessible for walkers and cyclists, downtown businesses began to thrive.

If in these other cities, similar measures led to the number of visitors going up from their initial numbers, aren't you relatively more convinced that these measures could lead to the number of visitors going beyond the current number in the city in question as well? Of course, there is no certainty. But we are not looking for something that would confirm the prediction. We're simply looking for support, not a confirmation.

I often find students struggle with analogies in strengthen questions.

"If it worked for y, what's the guarantee that it'll work for x as well?" - a paraphrase of a question I often find GMAT takers wondering about.

Answer: There is no guarantee. However, we aren't looking for a guarantee. We are looking for support.

When you just started your GMAT preparation and were trying to decide which course/ resource/ tutor to go for, did you look at reviews and testimonials by other students? If you did, doesn't the same question apply here as well: If a course helped someone else score well, what's the guarantee that it could help you score well also? And the answer is the same. There is no guarantee. However, your belief in the course increases if you look at positive reviews left by test takers whom you might have some similarities with. The same reasoning applies here. Remember 'support' or 'strengthen' does not mean 'confirm'.

In this question, option D is incorrect (it does not support at all), and option C is correct (it supports).

An article in which I discuss analogies in CR answer choices in more detail: https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-handl ... 70572.html.

Originally posted by AnishPassi on 29 Mar 2020, 04:00.
Last edited by AnishPassi on 16 Jul 2022, 09:02, edited 10 times in total.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [36]
Given Kudos: 631
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Re: A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun DavidTutorexamPAL
Well I was confused between C and D.
I eventually went for D.
As in C it is true for other cities it doesn't necessarily be true for the city mentioned in the passage also it talks about business began to thrive but not about to attract more shoppers and workers
D directly mentioned about to attract more shoppers and workers
I agree with DavidTutorexamPAL. Option D is in the form if X, then Y, but it doesn't say that X will actually happen.

For example, take this one: "if we eat vegetables, we'll be healthy". Just this statement on its own doesn't tell us whether we'll be healthy. That depends on whether we actually eat our veggies. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [33]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
It is interesting that C is considered by GMAT to strongly support the prediction. If the same topic were to analyzed in AWA, we would attack C as making unsubstantiated analogy: what works in another city, albeit with similar size, does not necessarily apply here.

= = = Update on 6/23/2022 = = =

I expressed my frustration about this question over three years ago. Many kudos that post received demonstrated the similar sentiment among fellow test takers.

Yet, over the past three years, my attitude toward this question gradually changed. I can now eliminate option (D) with confidence. Here it goes.

"If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be."
Let's say, If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, 200 people will be attracted to downtown businesses.
Otherwise, only 100 people will be attracted to downtown business. Fair enough?

But we do not know how many people are visiting downtown business now! It might be any number from 50, 150, 250, to 500+.

Since the goal of the plan is to increase visitors to downtown business, simply knowing (D) is essentially irrelevant. True, If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be. But, even with the rigorous enforcement, the number of visitors may still be lower than current level. (Or it may be higher. Thus irrelevant.)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Grace, you are such a good writer; your AWA will absolutely be 6.

Originally posted by zhanbo on 08 May 2019, 06:07.
Last edited by bb on 29 May 2023, 12:08, edited 3 times in total.
examPAL Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 1777 [22]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bunuel wrote:
A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and is considering a plan that would reduce the number of lanes for automobiles and trucks and increase those for bicycles and pedestrians. The intent is to attract more workers and shoppers to downtown businesses by making downtown easier to reach and more pleasant to move around in.

Which of the following would, if true, most strongly support the prediction that the plan would achieve its goal?

A. People who make a habit of walking or bicycling whenever feasible derive significant health benefits from doing so.
B. Most people who prefer to shop at suburban malls instead of downtown urban areas do so because parking is easier and cheaper at the former.
C. In other moderately sized cities where measures were taken to make downtowns more accessible for walkers and cyclists, downtown businesses began to thrive.
D. If the proposed lane restrictions on drivers are rigorously enforced, more people will likely be attracted to downtown businesses than would otherwise be.
E. Most people who own and frequently ride bicycles for recreational purposes live at a significant distance from downtown urban areas.

CR95631.01
OG2020 NEW QUESTION

Breaking down our passage gives:
1. city is redesigning, wants less auto lanes and more bicycle\pedestrian lanes
2. this will attract workers/shoppers (because) it will make area more pleasant/easier to reach

The logic is extremely straightforward and we should therefore feel comfortable inferring a likely answer. This is a Precise approach.
In particular, we either need to strengthen that 'change in lanes' will cause 'more pleasant / easier to reach' or strengthen that 'more pleasant / easier to reach' will cause 'more shoppers/workers'.

Skimming through our options, (C) and (D) are the only ones that address these issues, but (D) also assumes that the restrictions are 'rigorously enforced'. Then (C) is a better choice.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [19]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun DavidTutorexamPAL
Well I was confused between C and D.
I eventually went for D.
As in C it is true for other cities it doesn't necessarily be true for the city mentioned in the passage also it talks about business began to thrive but not about to attract more shoppers and workers
D directly mentioned about to attract more shoppers and workers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [16]
Given Kudos: 71
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
A moderately large city is redesigning its central downtown area and is considering a plan that would reduce the number of lanes for automobiles and trucks and increase those for bicycles and pedestrians. The intent is to attract more workers and shoppers to downtown businesses by making downtown easier to reach and more pleasant to move around in.

Analysis:
Conclusion: Fewer lanes for automobiles and trucks AND more lanes for bicycles and pedestrians ---> attract more workers and shoppers

Assumptions:
Mixes causation and correlation
Fewer lanes for automobiles and trucks AND more lanes for bicycles and pedestrians ---> attract more workers and shoppers
OTHER Factors: price of items (cheaper) and higher remuneration, ease of parking -X--> attract more workers and shoppers

A. People who make a habit of walking or bicycling whenever feasible derive significant health benefits from doing so.
---> Irrelevant

B. Most people who prefer to shop at suburban malls instead of downtown urban areas do so because parking is easier and cheaper at the former.
--->Weaken: Cheaper at the former introduces another factor that weakens the conclusion ie it states that cheap may be a cause of people not visiting the area

---> Shows similar CAUSE ---> similar Effect {Keep}

---> Weaken: Shows that if lane restrictions is enforced then even without redesign (decrease lanes for automobiles and trucks) , people may visit the area

E. Most people who own and frequently ride bicycles for recreational purposes live at a significant distance from downtown urban areas.
---> Irrelevant
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [6]
Given Kudos: 150
Schools: IIMA WBS '22
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Kudos