Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [3]
Given Kudos: 618
GRE 1: Q165 V163

GRE 2: Q165 V163

GRE 3: Q170 V163
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [2]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Re: Trump trying to limit OPT [#permalink]
Kudos
For all international students -

If you are from India/China and want to stay in the US post MBA, you should ask your prospective B-schools what they are doing in terms of making it easier for skilled immigrants to get green card. Colleges will misguide you with this OPT/CPT talk but it's not relevant long term. There's a 100 year wait to get green card for Indian nationals - that means you will not be able to start a business in the US in your LIFETIME, you will live in the US as a 3rd class citizen for entire LIFE- there are tons of restrictions while changing job - heck you have to let USCIS know even if you change the home/address. All the while you are on H1B, you'll be one layoff away from losing everything. International students hand over colleges/local communities $100k+ every year and we are treated like criminals by USCIS, this may seem harsh but it's the truth. I suggest ONLY come to the US if you have an admit from T10 school that have brand recognization in the world/outside US. Don't take enormous loans to come to the US as chances are that you'll have to go back after MBA and finally think of going to top schools in Canada/UK that value merit.
BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]

Send PM
andyprezth wrote:

If you are from India/China and want to stay in the US post MBA, you should ask your prospective B-schools what they are doing in terms of making it easier for skilled immigrants to get green card. Colleges will misguide you with this OPT/CPT talk but it's not relevant long term. There's a 100 year wait to get green card for Indian nationals - that means you will not be able to start a business in the US in your LIFETIME, you will live in the US as a 3rd class citizen for entire LIFE- there are tons of restrictions while changing job - heck you have to let USCIS know even if you change the home/address. All the while you are on H1B, you'll be one layoff away from losing everything. International students hand over colleges/local communities $100k+ every year and we are treated like criminals by USCIS, this may seem harsh but it's the truth. I suggest ONLY come to the US if you have an admit from T10 school that have brand recognization in the world/outside US. Don't take enormous loans to come to the US as chances are that you'll have to go back after MBA and finally think of going to top schools in Canada/UK that value merit.

Hi andyprezth,
I'm not quite aware of how the H1 procedures and the green card system works. But could you please help me in understanding how the university can help with your immigration status apart from thr cpt? Isn't the H1 filed by the employer?

Posted from my mobile device
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51449 [5]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Calm down. A lot of what you said is not true. Also don’t apply if you don’t think it’s worth it. Don’t perpetuate falseness and fearmongering.

andyprezth wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 wrote:
Calm down. A lot of what you said is not true. Also don’t apply if you don’t think it’s worth it. Don’t perpetuate falseness and fearmongering.

andyprezth wrote:

Yes, I would agree with souvik101990 here. Please don't create a panic amongst the prospective students.

Regards,
Vinay
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
souvik101990 Please point out to ONE thing that I said that is false/not true?
In terms of what Universities can do - They need to use their lobbyists, they do have lobbyists in DC but don't use them for students. There's a massive lobby of lawyers that wants status quo to continue (more people in green card log/more complex immigration laws better for them). In past 12 years they proposed almost 6 immigration bills to reform the system but not a single bill ended up on President's desk - btw this is bi-partisan, this issue precedes Trump.

Here's an example: Dick Durbin is blocked S386 bill in Senate that would have given green cards to people who are waiting in backlog for years but look at his top Donors - lawyers.

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of- ... =N00004981

PS - I'm part of an immigration group that's fighting to change these Laws, we work closely with immigration advcates, travelled to DC to meet senators few times (before COVID of course) so believe me when I say, I know what I'm talking about.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Trump trying to limit OPT [#permalink]
Expert Reply
I do not think immigration is a part of the business school offering. Green card is NOT part of the MBA or any other degree. Business schools are offering education. Are you saying that they are selling work permits or visas? That would be illegal.... but that’s what you implied and the whole basis for your post. It is wrong.

If you’re suggesting that after paying for tuition, one should receive a green card, why shouldn’t one also receive a green card after buying a car from a GM dealer? Wouldn’t it be awesome if every Camaro came with a green card? What are the GM dealers doing to help MBA students?

PS. Another part of your post that is wrong is the one that blames business schools for policies and political issues. You are theorizing and implying that business schools are trying to hurt international students but aren’t they also marketing and spending dollars on attracting them? Or may be business calls or evil creatures that prey on unsuspecting international students to ambush them?

andyprezth wrote:
souvik101990 Please point out to ONE thing that I said that is false/not true?
In terms of what Universities can do - They need to use their lobbyists, they do have lobbyists in DC but don't use them for students. There's a massive lobby of lawyers that wants status quo to continue (more people in green card log/more complex immigration laws better for them). In past 12 years they proposed almost 6 immigration bills to reform the system but not a single bill ended up on President's desk - btw this is bi-partisan, this issue precedes Trump.

Here's an example: Dick Durbin is blocked S386 bill in Senate that would have given green cards to people who are waiting in backlog for years but look at his top Donors - lawyers.

https://www.opensecrets.org/members-of- ... =N00004981

PS - I'm part of an immigration group that's fighting to change these Laws, we work closely with immigration advcates, travelled to DC to meet senators few times (before COVID of course) so believe me when I say, I know what I'm talking about.

Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
"I do not think immigration is a part of the business school offering" - Well, then it should be part of their offering.

They shouldn't take $200k from students and not warn them about the future at-least. I know it's not in their interest to talk about this hence they market 30 month OPT as if it's a golden ticket, well it's not. I have gone through OPT, CPT, 6 hrs of H1B and now in GC line for 6 years. You may think I'm exaggerating things and I don't blame you because most Americans are unaware of this issue.
Founder
Founder
Send PM
Expert Reply
By the way, which MBA program costs 200,000? I know it can get up to 150k but not 200. Not for a FT MBA. Is that EMBA?

I think it would be awesome, if you could get a blank work permit that lets you do anything. I believe you can get it in Ecuador and panama if you bring in enough money. You can even get it in the United States if you bring in 1 million or 500,000 of outside investments. But if you have that kind of money on your hands to start with, you’re probably not stressed out about a work permit too much.

You are also opening a door to an interesting dilemma. Majority of the students enrolled in the US business schools are actually US citizens. Usually around 65-70% are US citizens. If you were suggesting that the current price of tuition should include a work permit that’s better than the current OPT, should then all the US citizens get a discount on their MBA? They’re not benefiting in anyway from this new amazing work permit. How is it fair that they’re paying the same price but not getting additional benefits? If anything, they will now have more competition for the best jobs.

I think it would be nice to update the immigration policies and make it easier to get a work permit. Frankly I don’t know that it’s really hard to get one today. All you have to do is find a job that will sponsor you for H1B.... I have gone through that and while there are drawbacks when it comes to losing employment or term expiration, The system seems to work. I’ve done it and gone through it.... but Here’s my suggestion, let the tuition be and instead use taxes to pay for the benefit of this amazing work permit. Maybe it comes with a tax rate equivalent to taxes in the wonderful places you have mentioned in your post, like Canada or Europe. So instead of a 30% tax, one could pay 50 or 60% that seems to be keeping everything in balance. First, you get the work permit; second, The financial rewards are equivalent with those in Europe were taxes are high, and third, the parity between the US citizens international students is restored, And finally if somebody wants to go home after graduation, or they don’t need this work permit, they don’t have to pay for it. Seems like a perfect solution esp since people on H1B pay less taxes today.

andyprezth wrote:
"I do not think immigration is a part of the business school offering" - Well, then it should be part of their offering.

They shouldn't take $200k from students and not warn them about the future at-least. I know it's not in their interest to talk about this hence they market 30 month OPT as if it's a golden ticket, well it's not. I have gone through OPT, CPT, 6 hrs of H1B and now in GC line for 6 years. You may think I'm exaggerating things and I don't blame you because most Americans are unaware of this issue.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 72
Send PM
I agree with bb and souvik101990 here that schools can not be held accountable to provide immigration. They are not even responsible for giving a degree to anyone, they all earn it out of their own efforts. Students pay huge sums to add value to their learning, get education, and use the school's brand name to gain more potential recognition and opportunities.
And when it comes to offerings, one can demand anything-immigration, $200,000 job guarantee, a beach house, Porsche :D
Before joining a US school, I believe everyone is aware of the immigration situation, nothing is secret.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Like I have said, ignore my posts if you are US passport holder or green card holder or even an International Student from any country minus India/China.

If you are from India/China, take it seriously, do your own research, and follow immigration news (from independent sources and not from admission consultants/colleges) closely. If you are from ROW (rest of the World), you can directly go from OPT to green card in months, US welcomes you. If you are from India, wait for 100 yrs to get GC and China, wait for 5/10 years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Hey! what’s it about students from India and China?
andyprezth wrote:
Like I have said, ignore my posts if you are US passport holder or green card holder or even an International Student from any country minus India/China.

If you are from India/China, take it seriously, do your own research, and follow immigration news (from independent sources and not from admission consultants/colleges) closely. If you are from ROW (rest of the World), you can directly go from OPT to green card in months, US welcomes you. If you are from India, wait for 100 yrs to get GC and China, wait for 5/10 years.

BSchool Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [1]

Send PM
Kudos
Interesting development guys
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes ... 253D#ampf=

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Something positive that I cam across today:
https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/uw-s ... 2.2020.pdf
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72876 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rimcovinay2552 wrote:

Nice! Thank you for sharing!!!

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: Darden '23
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
andyprezth wrote:

True
You seem to know a lot about the immigration and green card,
I had a query with regards to tbis, have heard various things but nobody is sure exactly how is green card issued, is the country determined by place of birth or by nationality,
Even for countries where birth does not grant citizenship like thailand, does categorization still hold based on country of birth or is it based on nationality or citizenship.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bb wrote:
rimcovinay2552 wrote:
Something positive that I came across today:

Nice! Thank you for sharing!!!

You are welcome bb!
Just trying to bring some optimism on the table.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 352 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Concentration: Finance, Statistics
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V39
Send PM
Exactly what I said earlier, modification (if need be) and not total halt of OPT
The funny aspect is there is no correlation between OPT and menial jobs in the USA (which was highly affected)
rimcovinay2552 wrote:

GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5